Dish Apartment Installation

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I currently live in an apartment, and have toyed with the idea of getting DISH here. My question is, how will they install it? What are my options. I know I've seen poles mounted in a bucket of cement...my question is, what kind of pole would I need to get, and how can i make the pole level (plumb?) I have also seen tripods... does anyone have information about these...and how well they hold up in the wind? Thanks!

mecro said:
I currently live in an apartment, and have toyed with the idea of getting DISH here. My question is, how will they install it? What are my options. I know I've seen poles mounted in a bucket of cement...my question is, what kind of pole would I need to get, and how can i make the pole level (plumb?) I have also seen tripods... does anyone have information about these...and how well they hold up in the wind? Thanks!

I would wait until the installer gets there to figure out the specifics. First thing is first. Do you have a line of sight from your exclusive area? (patio/balcony) If the answer is no, see what the apartment complex restrictions are for placement of the dish. If they will not allow the dish outside your exclusive area then everything is dead in the water - you don't get dish. If they will allow the dish to be placed somewhere on the building then you get dish. The installer will obviously be able to tell you if you have line of sight.

If one of DISH Network's own field installers are coming out everything is provided including the mounting equipment, tripod, pole, etc... at least that's what we do here. A contractor or retailer may or will charge you. Wait til' the installer shows up before buying a pole - he may have one.

Let the installer worry about how plumb the pole is, and you can always weigh down the tripod by hanging a gallon jug of water or a cinder block from the base, etc... If you have a iron railing the dish could be secured to that without damaging it, or the installer may have a heavy rubber mat called a non-penetrating mount that could be used to put the dish on. The installer will hopefully know every trick in the book for mounting the dish in your area. A good retailer will know for sure so don't worry too much about that.

You should check with the apartment management either before or when the installer gets there to know specifics from them if it's ok to mount the dish to the building and drill the wall for cable penetration or perhaps the prewire box is accessible. Otherwise the dish will be in the exclusive area by you (patio, balcony etc... and the cable will come through the window or sliding door and routed throughout the inside of your apartment.

Last edited:
is it possible to install a dish inside an apartment? My apartment faces South and I have no balcony. My neighbor has a dish and an apartment a floor above mine also has a dish mounted to the window ac unit. I asked my apt manager about installing one of my own. SHe said I was not allowed because our apt building has a contract with the cable company. I asked about the two dishes already up and she said they were there before the cable contract. What about my freedom of choice? or am I just screwed because I don't have a balcony?

As an installer it ALWAYS comes down to landlord restrictions with regards to apartments or any rentals. If the customer is willing to sign off on the paperwork in lieu of the landlord I'm always willing to install.

With that said, your case sounds pretty bleak to me. You already know any dish isn't allowed. So if any install occurred and your landlord/apartment manager caught wind of it after the fact then Dish will probably have you incur the cost of de-install. Not a cheap thing.

to: CURED1

The apartment complex is giving you incorrect information, congress has made law that you can install a dish if you want. It however needs to be in space under your control. In my case I have a small cement pad but because other apartments also have posts holding up balconys, I was permitted to plant a pole, in my case a pressure treated 4x4. There are things that the apartment can do however, e.g. charge a fee (in my case $100) to make sure the equipment is removed when I leave. They can prohibit you from piercing the exterior walls (in my case I use a flat pass thru cable in the window) etc.. The point is they by law must allow you to do it! What I would do though is since your neighbor has a dish, see if you can piggy back on his dish since it is the receiver that is personalized. You might need to upgrade the lnb to a twin or a dual ? never get them straight! and run your coax, that way you avoid the apartment mgt for the most part. On the downside you need to agree what happens when either you or your neighbor leave and get the apartment on board in allowing you to assume ownership/responsibility for the dish. Good luck, it can be a battle, it was in my case. Oh and one other thing I was required to have it installed by a pro, dont need to be the programming provider though, just someone who does installs as a business. Howard

Last edited:
according to dishnetwork and the fcc I don't need permission if the dish is installed in one of these areas.

A Balconies
B Patios
C Gardens
D Areas totally within the
exclusive use of the resident

and i do need permission if installed in these areas

1 Common areas
2 Rooftops
3 Outside walls
4 Window sills

I don't have a balcony, patio or garden. I am on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building. The other two dishes are installed on the window unit air conditioner which is actually installed in the wall just under the window.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)