Dish Anywhere transfers to Android... SD card and other questions

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
Rather than threadjack the iPad thread... I have an 16GB Nexus 7.. which only has ~5GB of space left... I want to put shows on for me.. and for the kids (car trips).. I have a USB-OTG SD card connector, and I know I can put data on it.. but wasn't sure if I could _move_ the Dish xfers over to SD storage.. that way I could fill up one SD card with shows for the kids.. and another SD card with shows for me.

Also hadn't seen anything to tell me how long these are valid for.. ie. I assume it has to "phone home" at some point to verify that I still have my Dish subscription, etc ? (ie. Amazon Prime allows off-line viewing, but their material expires after 30 days, or something like that)

all in all a very nice feature that Dish offers... just trying to make the most of it.

thanks,
Mike

EDIT: my N7 is rooted.. not that I do anything with it other than AdBlock.

I have a Tab 4 w/16GB storage. After all the apps and other things that cannot be moved to an SD card are loaded you are a bit limited in the space for downloaded recordings. Think long road or business trips and wanting to catch up on your recordings. You have to play around with what you have loaded on the tablet and the number of recordings you can store.

Seems the Dish app only allows itself to be loaded on the device and not moved to the SD card. So the app stores the recordings where it is loaded/running and not as individual files that we can see or move to an SD card if main tablet storage space is low. Might also be a security issue. Where they are making it difficult to have people move recordings from one device to another by loading recordings onto a removable SD device.

Reactions: ChadT41
I've always maintained that it fits the DRM. Stations are already pissed at dish for allowing transfers as is, so this is sort of Dishs way of compromising with both sides.

If the device is rooted, you could try to bind mount a folder on the SD card to wherever Dish is putting the files.

Reactions: TheKrell
If the device is rooted, you could try to bind mount a folder on the SD card to wherever Dish is putting the files.

So far this is the only idea with a chance of success... so I'll say it's a wonderful idea :) but... being only a moderate unix weenie... will it behave well enough when I have no SD card at all? I would would really be idea to have some kind of startup service which would scan for the SD card and change the folder to point to an SD when present, else to somewhere within the device.. or even to make it change location based on which user profile is logged in.

And sure I understand with DRM that flexibility might be limited.. I am not trying to break the DRM.. only to reduce the amt of loading/reloading. Also I am 99% sure (unless I set up some kind of VPN) that I couldn't load one set of shows for the flight out.. and then replace them for the flight home? (ie. I'm assuming I have to be on my local network to xfer shows).

Still better than the competition offers.. but not as perfect as it could be.

EDIT: FWIW, with 3 episodes of Sesame Street for the kids, and one ~2 hour movie for me, I am showing just over 5GB of storage consumed.. so it's pretty much 1GB/hour

Last edited:
Just recorded a movie from HBO and when I went to xfer, it said it would be deleted from the DVR ? Everything else I've xfer'd has stayed on the DVR? is this the result of a "copy once" flag being set on the movie?

That's due to HDCP and DRM. There are some movies that once transferred will be removed off the dvr completely.

I tried to transfer an HBO movie and it said the same thing: Will be transfered off your dvr. I did the transfer and it did delete off my dvr and it also never showed on my I-pad when I was through. I then checked and it takes up space on my hard drive on my I-pad but I can't access it to watch it. I had to reset my I-pad hard drive back to the beginning to get it off my I-pad. So now I don't do any transfers of HBO shows at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)