Dish AnyWhere Transfer I need genius help.

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
Now that I have acquired a device to connect my Note 3 Android phone to the HDMI port of any TV, and have mastered the art of transferring a show from the Hopper with Sling to the phone. How do I get the files onto an SD card so I can provide enough capacity to bring with shows for a 3 week trip?

You can't put them on the card. If you have an internet connection you can watch them using Dishanywhere.

I need a better answer than that. The Internet connection on my Verizon 1 GB/mo or even a 10 GB per month would evaporate very quickly if I was streaming with Dish Anywhere. I was looking for the file on my phones internal memory and could not even find it. Who knows, I might not even recognize it if I could find it.
What good are SD cards if you can't store large data files like DA on them?

Wife and daughter went on a long trip so I had to dump a ton of recordings onto my tablet recent. Very familiar with this option. If your device has an SD card then in the app's settings under Transfers you will see the two areas (have a Samsung tablet and phone so I have the external card option which is great). One for internal and one for external storage. You have the ability to turn external on or off from there.

One thing to note. Not sure if it was just me or if a bug on the Dish app, but at times I would set a DVR recording to transfer to my tablet and even though I did have the external card option enabled the recording would transfer to my internal storage. I had to cancel the transfer, go to settings, disable then enable the external storage option then try again. Frustrating.

And you will not be able to see individual recordings on your device IF they are stored on internal memory. Believe the app bundles the recordings into the application somehow where you do not see the individual transfer files.

Wife and daughter went on a long trip so I had to dump a ton of recordings onto my tablet recent. Very familiar with this option. If your device has an SD card then in the app's settings under Transfers you will see the two areas (have a Samsung tablet and phone so I have the external card option which is great). One for internal and one for external storage. You have the ability to turn external on or off from there.

One thing to note. Not sure if it was just me or if a bug on the Dish app, but at times I would set a DVR recording to transfer to my tablet and even though I did have the external card option enabled the recording would transfer to my internal storage. I had to cancel the transfer, go to settings, disable then enable the external storage option then try again. Frustrating.

And you will not be able to see individual recordings on your device IF they are stored on internal memory. Believe the app bundles the recordings into the application somehow where you do not see the individual transfer files.

I found the settings area you described. I only have a 1 GB SD card in the phone now and the Dish Anywhere Settings for Transfer only shows Internal memory. I am guessing there is not enough capacity on my card so DA did not offer it as an option. What size SD card did you use and how many hours of TV were you able to put on it?
I am trying to determine what size and how many SD cards I should buy.

I am trying to determine what size and how many SD cards I should buy.

Agree with tallfence. Make sure you read the specs for whatever device (phone or tablet) to know the maximum size SD card. But pretty much any newer device should allow for at least a 32GB to 64GB card. I did just recently have a 32GB card fail on me and lost a few of the shows I was starting to transfer for my daughter. So cards do fail at times.

I have a Samsung Tab 4 tablet I use for travel and have a 32GB card in it, rated with pretty fast access times. Can't recall how many shows I loaded because my daughter has it now while she is on vacation. But I know I loaded a lot of shows on it with probably 10GB left. Mostly 30 minute programs but some 1 and 2 hour shows also. Seem to recall that a 30 minute HD program will run around 400-500MB in storage size?? So you can get a good estimate from there.

For your 3 week trip it all depends upon how much you are going to watch. Meaning, if you live in NY and are taking a trip to China and then stuck in a hotel room all night then heck yeah, you may need some storage. But only you know how much time you want to devote to watching TV shows vs. sleeping, sight seeing or hanging out with friends/coworkers. IMO, if you are truly wanting to store recordings on the card and nothing else, then I would suggest multiple 32GB cards for those really long trips. Just in case a card fails you don't loose everything. But I'd say a 32GB minimum is good enough.

...and unless it was just me/my device or typical, there may be times of frustration when watching a transferred recording when all of a sudden the playback stops. Then you have to start again and go back to the place when it stopped.

...and unless it was just me/my device or typical, there may be times of frustration when watching a transferred recording when all of a sudden the playback stops. Then you have to start again and go back to the place when it stopped.

I have experienced that while streaming but I thought transfered files not allowed to do anything but smooth uninterupted playback, never a glitch.
I did find an interesting deal on a 64 GB SanDisk Class 10 for $25 that may be just what I need I am planning ahead since I probably won't leave until August. Is it true the transfered files self destruct after 30 days?

Reactions: iwannarock1
Is it true the transfered files self destruct after 30 days?

No, not all in my experience. Unless something recently changed.

Now, when you select a recording to transfer to your mobile device in some cases it does display a message that the recording you are transferring will only be available for 60 days. May be other deadlines like 30 but I think 60 is typical. In those cases once the transfer completes you will see the number "60" in the upper corner of the show icon in your transferred list. Wait a day and look again and the number goes to 59, and so on.

Other times it will prompt you that by transferring the recording it will remove it from your DVR. So it will only exist on the mobile device, generally without any sort of time deadline like above. At least I have not seen both of these conditions for one recording.

If you do not see either of these then the recording should stay until you delete it. I had a few 30 minute shows left over from a trip I took months ago and long since deleted from my Hopper, but were still on the tablet. For me, I plan and transfer recordings as close to my trip as possible and do not transfer and then leave on the device for months in preparation.

And for the playback glitches, doesn't happen all the time. Might be a combination of things going on with the tablet/device like other processes interrupting, maybe I originally had a slower SD card, etc...

My test transfer has a large 9 in the upper left corner. It seems like it was 3 or 4 weeks ago that I transfered it originaly, but I did not make a record of the date.
If it is gone in 9 days that is fine since I already watched it on the big screen from the HwS.

Reactions: Tron2012

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts