Dish Anywhere Streaming Speed

It could be how much your router is allowing the hopper. Check your settings and make sure that there are no blocks. Now I am internet dumb, so I may mess this up, and apologize if I do, but you can also try "setting the dmz" for the hopper. You will have 100 guys here that will correct what I'm trying to say, but basically, a specific route to the hopper from the router(in laymen terms). I know I get an average if 16mbps on the hopper, with a 50mbps speed from cox.

Thanks ChadT41 - There are no blocks on the router, QoS is disabled, no special routes etc. The router config is pretty generic. My question shouldn't have anything to do with the ISP speed (which is normally 30 Mbps) - I am trying to simplify the debug by focusing on my hardwired LAN. Next step is to check all of the connections and ports, though the speed restriction still seems to be coming from the Hopper.

I had similar problems with my LAN getting full-bit from my Slingbox and Roku. After some monkeying, I decided to change my router (to a better one) and problem solved. Some of these common consumer (cheap) routers are often the problem. Also, if there are any switches (also common consumer cheap), especially un-managed ones in the LAN, this is another point of problems. Also, how a Router handles buffering and/or how much it is able to buffer could be part of the problem

The router I have dynamically examines the packets and automatically provides priority for video, VOiP, etc. with no having to manually set QOS and static IP addresses. I have several un-managed switches in my LAN and the Router has been a complete joy always handling the traffic automatically with HD, 1080p at multiple points of download for the last 2 years. Superiror buffering also may have been a difference. Best investment ever.

Consider a more recent Router and capabilities and superior buffering if your LAN is as complex with lots of devices connected to it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks. The Linksys E4200 is rated pretty highly. I do have a Netgear 10/100 switch in the system that is pretty old, but given all the things I have tried, and how well everything else works on my network, it seems that things point to the Dish box. Thanks for the suggestions.

Update on my issues ... I had both WiFi and Ethernet connections on the Hopper enabled. It seemed that "after a while", traffic from the Hopper was being sent via the WiFi connection - which in the room where the Hopper is located, is not strong. I experimented and changed the WiFi connection password to something incorrect, thereby disabling the WiFi connection. After a day (presumably when the DHCP lease expired) the Ethernet link went down. So could not reach the Hopper at all. Others have had DHCP issues as well .... so looks like my bandwidth issue was related to the Ethernet connection dropping out and the Hopper falling back to a weak WiFi connection that is only capable of supporting ~800kbps. I wish I could assign a fixed IP to the Hopper, but now experimenting with assigning IPs (give out the same one each time to a given MAC address) via my Linksys E4200 ...

The router I have dynamically examines the packets and automatically provides priority for video, VOiP, etc. with no having to manually set QOS and static IP addresses. I have several un-managed switches in my LAN and the Router has been a complete joy always handling the traffic automatically with HD, 1080p at multiple points of download for the last 2 years. Superiror buffering also may have been a difference. Best investment ever.

Which router do you have?

Update on my issues ... I had both WiFi and Ethernet connections on the Hopper enabled. It seemed that "after a while", traffic from the Hopper was being sent via the WiFi connection - which in the room where the Hopper is located, is not strong. I experimented and changed the WiFi connection password to something incorrect, thereby disabling the WiFi connection. After a day (presumably when the DHCP lease expired) the Ethernet link went down. So could not reach the Hopper at all. Others have had DHCP issues as well .... so looks like my bandwidth issue was related to the Ethernet connection dropping out and the Hopper falling back to a weak WiFi connection that is only capable of supporting ~800kbps. I wish I could assign a fixed IP to the Hopper, but now experimenting with assigning IPs (give out the same one each time to a given MAC address) via my Linksys E4200 ...

Why don't you try out your DHCP Reservations in your router? Your Hoppers will always keep the same IP address and quit hopping around. I keep all my HWSs, Joeys, printers, Xbox One, and Slingbox 500 in my router's DHCP Reservations and never have any issues.

Last edited:
Does your Hopper Ethernet connection routed thru your switch before reaching your router? If so, try bypassing your switch if you have a long enough Cat cable to reach your router. Your switch might be acting up and causing your issues.

Reactions: ChadT41
Does your Hopper Ethernet connection routed thru your switch before reaching your router? Yes, it does. Still experimenting. I left WiFi enabled over the weekend (so WiFi and Ethernet were both enabled), but found speed was only ~800 kbps to my browser (same network). I found one IP in the DHCP list that I had not included in the fixed DHCP assignments list, so fixed that and re-started the E4200 router. Speed was back up to HD, 8000+ kbps. If I take the switch out, I wouldn't be able to keep anything else connected - AppleTV, TV, A/V Receiver etc. I suppose I could string another Cat5/6 line, but the only way to determine this would be to experiment. The switch is a Netgear 10/100.

Does your Hopper Ethernet connection routed thru your switch before reaching your router? Yes, it does. Still experimenting. I left WiFi enabled over the weekend (so WiFi and Ethernet were both enabled), but found speed was only ~800 kbps to my browser (same network). I found one IP in the DHCP list that I had not included in the fixed DHCP assignments list, so fixed that and re-started the E4200 router. Speed was back up to HD, 8000+ kbps. If I take the switch out, I wouldn't be able to keep anything else connected - AppleTV, TV, A/V Receiver etc. I suppose I could string another Cat5/6 line, but the only way to determine this would be to experiment. The switch is a Netgear 10/100.
Let us know how your experiment goes bypassing the switch. Also, make sure your Hopper is connected in one mode only. Ethernet is the preferred, keep that WiFi turned off by using an incorrect password in your Hopper. Did you set up your Hopper IP in your router's Reservation list? That might help too so your Hopper keeps the same IP address.

Upon closer investigation, the Netgear 10/100 "switch" was actually a "hub" (probably 14 years old ...) .... and there IS a difference. The Netgear 10/100 Hub had the Hopper, A/V Receiver, DVD Player, TV, and Apple TV connected to it, and the hub was connected to one of the ports of the router (Linksys E4200). Generally only one of those devices would be streaming content at any given time, but apparently there are enough collisions generated to cause performance to degrade ... generally noticeable after 1-2 days. A 10/100 hub should be able to handle 8 Mbps, right ? Well no. The old hub is gone, replaced by a Linksys SE2800 switch, that is connected to the Linksys E4200. I haven't seen the speed of the stream from the Hopper decrease since the hub was extracted from the network ....

Upon closer investigation, the Netgear 10/100 "switch" was actually a "hub" (probably 14 years old ...) .... and there IS a difference. The Netgear 10/100 Hub had the Hopper, A/V Receiver, DVD Player, TV, and Apple TV connected to it, and the hub was connected to one of the ports of the router (Linksys E4200). Generally only one of those devices would be streaming content at any given time, but apparently there are enough collisions generated to cause performance to degrade ... generally noticeable after 1-2 days. A 10/100 hub should be able to handle 8 Mbps, right ? Well no. The old hub is gone, replaced by a Linksys SE2800 switch, that is connected to the Linksys E4200. I haven't seen the speed of the stream from the Hopper decrease since the hub was extracted from the network ....
Glad you got it working. A switch is always the better way to go instead of a Hub.

Reactions: sjsherratt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts