Dish asks FCC to test 138.5 with E-10

All these weird locations are going to take some funky super duper dish to tune..

Oh well, you might be able to get 110, 119, 129, and 138.5 on a Dish 1500!

Or maybe just different slots for different DMA's just like they had for 105/121 SuperDish only we will probably see an extra slot in there somewhere. I imagine they will try to keep the top markets on the Dish 500 to save money. Seems like it would work well for the west coast. Perhaps they will have a SuperDish for west coast and one for the east coast for HD locals.

RandallA said:
They will probably do the testing at 138.5 and then move it to the final destination at 110.

There is no "probably" about this. That is exactly what Dish will do. The operative word here is "test". Funny how folks either don't bother to read the FCC filing and still post or have a comprehension problem.

I did not know if they was going to test then use it later on (trying to gather more bandwidth) or test only. I did not read it this time I do admit until after I posted. I get a bit sleepy sometimes when I'm on here posting this late. I should have known that E10 was going to 110 with spotbeams, didn't think.

rocatman said:
There is no "probably" about this. That is exactly what Dish will do. The operative word here is "test". Funny how folks either don't bother to read the FCC filing and still post or have a comprehension problem.

I never read it either, I was just letting Stargazer know that they will do the testing there first.

Last edited:
By this application, EchoStar Satellite Operating Corporation (“EchoStar”) respectfully
requests special temporary authority (“STA”) to permit it to "test" its new EchoStar 10 spacecraft
at 138.5° W.L. for a period of up to 90 days following launch.

I'm curious as to were the Echo 11 will go up at. They don't have a date or a destination scheduled yet, though. Maybe they will hurry up with the Echo 10. I think it will be good for us HD customers for them to get it up.

BrettTRay said:
I'm curious as to were the Echo 11 will go up at. They don't have a date or a destination scheduled yet, though. Maybe they will hurry up with the Echo 10. I think it will be good for us HD customers for them to get it up.

The slot that the E-11 satellite will go to is unknown at this time. What is known is that it will be a DBS satellite as opposed to a Ka band or extended Ku band (KuX) satellite and it is scheduled to launch in early 2007. It could go to 61.5, 77, 86.5, 110, 114.5, 119, 129, 148 or 157.

By the way if you read the FCC filing it states that E-10 is scheduled to launch in early February 2006.

rocatman said:
The slot that the E-11 satellite will go to is unknown at this time. What is known is that it will be a DBS satellite as opposed to a Ka band or extended Ku band (KuX) satellite and it is scheduled to launch in early 2007. It could go to 61.5, 77, 86.5, 110, 114.5, 119, 129, 148 or 157.

By the way if you read the FCC filing it states that E-10 is scheduled to launch in early February 2006.
Well, c'mon guys - you're missing the obvious here.

If they want to test E-10 @ 138, might that be a possible spot for E-11?

I forget what country "owns" the 138 slot, though.

I figured there would be a reason to test at that particular slot, to see how a satellite would work there. Wouldn't the central and western U.S. be able to pick that slot up? It would be hard for the east coast I imagine particularly where there are trees.

Most likely they will test there because thats on its way to its destination slot.. Makes sence why burn gas to by pass the slot to burn more gas on its way there. :) They have done this in the past.. 129 used to be the test slot but is not any more due to echo 5 bringing us hd from that slot.. :)

rocatman said:

The FCC has approved 4.5 degree spacing already? (referring to the possible 114.5 location)

Last edited:
This satellite is a different frequency than what 110, 119, and 129 uses. It is 9.5 degrees from 148 and 129.

SimpleSimon said:
Well, c'mon guys - you're missing the obvious here.
If they want to test E-10 @ 138, might that be a possible spot for E-11?
I forget what country "owns" the 138 slot, though.

But why would E* want a zillion non-conus slots that only reach the western US? They already have 129, 148, and 157.

BTW, 138 is Canada.

BlackHitachi said:
So is or was 129 right?

Yes, as is the 72.5 location used by D*. The US DBS slots (at least under the current 9 degree spacing--there is discussion to change to 4.5 degrees) are: 61.5, 101, 110, 119, 148, 157, 166, and 175. Only 101, 110, and 119 offer conus coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)