Dish Anywhere worked great last week while on vacation

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Last week I was on vacation at Cape Cod and I used Dish Anywhere quite a bit (on my Fire Stick). I was surprised that it worked perfectly for me! I was able to watch live and pre-recorded programs without any buffering, erase shows, and schedule new recordings, all without any problems at all!

With all the problems that get reported here, it is nice to post something positive about Dish. This got me thinking about how much better Dish's equipment is compared to everybody else. Yes, they have problems too, but their equipment and interface are really good.

They have been doing a LOT of work to Dish Anywhere. And I have been testing a MAJOR upgrade which is absolutely amazing, with some really nice changes! The Dish Anywhere team has been doing an awesome job as of late. I can't wait for this update to be released to everyone, you guys are going to be majorly impressed.

Thanks Scott, that is good to hear. I like that Dish continually tries to improve things. I agree that the Dish Anywhere team is doing a really good job.

Just checked and the answer is no. :(
I have hundreds of NOVA and Nature episodes stored on my EHD, including a number of duplicates. I was going to use DishAnywhere to sort them by title and delete the dupes. But alas, Dish removed that ability from my 722 (and later removed all functionality from my Sling Adapter). :mad: Bah humbug. Maybe there are now other sorting options available directly from an H3...

Reactions: charlesrshell
They have been doing a LOT of work to Dish Anywhere. And I have been testing a MAJOR upgrade which is absolutely amazing, with some really nice changes! The Dish Anywhere team has been doing an awesome job as of late. I can't wait for this update to be released to everyone, you guys are going to be majorly impressed.
Scott, you're such a tease :)

So you can't tell us about the changes. Can you hint when we might see this update, approximately?

Tony, I am curious about Dish anywhere. So, I downloaded app to my ipad. I understand you can view live tv from Dish when you are away or in a different room in the same house.
How does viewing prerecorded shows (on your hopper) work? I imagine you stream from your own box, meaning you need to have a strong internet connection with unlimited data at home. Is wifi connection at home (between modem and hopper) enough or do you have to use ethernet cable?

Dish anywhere is very inconsistent - most of the time it works decent - sometimes great, and sometimes not at all.

I primarily use it via a Fire Stick when travelling too - so I hope they continue to have this app available in the Amazon environment.

The only thing I'd like to see in the future (aside from continue to improve the stability/performance) is a Windows 10 app. I've started using my 13in 2-in-1 notebook a lot more when travelling to watch stuff during flights due to the larger/better screen. I don't want to carry a tablet just for Dish. So far I have just elected to not watch Dish stuff during travels and stick to Amazon/Netflix (which both allow downloads for offline viewing, like Dish does on Android), but it would be nice to be able to use my notebook as well instead of a small phone screen or carrying a larger tablet.

It depends on the network you are on, some hotels don't let you access it, nor have I been able to get it on planes. But most of the time it works good.

I haven't ran into a place that blocked it yet (except China). Onboard a flight isn't possible due to bandwidth - which is why the offline viewing app would be very nice.

When on the ground with a good connection, the website will do, but the app (Fire or Android) does seem to be MUCH more stable than the website in general.

My question still is:
do you transfer recordings from Hopper to tablet and watch them with dish anywhere app or stream from Hopper to tablet whenever tablet is connected to internet?
does the app work better if you take your fire stick with you? The last hotel I stayed last June in Erie, PA had a terrible wifi service. Worse than a dialup!!!

I haven't ran into a place that blocked it yet (except China). Onboard a flight isn't possible due to bandwidth - which is why the offline viewing app would be very nice.
I haven't been in a hotel in Las Vegas where is has worked. And I stayed in most of the hotels there. Then if its CES week... forget it even trying to load any webpage is almost impossible.

Scott, lets say you transfer a nature show ( a show that you would like to keep in hooper’s hard drive for future views) to tablet. Does that mean it no longer exists in Hooper? So, you are not making a copy and actually removing the show permanently?

Scott, lets say you transfer a nature show ( a show that you would like to keep in hooper’s hard drive for future views) to tablet. Does that mean it no longer exists in Hooper? So, you are not making a copy and actually removing the show permanently?
I haven't transferred anything in awhile, but I believe this is correct, it would remove it from your DVR as you are only allowed one copy.

sktrus, Dish Anywhere also works with Chrome-based web-browsers (I use Microsoft Edge) but I have found that it works much better using the Dish Anywhere app on my Fire Stick. It works pretty well on my iphone and ipad too. If you watch live while at a remote location, you'll need a good upload speed from your internet at home. I almost always watch live and download only if I have to.

While at home, Dish Anywhere works over your network (without going out to the internet). For me, while at home it works just as well with either wi-fi or ethernet. Also, my HWS is connected to my home network using wi-fi, and as I said, it worked great for me while on vacation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts