Dish Anywhere low Resolution on Toshiba Fire TV

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I have not used Dish Anywhere for 6 months since I lost my basement TV.
I purchased a 55” Toshiba 4K Fire TV for my basement.
1) Toshiba model 55C530LU
2) TV has excellent picture using Antenna, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube.
3) Toshiba network download speed is 211.33 Mbps.
4) My Hopper3 download speed is 228.45 Mbps.
5) Dish Anywhere version is 23.2.40

When streaming content from either of my 2 Hopper3 receivers I receive the following resolutions:
1) Initial Resolution is 240p
2) After a minute or 2 Resolution changes to 480p
3) After 3-4 minutes Resolution changes to 544p.
4) Eventually Resolution changes to 720p
5) Occasionally the streaming pauses.
6) My Spectrum internet speed is 200 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload.
7) In the past Dish Anywhere streamed over your Home Network once the login was established.

This is not acceptable. I have no interest in using the Hopper Plus but I would like to add a Joey 4 to my Dish account for my basement TV. Is Dish still requiring a Hopper Plus in order to get a Joey 4. I want the Joey 4 to allow me to watch Dish 4K HDR content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When streaming content from either of my 2 Hopper3 receivers I receive the following resolutions:
7) In the past Dish Anywhere streamed over your Home Network once the login was established.

This is not acceptable. I have no interest in using the Hopper Plus but I would like to add a Joey 4 to my Dish account for my basement TV. Is Dish still requiring a Hopper Plus in order to get a Joey 4. I want the Joey 4 to allow me to watch Dish 4K HDR content.

Might be worth checking to see that Smart Prepare for Mobile is enabled under Timer Defaults.

IThis is not acceptable. I have no interest in using the Hopper Plus but I would like to add a Joey 4 to my Dish account for my basement TV. Is Dish still requiring a Hopper Plus in order to get a Joey 4. I want the Joey 4 to allow me to watch Dish 4K HDR content.

I think DISH still requires you to get a Hopper Plus and tech visit to get a Joey 4.. Solid Signal has them for sale if you want to purchase it. Not sure if you can install it yourself or require a tech visit.

I think DISH still requires you to get a Hopper Plus and tech visit to get a Joey 4.. Solid Signal has them for sale if you want to purchase it. Not sure if you can install it yourself or require a tech visit.

I have seen that Solid Signal has the Joey 4 on sale for $132 with free shipping. The manufacturer retail price is $99 but that is only for dealers. But my return on investment using the two dollar savings per month for owned versus leased would be 66 months. At my age I am not sure I want over a 5 year commitment to be even.
My frustration is that after removing my leased Joey2 to reduce costs I used Dish Anywhere for at least a year with an Amazon Firestick with high resolution since it streamed over my home Gigabit network. But when Dish changed their Dish Anywhere player it messed up everything. I watch my basement TV when using my exercise bike.
Dish needs to be more flexible for us long time high dollar customers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Smart Prepare for Mobile is turned on for both of my Hopper3 receivers.
But that setting applies to when you are transferring a recording to your IPhone.

I thought I had seen somewhere that the setting was needed for normal Dish Anywhere use. Wonder if turning it on would have an effect for you.

I should ask my guys, and I will tomorrow, but I did one install on a fire TV with a hopper plus and the picture was absolutely terrible and no matter what I did I could not make it look better

Here is a screenshot using the Developer Tools Advanced Options that shows the resolution of Dish Anywhere on my Toshiba Fire TV

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 94
For a few years now (around the time sling adapters got discontinued) I have noticed this weird behavior where the resolution and bitrate always starts out really low, then slowly but surely increases until reaching 8Mbits/720p. I’m guessing this is to make viewing over mobile data more viable, as the bitrate can start low and increase/decrease as conditions change, and to handle other factors like crappy upload speeds at home. This all seems reasonable if viewing over the internet but for some reason the behavior does not change when accessing a Hopper locally, I have even gone as far as logging into to my router to ensure no video streams are leaving/returning from the internet when it happens to see if it’s a routing issue making the player thing it’s working over the net.

I should ask my guys, and I will tomorrow, but I did one install on a fire TV with a hopper plus and the picture was absolutely terrible and no matter what I did I could not make it look better
I have all Toshiba TVs in my house and 3 of them are Fire tvs 1 tv is 3-D. I have the picture controls basically on standard settings with a few tweaks. My picture using the hopper 3, I still have hooked up looks fine and the tvs in the other room look fine as well. Time to start tweaking his TVs for the best picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts