Dish Anywhere vs DirecTV Everywhere (Mobile DVR)

you need to read the entire thing

Mobile DVR is a DIRECTV app function that gives you the freedom to enjoy shows you recorded to your DVR Playlist anywhere you go-on your tablet or phone. With a high speed internet connection, you can stream them or download to your mobile device and watch them offline. Plus, you'll get access to even more live streaming channels.

My reading comprehension is fine than you.

Just because they're on your play list doesn't mean they come from your DVR. I could be wrong but I've been told over and over that's how it works.

Reactions: bobvick
Not sure I care where it comes from, as long as I can actually download the shows for offline viewing.

Yea, we had a guy the other day who tried to get that working and it didn't work for him at all.

Read the wording very carefully that says "With a high speed internet connection, you can stream them or download to your mobile device and watch them offline." which seems to imply the content comes from the internet and not from your DVR.

Has anybody on the DirecTV forum answered yet?

No responses yet.

One other thing I believe just as with TIVO live shows must be recording to watch.

No responses yet.

The silence is deafening. ;)

I just downloaded the app but I couldn't log in because our showroom account credentials don't work and I can't create a proper account without a pay account.

I do know that if TV Anywhere is important to you that the H3 and Sling blows DirecTV away.

Reactions: ncted
If you decide you want Directv but are not happy with their out of home system you could get a real Slingbox. The picture is fantastic even streaming with just decent upload and download speeds. Apps available for phones, tablet, Fire TV, WD Live Player and in a little different way Roku. There would be zero restrictions on what you can watch just have to follow directions to avoid HDCP restrictions.

Reactions: AZ. and JSheridan
If you decide you want Directv but are not happy with their out of home system you could get a real Slingbox. The picture is fantastic even streaming with just decent upload and download speeds. Apps available for phones, tablet, Fire TV, WD Live Player and in a little different way Roku. There would be zero restrictions on what you can watch just have to follow directions to avoid HDCP restrictions.

Yes, that would be an option I suppose.

OK, I felt so bad no one could really answer the OP's question that I decided to fire up the PC and respond:
I have extensive experience with Dish Anywhere; TiVo app both mobile and the Amazon Fire TV version; and with Slingbox.

First, the Dish Anywhere app works VERY well performing all tasks as expected. Yes, streaming live is great; Out or Home experience is very reliable and everthing works and is great; show tranfers are great, and unlike the TiVo app, Dish Anywhere really works when there is NO access to internet, altnough you need to have connected to the internet within 30 days for access of some features, but this is also true for Amazon Prime Video on mobile devices. Be aware that it is ONE stream per person at a time, no multiple streams. So, only ONE person can be watching LIVE TV or watching DVR recordings at any one time. This, I believe, is how Sling can legally stream ANY content from your home with no restrictions. Of course, you can have any number of people (limit of 6 devices, I think) with access to access and view, but just ONE at a time. If you feel you need more than this, then consider getting a SECOND Hopper. The other Hopper is treated as if it is a seperate deivce for streaming, so in that case, you could have up to TWO people streaming at the same time one accessing one Hopper and the other person accessing the other Hopper.

With DA ALL channels to which you subscribe and ALL recordings on your DVR from your Hopper box will stream with NO restrictions due to content restrictions. This is a very big difference from the TiVo app and just about all of the other MVPD streaming TV anywhere mobile options that often have some channels or content that you can NOT watch remotely. Dish Anywhere easily the KING of acess to ALL your content as far as watcing EVERYTHING you get at home can also be viewed or played back on your mobile device or PC or whatever.

I use DA on true Android and Amazon tablets, and all works well. Amazon app store has the Dish Anywhere app designed for for the Amazon tablets, so no sideloading necessary. I will say DA has been 98% reliable with only one ocassional problem, always on my Amazon tablets: For some reason when I launch it very soon after booting up the Amazon tablets, DA will fail to load. This can happen a number of susequent times in the early stages having booted up. I think there are processes going on (I do have a scanner takeing up quite a bit of resources at boot up) in the background and DA can't load. I either wait, or wait and then reboot, and then the DA will load as it should. That happens like once every 3 weeks or so, but only on my Amazon tablets. Meanwhile my Sling Player app on the Amazon's ALWAYS load with no problem (you have to have a seperate Slingbox for that explained later). My Amazon HDX is my MAIN DA device and it has never dissappointed, so far, except for that rare annoyance explained before. :)

