Dish Anywhere, On Demand, Mobile apps, I'm confused

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nickdma

Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
United States
I recently switched from cable, so I expect some of my confusion to come from adapting to new structure and terminology. I'm using a Hopper (1.0 from what I can tell, no integrated Sling). I don't have a Sling adapter. My Hopper is broadband connected.

I'm struggling with some inconsistencies, and I'm not sure if it's me, packages, limitations, or what.

If I go to DishAnywhere from my PC, I can watch "online" content. I can see my DVR content, and can't watch it, because I lack the Sling adapter. This is all good, I get it. I see quite a bit of content here.

If I go to my Hopper, and search for a show that I can watch from my PC, I can't find it. I thought there was supposed to be "online" content streamed to the Hopper if you're internet connected, and I think I've seen this. I find a huge discrepancy between content though. I think this is the normal "content provider restrictions" that are so prevalent with streaming now, but I'd like to confirm. I believe an example show I was using is "Haven".

The one that has me most puzzled, and I'm afraid the answer is "it's not supported on that platform", is the Dish Anywhere app. I see a lot of people talking about streaming content to their tablet and phone. With the android app, it seems that all you can stream, is live/dvr content from your Hopper (with a Sling of course). I think this is one of those "works on Apple, not on Android" cases.

In general, streaming to devices isn't terribly important to me, hence my not opting for a Sling. However, I do have kids who would occasionally make use of this. So if it's a capability I have, I'd like to understand how to utilize it and understand the discrepancies I'm seeing.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I've found the answer to this related issue, but I'm hoping there's a workaround... I can't believe that Dish, touting watching TV online for the family, doesn't have the concept of a billing account vs a "watching" account. I don't want to use my account login for my kids to use the web or the apps. You don't seem to be able to create multiple logins under a single account though. Heck, even the cable company let me do that.

I recently switched from cable, so I expect some of my confusion to come from adapting to new structure and terminology. I'm using a Hopper (1.0 from what I can tell, no integrated Sling). I don't have a Sling adapter. My Hopper is broadband connected.

I'm struggling with some inconsistencies, and I'm not sure if it's me, packages, limitations, or what.

If I go to DishAnywhere from my PC, I can watch "online" content. I can see my DVR content, and can't watch it, because I lack the Sling adapter. This is all good, I get it. I see quite a bit of content here.

If I go to my Hopper, and search for a show that I can watch from my PC, I can't find it. I thought there was supposed to be "online" content streamed to the Hopper if you're internet connected, and I think I've seen this. I find a huge discrepancy between content though. I think this is the normal "content provider restrictions" that are so prevalent with streaming now, but I'd like to confirm. I believe an example show I was using is "Haven".

Not all content available online will be available on the receiver.

The one that has me most puzzled, and I'm afraid the answer is "it's not supported on that platform", is the Dish Anywhere app. I see a lot of people talking about streaming content to their tablet and phone. With the android app, it seems that all you can stream, is live/dvr content from your Hopper (with a Sling of course). I think this is one of those "works on Apple, not on Android" cases.

Are you referring to On Demand content not being available on the Android platform? If so, its coming. The iPad is usually first to receive any updates.

In general, streaming to devices isn't terribly important to me, hence my not opting for a Sling. However, I do have kids who would occasionally make use of this. So if it's a capability I have, I'd like to understand how to utilize it and understand the discrepancies I'm seeing.

Mobile device streaming? You best option would be to get a Sling. It's $50 and no monthly fees and at least you will have it in case someone wants to stream. Or you can just wait until android gets the full on demand support like the iPad has currently.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I've found the answer to this related issue, but I'm hoping there's a workaround... I can't believe that Dish, touting watching TV online for the family, doesn't have the concept of a billing account vs a "watching" account. I don't want to use my account login for my kids to use the web or the apps. You don't seem to be able to create multiple logins under a single account though. Heck, even the cable company let me do that.

It isn't possible, but you could always ask a DIRT agent to pass along your feedback regarding this.

Much, if not most, of the Dish Anywhere online content is provided by Hulu. So, there is a plethora of programming available there. The On Demand offerings available on the Hopper are provided by the content providers themselves.

Yes. It is inconsistent. And, OnDemand navigation on the Hopper can be quite frustrating. But, it is much much much much worse on older DVR models, if you can believe that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts