DISH Anywhere when traveling w/o internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

duckbilled

Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
Detroit
Hi,

I have been trying to figure out a solution to this. We will be traveling out of the country to a place where English TV channels are scarce, and we cannot rely on hotel/aircraft wifi for streaming from DISH Anywhere.

Wasn't there a day when we could transfer DVR recordings to devices? I'd like to be able to transfer my recordings to my laptop so I can connect to hotel TV via HDMI, but I would also like to transfer to an android tablet for viewing by the pool and on the plane. The DISH rep I just spoke to said it was no longer possible. I needed a HopperGO. Those are out of stock.

Any idea or solutions? Do I finally have to dump DISH after 10 years, because there is there someone out there that makes this easy? We have Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts. I was prepared to buy a HopperGo, so I'm not opposed to spending a little.

Right now, the only thing I can think of is to rely on prime and Netflix and get a VPN, but I'll still be tied to wifi.

Thanks!

Using Dish Anywhere on a phone or tablet allows you to transfer DVR content from your Hopper3 to the phone or tablet. I have never tried using a laptop but it works well with my IPhone 6. To make the transfer go faster you should select "Smart Prepare for Mobile" to on. This is found under DVR Timer Defaults.
For the transfer to work your phone or tablet and the Hopper3 must be on the same network.
1) Start Dish Anywhere on your phone or tablet
2) Select DVR and the program you want to transfer
3) Select Transfer
4) you will get a message - Transfer Success "Successfully added to transfer queue"
5) To watch the transferred programs Select More and Transfers.

Using Dish Anywhere on a phone or tablet allows you to transfer DVR content from your Hopper3 to the phone or tablet. I have never tried using a laptop but it works well with my IPhone 6. To make the transfer go faster you should select "Smart Prepare for Mobile" to on. This is found under DVR Timer Defaults.
For the transfer to work your phone or tablet and the Hopper3 must be on the same network.
1) Start Dish Anywhere on your phone or tablet
2) Select DVR and the program you want to transfer
3) Select Transfer
4) you will get a message - Transfer Success "Successfully added to transfer queue"
5) To watch the transferred programs Select More and Transfers.

Thanks. Once this is done, is there any need for an internet connection?

No once the content is on your phone or tablet no network is needed. I just tested Dish Anywhere on my Windows 7 laptop and i could not find a way to do transfers on the laptop. So it appears that transfers are limited to phones, tablets, or the Hopper Go.

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out a solution to this. We will be traveling out of the country to a place where English TV channels are scarce, and we cannot rely on hotel/aircraft wifi for streaming from DISH Anywhere.

Wasn't there a day when we could transfer DVR recordings to devices? I'd like to be able to transfer my recordings to my laptop so I can connect to hotel TV via HDMI, but I would also like to transfer to an android tablet for viewing by the pool and on the plane. The DISH rep I just spoke to said it was no longer possible. I needed a HopperGO. Those are out of stock.

Any idea or solutions? Do I finally have to dump DISH after 10 years, because there is there someone out there that makes this easy? We have Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts. I was prepared to buy a HopperGo, so I'm not opposed to spending a little.

Right now, the only thing I can think of is to rely on prime and Netflix and get a VPN, but I'll still be tied to wifi.

Thanks!
I have used to HopperGo when away from home any really like it. There are still some on Ebay and possibly some of the other Dish Equipment Resellers out there. Not sure. One place I looked at showed it as "discontinued".

My wife uses the transfer function of Dish Anywhere every day. It works great 99% of the time. This was one of the primary reasons we chose Dish over U-Verse when we moved last summer.

Hi,

Thanks!

Is your cellular provider Tmobile by any chance? Their international data plan has an add-on that gives you unlimited hotspot both overseas and domestic. You could then use your phone to "sling" Dish Anywhere to your TV devices..

1.jpg

Reactions: navychop
I'm a very regular user of Dish Anywhere. You cannot transfer recordings to a laptop at this time, but you can do so on Android and iOS devices. If you want to watch them on a TV, I suggest a lightning to HDMI cable for iPhone or iPad users, and Micro (or USB-C) to HDMI for Android devices. They aren't very expensive or hard to find on Amazon.

I'm a very regular user of Dish Anywhere. You cannot transfer recordings to a laptop at this time, but you can do so on Android and iOS devices. If you want to watch them on a TV, I suggest a lightning to HDMI cable for iPhone or iPad users, and Micro (or USB-C) to HDMI for Android devices. They aren't very expensive or hard to find on Amazon.

Lightning to HDMI no longer works. Dish blocks it.

One frustration for me when using the Dish Anywhere app on my Android tablet is an annoying message I get periodically when opening a good, transferred recording. "The license is not available to play this video." I only use DA when traveling so I don't use it all the time. The message drove me nuts as I thought the recordings I was trying to watch while on the plane were bad so I deleted them. Made for a looong flight.

What I eventually found was that if I closed the app and reopened OR if I completely powered off /reset the tablet that when I tried to view again, they played. But there have been times where I had to do this twice to get the recordings to finally play in the DA app.