DISH ANYWHERE USER LIMIT AND 30 DAYS

Denvered

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
denver
I’ve got a Hopper 3 and I have installed dish anywhere on an iPad, and iPhone, and to Amazon fire sticks.

Today, I noticed in the Amazon fire stick settings for the app a section titled “authorized devices.” It lists for devices and states that the maximum amount of devices that can be linked to the account is five. That’s fine and I knew that I could only authorize five devices. However, it also lists next to each device a number of days remaining. It looks like this:

AFTSSS 30 Days Remaining
AFTMM 26 Days Remaining
AFTMM 27 Days Remaining
AFTMM 30 Days Remaining

The iPad and the iPhone settings under authorized devices says that “ Devices are automatically authorized when you watch on-demand programs. Authorized devices are automatically removed after 30 days of an activity.” Both the iPhone and the iPad say that there are 23 days remaining. All of this appears under a section entitled authorized devices which has under it subsections authorized devices for on demand an authorized devices for purchased content”

What does this mean? Does it all apply only to on demand and/or purchased content? Does it apply also to just watching OTA and DVR content? Will I lose access on each device in 30 or 26 days? Will I need to reauthorize or log in again?

Thanks.

It means simply that when the 30 days are up, you simply get a code from the FireStick or other device when you open DA and you type the code into the Dish website (URL on the same screen as the code) and you are good for another 30 days. It's sort of a cleanup routine so their servers don't get bogged down with unused authorizations.

Just a word of advice: The ALL CAPS in the thread title may be considered "shouting" and could end up getting your thread deleted. I recently had a thread with an exclamation point (!) in the title get deleted, even though I started that thread five years ago! So, they are really starting to get strict and crack down around here. :eeek

• Sad
Reactions: AZ. and TheKrell
I’ve got a Hopper 3 and I have installed dish anywhere on an iPad, and iPhone, and to Amazon fire sticks.

Today, I noticed in the Amazon fire stick settings for the app a section titled “authorized devices.” It lists for devices and states that the maximum amount of devices that can be linked to the account is five. That’s fine and I knew that I could only authorize five devices. However, it also lists next to each device a number of days remaining. It looks like this:

AFTSSS 30 Days Remaining
AFTMM 26 Days Remaining
AFTMM 27 Days Remaining
AFTMM 30 Days Remaining

The iPad and the iPhone settings under authorized devices says that “ Devices are automatically authorized when you watch on-demand programs. Authorized devices are automatically removed after 30 days of an activity.” Both the iPhone and the iPad say that there are 23 days remaining. All of this appears under a section entitled authorized devices which has under it subsections authorized devices for on demand an authorized devices for purchased content”

What does this mean? Does it all apply only to on demand and/or purchased content? Does it apply also to just watching OTA and DVR content? Will I lose access on each device in 30 or 26 days? Will I need to reauthorize or log in again?

Thanks.
Sorry for the Caps. It was inadvertent and not an attempt to emote.

Just a word of advice: The ALL CAPS in the thread title may be considered "shouting" and could end up getting your thread deleted. I recently had a thread with an exclamation point (!) in the title get deleted, even though I started that thread five years ago! So, they are really starting to get strict and crack down around here. :eeek

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:biggrin

In my experience it mean next to nothing as far as regaining access. No, you do NOT LOSE anything as far as settings or preferences, DVR transfers, etc. even if the 30 day period has passed. I think the limit is 5 devices tied to each Hopper. Yes, each Hopper is counted as a separate of 5 devices.

In my experience, if a device has not been used for Dish Anywhere (and to my experience it has meant just loading the app and being connected to your account and particular Hopper--again with accounts that have 2 Hoppers, each Hopper is granted its own 5 device limt) in the last 30 days, and there is at least one room for one more device to be allowed access (say 4 out of the 5 slots are used, but that ONE is still open) has not been used in the last 30 days, it automatically places that past 30 day device in the place of now authorized devices. There is NO prompt to enter usernames or passwords if you have done so in the past--IN MOST CASES. In fact one of my tablets does NOT have access to wireless networks, only WiFi, so to be certain I can still access my DA DVR transfers, I just LOAD the app at home with access to the internet to reset the tablet's DA access for the next 30 days, and I can view my DVR transfers with no internet connection and with no problem.

However, if all your 5 slots are filled with devices less than 30 days since last use, then you will get a message stating that you have reached your limit of devices on one account, and are advised that if you wish to have the current device access Dish Anywhere, then you must REMOVE at least ONE other device from the list of devices. In this case, you may be required to log on the device to be added after removing one of the other 5 devices from the list.

We have at least 3 devices tied (meaning on the LIST) to one of the Hoppers at all times. However, some of those devices have not accessed Dish Anywhere for as long as a few months, which means they have expired access to DA, but since they are on the list, the moment we load DA from the FireTV or phone or tablet, they will load and automatically gain re-access for the next 30 days with no prompt to log on. Easy Peasy; no work involved.

One way to think of it is that in the case of the limit of 5 devices already on the list, it functions like a revolving door: if one device has passed the 30 day limit, then any OTHER device not on the list will take that expired devices place on the list automatically, I can't recall if you have to log on in that situation even if the device has been logged on before. The only time you have to take an action of removing a device is if you are trying to add a 6th device, and all the other 5 devices are still within their 30 day access period.

Now, that is from personal experience, and Dish may have changed things, since, but it is really pretty hassle free, and even the process of removing a device so that you can have room on the list for a different device is not that big of a deal, either.

Last edited:
In my experience it mean next to nothing as far as regaining access...No, you do NOT LOSE anything as far as settings or preferences, DVR transfers, etc. even if the 30 day period has passed.

Thanks so much. Your explanation is terrific. .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)