Dish Anywhere/ replace Joey?

JeffN9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Oregon, WI.
Hi,

I would love to get rid of one Joey if possible. I've read most of the threads that talk about streaming media devices and Dish Anywhere but want to make sure I get the right device and it will work for me. Sounds like the Amazon Firestick comes with the DA app already loaded, Roku doesn't have it and you can't add it?? If that's the case which Firestick model is the best for DA or doesn't it matter? The TV I would start using it on is a 32" 720p so I wouldn't need 4k unless I decide to move it later. Other questions:

1. What is it like opening the DA app and starting to watch tv? Could my non-techy wife use it?:)

2. What's the pix quality like? Good quality HD? My wifi runs around 80mps down so I should be able to stream anything.

For reference I have a H3 and two Joey 2's now.

Thanks for the help and advice.

I don't remember Dish Anywhere being pre-loaded. But it's an easy and free download. All you have to do is log in on your account once and you should be good to go. Unless you don't use it for so long you need to log in again...

Reactions: JeffN9
Ok. I made an incorrect assumption about DA being already loaded. This is where it's a bit of a gray area for me. How do you download app's on a Firestick? Is there a store like Google Play or just a list of what you can add somewhere? I had a Roku HD box a few years back that Dish gave me but it's apparently nothing like what is available now.

How do you download app's on a Firestick?

I just said "Dish Anywhere" into the remote and it found the app for me. As for a list, I have no idea. You can browse for apps, or search for apps, within the FireTV GUI. It's as easy as falling off a log. Yes, there is a store for apps which Amazon is anxious for you to use especially if it's a paid app such as HBO Go.

Reactions: JeffN9 and NYDutch
Sounds like getting the app on the device is easy. So after you open it how long does it take to respond and you're watching tv? On my computer it seems to be pretty quick although it has a few hiccups at first. I was looking at the stick that doesn't have voice because the only reason for buying it is to have DA on the one tv. We probably won't use any of the other app's much.

The biggest question is how easy will it be for my wife to use? Would I be better off keeping the Joey so I wouldn't have to listen to the inevitable complaints:(

You can even search for FireTV applicable apps like DA in the Amazon app store on your PC and download them directly to your FireTV or stick.

That reminds me of an inexplicable voice response failure. I missed the last 5 minutes of the last episode of Timeless, so I did a voice search. It gave me no option to buy. So I found it via my PC and bought it there (IIRC it was only $3), and that immediately showed up on my FireTV stick. :D

Reactions: NYDutch and JeffN9
Sounds like getting the app on the device is easy. So after you open it how long does it take to respond and you're watching tv? On my computer it seems to be pretty quick although it has a few hiccups at first. I was looking at the stick that doesn't have voice because the only reason for buying it is to have DA on the one tv. We probably won't use any of the other app's much.

The biggest question is how easy will it be for my wife to use? Would I be better off keeping the Joey so I wouldn't have to listen to the inevitable complaints:(

It is not difficult to use IMHO. That said, I would not choose to use it in a room where you watch TV all the time. We have it for occasional use in the workout room.

Go to the input where DA is connected to your TV, Go to Home on the remote if the App isn't already showing it. Select the DA app and there's a home page with suggested programming, but on top are links that say like Guide, Live TV, DVR, etc. From there, it should be easy

[media][/media]

I got rid of 2 wireless Joey's a while ago and replaced them with Dish Anywhere on Firesticks in our kitchen and bedroom. Dish Anywhere works great. Only "issue" is you have to re-validate your credentials every now and then so I keep a bookmark on my ipad to quickly do that. Other than that, it's totally worth saving $14 or so a month.

Go to the input where DA is connected to your TV, Go to Home on the remote if the App isn't already showing it. Select the DA app and there's a home page with suggested programming, but on top are links that say like Guide, Live TV, DVR, etc. From there, it should be easy

Great video, thanks for sharing it. There's probably a bunch of others on YouTube that I haven't taken time to check out. I have used DA on my PC and tablet so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Just didn't know how well it would work to replace a Joey on a tv.

Reactions: HipKat
I got rid of 2 wireless Joey's a while ago and replaced them with Dish Anywhere on Firesticks in our kitchen and bedroom. Dish Anywhere works great. Only "issue" is you have to re-validate your credentials every now and then so I keep a bookmark on my ipad to quickly do that. Other than that, it's totally worth saving $14 or so a month.

This is the kind of experience I was interested in. Which model Firestick do you have? Did everyone in the household adjust to it pretty easily?

The only issue my wife has with the Firestick remote and DA is the direct channel entry selection. She's given up on it and just continuous scrolls to the channel she wants in the guide.

The only issue my wife has with the Firestick remote and DA is the direct channel entry selection. She's given up on it and just continuous scrolls to the channel she wants in the guide.
Yeah, well, you can tell her that she's not the only one with that problem. Guide scrolls pretty fast for me though....

I've got 2 regular Fire TV sticks and one Insignia Fire TV Edition TV for casual viewing (one in the kitchen) My experience is like others have mentioned.

Pros
  • Eliminates the Joey Cost
  • Easy to use
  • Easily access other apps (It's easy to watch HBO through my Prime Subscription)

Cons (really more like Limitations):
  • Simple remote makes direct channel number entry clunky. (I typically do the fast scrolling like others)
  • Only 1 device can access the Hopper at a time. (Not an issue for me)
  • No ability to create a favorites list to filter the guide
  • Having to re-authorize the device from time to time
Overall I really like the Fire TV experience. I got the 2 sticks for $19.99 each during one of Amazon's regular sales. I was able to eliminate one Joey 2 and add more TV's for a very low price.

Thanks for all the great information. I decided that I should just go ahead and bite the bullet so I ordered a 4K stick yesterday. Even though I didn't need the 4K part right now it might be important down the road.

Thanks for all the great information. I decided that I should just go ahead and bite the bullet so I ordered a 4K stick yesterday. Even though I didn't need the 4K part right now it might be important down the road.
I ordered four 4K Fire Sticks to give to grand kids. Best Buy has them on sale, two for $85.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)