Dish Anywhere on PC Full Screen NOT Full Screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dnworrell

Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Walkertown, NC
I've been posting feedback on the dish anywhere site complaining that full screen on the PC is not full screen. Maybe it's acceptable on an 80" monitor but most people are viewing on their laptop or desktop on something less than 24". That's a lot of real estate that's not being utilized on a smaller monitor not to mention burn-in potential. The video player for their on demand content is truly full screen and also their android app. So why not the pc player? It was truly full screen at one time. I'm using Internet at home to view content (mostly sports) so I can view it in full screen and don't really like using up bandwidth for this purpose. Is anybody else troubled by this?

I've been posting feedback on the dish anywhere site complaining that full screen on the PC is not full screen. Maybe it's acceptable on an 80" monitor but most people are viewing on their laptop or desktop on something less than 24". That's a lot of real estate that's not being utilized on a smaller monitor not to mention burn-in potential. The video player for their on demand content is truly full screen and also their android app. So why not the pc player? It was truly full screen at one time. I'm using Internet at home to view content (mostly sports) so I can view it in full screen and don't really like using up bandwidth for this purpose. Is anybody else troubled by this?

I have noticed that if you double click on the video window (instead of using the "full screen" maximize button in the top right hand corner), it will make the video truly full screen, however, you don't have playback controls when you full screen this way.

Just to let you know, the same folks that answer the website feedback, are the same DIRT members here and on the dish forum and Facebook. There was a huge thread on the main forum about it, but it appeared as though, for some reason, they went away from that option by design some time ago.

If you have a 4X3 aspect ratio monitor a "full screen" 16X9 video will fill the full width of the screen but will be letterboxed. There's no way a full screen video can occupy the whole screen without any part of the picture being cut off if the aspect ratios don't match.

I have complained about this before in this forum. If you have a 16:9 screen, and you are using a PC (I have only tried IE and Firefox), even when you select the "full screen" option (symbol in upper right corner) you do not get full screen. When you are full screen, moving the cursor to the bottom of the screen invokes the playback controls at the bottom of the screen, and some status info at the top of the screen. When you move the cursor away from the bottom of the screen, the playback controls and the status information disappears, leaving huge black bars at the bottom and top of the screen.

Wouldn't it be more sensible if Dish Anywhere would show a 16:9 video filling the entire screen of a 16:9 display? The playback controls could overlay the full-screen image when you move the cursor to the bottom of the screen, thus leaving the main video full screen. The way it is now, full screen wastes a lot of screen real estate for the pop-up playback controls which are not being displayed most of the time.

Edit: I missed this post:

I have noticed that if you double click on the video window (instead of using the "full screen" maximize button in the top right hand corner), it will make the video truly full screen, however, you don't have playback controls when you full screen this way.

I never knew that you could do this! Thanks caedmon59!

FWIW, the TiVo app (for remote viewing) has the same business with the black bars so that viewing on a mobile device is not filling the entire screen (although using the Fire app is full 16:9 screen filled). I know this is not a TiVo forum, but now that a solution is said for DishAnywhere may mean something simialr for TiVo. Point being that Dish Anywhere isn't the only one with this annoyance. I just thought I had to live with DishAnywhere not filling the screen. Thanks for the tip, I will certainly try it the next time, and then search the TiVo forum for a solution there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)