Dish Anywhere is great, unless your phone runs Windows.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Let me start off by saying please don't try to turn this into a religious flame war. I am fully aware of the market share numbers for phones that run Windows, yet I still choose to use one.

According to https://www.mydish.com/support/services/tv/mobile-viewing/dish-anywhere/system-requirements DishAnywhere supports PCs running Windows or OSX, iOS, Android and Kindle Fire devices. But there are no plans to support Windows phones or Blackberry.

I don't have a Blackberry but I do have a Lumia 950XL running Windows 10, which by the way runs the old SlingPlayer app just fine. It has a supported browser, Microsoft Edge, but apparently that's not good enough because even though it's 2016, Adobe Flash player is required.

I wonder if anyone at Dish has heard of "Project Islandwood" which will convert an iOS app into a Universal Windows 10 app without a lot of effort. Such an app could run not only on Windows 10 phones, but any Windows 10 PC, tablet, convertible, even the Surface Hub and HoloLens. I bet if they approached Microsoft, they would even offer to help do it.

Reactions: Stormy_2021
Yea I was very surprised that they have never supported it....and that goes back before Android was big..
And Slingbox has been owned by dish for 4 or 5 years?

With a lot more important issues to work on, and with Windows phones only having a 0.7% market share, I can understand why Dish decided not to support Windows phones.

Had that been how it was I would agree with you, but its not...
Never being supported, and Android was nothing at the time.
They are having the same problems with browsers now...very hit or miss...
I would of thought it would of been rock solid by now, and able to support more platforms....Far from it.

Considering that Microsoft itself is all but abandoning future Windows phones, it would hardly make sense to support it. Just the support calls they would get would make it not worthwhile.

I tried an inexpensive Windows Phone ($30). i was amazed at how well it did some things and really liked the tiled environment on a phone but the lack of apps made it a toy. there was either no app for a function or just one or two wher teh other OSes had several.

If you don't feel the need to follow all the trends, Windows Phone is utilitarian enough. Most of the more useful and popular apps are available- Facebook, Twitter, Waze, WhatsApp, etc. I got one because it integrated with my work better with Microsoft Office.

Windows phones, in essence, should be all set under Windows. Isn't Windows 10 supposed to be cross platfrom, between computers, tablets, (Windows) phones, and XBOX One?

That's what I was going to say too, but then I thought, who knows what kind of hardware-dependent code might have been written by someone antisocial enough to work on a DRM system in the first place...

Reactions: The Fat Man
If you don't feel the need to follow all the trends, Windows Phone is utilitarian enough. Most of the more useful and popular apps are available- Facebook, Twitter, Waze, WhatsApp, etc. I got one because it integrated with my work better with Microsoft Office.
About what my reply is. Actually Windows Phones get some good reviews and for the cost are pretty good phones..... EXCEPT - it has such a small market share there are just so many apps not available for it. It doesn't make it right or wrong but there are just so many others who do not make an app for Windows besides DISH.

Reactions: bobvick and DWS44
And I have been able to survive without those apps. The browser is good enough that most things don't actually need an app. But when a video streaming website requires Flash you're out of luck on any mobile platform unless that site also has an app.

Reactions: dare2be
Wasn't Flash supposed to be phased out? Seems impossible to make it secure.

I absolutely love the Windows Phone interface. It is more intuitive, informative (live tiles), and configurable. Sadly, even Microsoft is producing apps for iPhone/Android that aren't available on their own platform (especially their Microsoft Research aka Skunk Works dept.). I am hoping that with their iPhone convertor being open-sourced and by making Xamarin free that it will greatly help the WP ecosystem. Instead of building x86 apps, devs would wisely consider building Universal Windows Platform so that one code base can be used for desktop, tablet, phone, and xbox.

http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...tools-convert-ios-apps-windows-10-open-source
https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/20...-more-developers-to-build-apps-on-any-device/

If your only experience with WP is the ancient Windows Mobile 6 or earlier (totally different OS based on CE), or early versions of WP7/WP8, then try it out. Even WP8.1 is decent (and most phones can be updated via Internet and not though a cell provider). You can pick one up real cheap on ebay, Tracfone, etc. I've gotten nice units for $20-25. If nothing else, they make a great MP3/Pandora/Camera device to use when working in the yard (where you don't want to risk damaging your $500 phone), or to give to the rugrats to play with.

I absolutely love the Windows Phone interface. It is more intuitive, informative (live tiles), and configurable. Sadly, even Microsoft is producing apps for iPhone/Android that aren't available on their own platform (especially their Microsoft Research aka Skunk Works dept.). I am hoping that with their iPhone convertor being open-sourced and by making Xamarin free that it will greatly help the WP ecosystem. Instead of building x86 apps, devs would wisely consider building Universal Windows Platform so that one code base can be used for desktop, tablet, phone, and xbox.

http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...tools-convert-ios-apps-windows-10-open-source
https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/20...-more-developers-to-build-apps-on-any-device/

If your only experience with WP is the ancient Windows Mobile 6 or earlier (totally different OS based on CE), or early versions of WP7/WP8, then try it out. Even WP8.1 is decent (and most phones can be updated via Internet and not though a cell provider). You can pick one up real cheap on ebay, Tracfone, etc. I've gotten nice units for $20-25. If nothing else, they make a great MP3/Pandora/Camera device to use when working in the yard (where you don't want to risk damaging your $500 phone), or to give to the rugrats to play with.
Sorry you seem so vested, but in reality the phone is garage sale item, if you're lucky.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)