With DA you can watch LIVE TV (without having to initiate a recording like with TiVo) or any DVR recordings or even access even more content via access to DA Online content which is often tied to your subscription level, so there are a host of movies and libraries of past or recent shows available for viewing, again tied to you subscription level, and the experience is not having to be redirected to another site, it all appears to happen in a more seamless way as if everything is from DA. The one thing it currently won't do is access an external HDD that has your other recordings. This is an annoyance for some people on this forum. So, only the internal HDD can be accessed. BTW, the external HDD is handeled differently with Dish than TiVo. With Dish (exceptions only being Dish boxes that use ONLY an external HDD for recording) the internal HDD of the box is used for all recordings. You may then TRANSFER recordings to as many external HDD's as you like, the original is NOT saved on the internal HDD. This allows one to make more space for recordings while also preserving the recordings you've transfered to the external HDD should the internal HDD die, and they all do. But that is another thread. Back on topic:

The quality of the DA stream is EXCEPTIONAL even in slow upstream systems with, say, only 4Mbps, because the Sling tech uses propriatary encoding tech that can take a really slow upstream or slow downstream and after a few minutes of on the fly adjusting, make it look really good HD quality, It constatnly keeps working and improving the quality on the fly to the point of being impressed by the PQ. Not so with the TiVo app.

Transfers of shows is reliable and can be fast IF you have already prepared the video for transfer. If you have not preped a show for transfer, then that can take some time. The solution is to either select the option to "Prepare This Recording for Transfer" per each timer you create if you think you will want to transfer it later, or you can select the option to "Prepare ALL recordings for Transfer" and you never have to think about it because it all happens automitically. Either option, what happens is that in a mere few seconds after the DVR finishes recording the event, it immediatly begins the preparation process, which is really just re-encoding the show to a much smaller file that takes up little room so it can fit on your mobile device. Don't worry, the PQ is still great. Then, whenever you are ready, all you have to do is TRANSFER the show and it takes just a few minutes because it has already been prepared. Believe me that is the way to do it and it takes so much LESS time. If the show has not been prepared, then when you transfer, it will first prepare with a re-encode--which takes a long time depending upon the content being SD vs HD and the length of the content, and if it the content is talking heads or a lot of actions sequences--and then it will transfer the show all in one step. I think it can take about 15 minutes to prepare a one-hour HD show, I think. But don't worry, like I said, if you didn't prepare it, it will do so automatically when you transfer. ALSO, If you have already recorded a show you didn't think you wanted to transfer and you did not set it to prepare, all you have to do is find that show on your DVR recordings list, press INFO and you will see the option button to "Prepare for Mobile." If it is grayed out, then it has already been prepared, but if it is NOT grayed out, then select the "Prepare for Mobile" button and it will beging the process and will be ready later when you transfer your recordings.

Transfers, I believe, are that with all content except the premium movie content (like HBO, Starz, etc.), it actually creates a COPY to transfer to the mobile device, so that means the original is still on your DVR so that others can still watch it at home. Again, I belive in the case of the premium movie channels, it is a true TRANSFER to the mobile device, meaning the orginal is NO LONGER on the DVR for others to watch.

Finally, the Slingbox: Well, that is already built into the Dish Hoppers, but DA and Slingbox operates a little differently from each other. I bring this up because the Slingbox has been my 100% rock solid backup. I got it for my TiVo, but also have it connected to my Hooper becaue the Slingbox 500 allows two devices to be conneted at the same time. Good thing for the rare 2% occasion DA is not loading. However, the DA functions in the BACKGROUND as if someone were using a Joey client in another room to view and this does NOT interfere with someone else who is watching in the Hopper or a Joey at the same time. However, the Slingbox accesses your devices just as if you were home in front of the Hopper or Joey such that it would interfere with someone who wants to watch the device at the same time. But, there are few advantages to the Slingbox, even with a Hopper with Sling:

1. Accessing the external HDD (can NOT be done using DA).

2. Ability to use the PIP feature if connected to the Hopper or the SWAP between channels feature on a Joey (these two features can NOT be done using DA).

3. There are probably a few more things that can be done via Slingbox because the experience is just as if you were in the room using the box, but not DA that I don't know about.

Also, with a Slingbox and a conntected device like a Roku or Amazon Fire TV, you can view Slingbox content on an HDTV from anywhere in the world. The Amazon Fire TV is the best solution for that becuase it uses the Sling Player app with a direct connection between the Slingbox and the Fire TV--even if within your LAN, and you can use the Fire TV remote control to control the Slingbox whereever it may be. On the other hand, the Roku Sling Player app requires you to initiate the stream on a mobile device then "cast" it to the Roku conncted to your TV, but the problem is that,aside from being a bit more cumbersome and forcing all remote control functions via the mobile device instead of the Roku remote control, while it does establish a direct connection between the Slingbox and the Roku, even if your Slingbox and your HDTV are on the same network LAN in the same house but in different rooms, for example, the stuipd Roku process sends the Slingbox stream OUT to the public internet and then back down from the public internet to back to your LAN in the same house/network, so if you have a slow UPSTREAM--as I do--the PQ takes a hit, while the Fire TV Sling Player app streams in full HD PQ within your LAN because the stream never leaves the LAN. Gorgeous, full HDTV PQ.

Of course, the Slingbox and Hoppers with Sling both have the same Sling propriatary encoding tech, so both perform equally well with regard to great PQ in low bandwidth situations.

To be clear: you will only really need DA for your needs. I use DA 98% of the time for my mobile viewing because I like it so well. Its just that on ocassion I may prefer to use the Slingbox like a few weeks ago at a Starbucks when I really wanted CNN's live Convention coverage and my local news in PIP. I first loaded DA, then rememberd, "Oops. I can't do PIP with DA," so I exited DA and launched Slingbox and got the PIP I wanted. But that is just me and a few other powerusers. The DA app is still the bees knees and probably all you need.

If I think of anything else, I try to post. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tampa8
Wow. Thanks for the extremely detailed response!

I am still not sure what I want to do. I would probably prefer the Dish solution, but the programming packages do not favor my choices from a price perspective. Also, I would not have access to the unlimited data plan and cell phone bill discount I would get with DirecTV and AT&T. I think I need to run some numbers to figure out what all my options would actually cost me.

I am still not sure what I want to do. I would probably prefer the Dish solution, but the programming packages do not favor my choices from a price perspective. Also, I would not have access to the unlimited data plan and cell phone bill discount I would get with DirecTV and AT&T. I think I need to run some numbers to figure out what all my options would actually cost me.

the cell phone IS NOT unlimited data, it can be throttled after 22gb

the cell phone IS NOT unlimited data, it can be throttled after 22gb

It CAN be throttled after 22GB, IF there is network congestion. The data is still unlimited, but they can slow down how fast you can use it. The people I know who have this plan have not been able to detect any throttling. If they are being throttled, it is still at a usable throughput. Another option is Cricket's Unlimited Plan which is always throttled to 8Mbps. I need either Verizon or AT&T's network for where I work and travel.

Please take a moment and go to dishes official site....There are many problems with Anywhere(limited support)....and when it goes down it takes months to fix.....if ever....
I would say Slingbox real downfall is its all streaming from your home, and no recording/playback.
When anywhere works its awesome....biggest key is upload speed.

Please take a moment and go to dishes official site....There are many problems with Anywhere(limited support)....and when it goes down it takes months to fix.....if ever....
I would say Slingbox real downfall is its all streaming from your home, and no recording/playback.

My current upload speed is 2Mbps. That will jump to 1Gbps as soon as Google Fiber is available in my neighborhood (6-12 months). I think I am going to try the DirecTV solution as it costs the least by far. Worst case, we can add the slingbox, and, with "unlimited" data, we would be fine. Thanks, SatelliteGuys folks. As always, you're the best.

My current upload speed is 2Mbps. That will jump to 1Gbps as soon as Google Fiber is available in my neighborhood (6-12 months). I think I am going to try the DirecTV solution as it costs the least by far. Worst case, we can add the slingbox, and, with "unlimited" data, we would be fine. Thanks, SatelliteGuys folks. As always, you're the best.

I love my slingbox.....I have dish and direct....I understand the price thing also.....Hope you get the outcome you want.

What do you mean by no recording/playback?

I don't concur with that very generalized statement. Only problems I have ever had were with updates of browser plug in. I would also bet some complaints come from people with NEW hoppers that don't wait out the 72 hr "Hopper bake time".

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts