Dish Anywhere work-around

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Had a thought.

With Dish Anywhere it looks like I must go through the Internet to access my DVR so apparently the service will be limited by my Hopper upload speed to the Internet ... correct? Well, this almost certainly makes it impossible to have HD quality since most DSL stuff is pretty low on the upload side. Mine is 10Mb up and 770K down which is fairly normal for phone wire.

If someone is in say their den and wants to use the computer to look at their DVR via the sling is there a way to connect to it via the home network and bypassing the Internet or must it always go through the Internet?

If you are watching in your home then the video is only streamed on your in home network. It does not send the video out on the internet and back again. :) (just make sure you are on the same network at home!) :D

Thanks for the reply ... I'm still fuzzy on this so more help needed to understand.

Scott are you saying that once I log in to Dish Anywhere and start watching my DVR that I could actually disconnect the router from the Internet and it would continue?

I have one router connected to the Internet. The computer and the Hopper are connected to that same router. I am not sure how the "direct" connection is made between the computer and the Hopper ... help me understand this please.

Well yes and no. Your receiver and your device you are watching on will still need the router to talk to each other, but after the authorization is done and you start watching TV on your device all that traffic stays on your local network, it is not sent out on the internet and back again. The router connects the devices together. (Its like a traffic cop) :D

Mine is 10Mb up and 770K down which is fairly normal for phone wire.

I'll bet $100 you have your numbers backwards?..... Download is what is good for a DSL not upload....

Your in house network probably runs either 150 or 300 Mbps

I'll bet $100 you have your numbers backwards?..... Download is what is good for a DSL not upload....

Your in house network probably runs either 150 or 300 Mbps
Yes they are --- 10Mb down ... 700K up.

The reason I was curious is that the wife wanted to watch Cutthroat Kitchen in her office. She logged into Dish Anywhere and accessed the DVR and started watching the program. The audio sync was so bad it is not watchable. I though it may be the connection speeds but apparently it is not. Viewing the same show directly from the DVR it is fine. She is hard wired to the router also.

I just tested Scott's information by pulling the DSL line out of the Router and sure enough it kept on working ! Magic, but same audio sync problem.

The reason I was curious is that the wife wanted to watch Cutthroat Kitchen in her office. She logged into Dish Anywhere and accessed the DVR and started watching the program. The audio sync was so bad it is not watchable. I though it may be the connection speeds but apparently it is not. Viewing the same show directly from the DVR it is fine. She is hard wired to the router also.

I just tested Scott's information by pulling the DSL line out of the Router and sure enough it kept on working ! Magic, but same audio sync problem.

For kicks....try a different browser! See if the lag is still there.

If it's an older router you might want to consider upgrading to a newer Wireless N router or even better a wireless AC router. Those do better on streaming video then older wireless B or G routers. :D

I have Century Link DSL and a Westell 7500 router on the system ... ??
We are both hard wired back to the router and not using a wireless connection.
However, the Hopper is using a wireless connection back to the router.

About 3/4 of the way ... two bars. It is excellent.

I also notice that the Dish Anywhere is pretty laggy on the screens. May be fine on an iPad or something but I only have a PC (which does not have a problem)

Try Cut throat Kitchen and see if you get the same result.