Dish assembly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think your referring to the two shop cats on the dish…the gray one is Misty and she came to us at 1:30 in the morning last year as a kitten and we think she was about 5 weeks old. The black one is named Lucky and I saw him get hit on the road and I when back to remove him from the middle of the road and found he was still alive and then I took him to the our vet to be fixed up, vet thinks he about 3-4 years old, but he really appreciated being saved, he comes when called and likes riding on the tractor. Total 12 cats and 6 Siberian Huskies.

6 Siberian Huskies !!!!! Wow,,you running a sleigh dog team ???????

Here is a pic of my newly acquired baby,,,,Changed all the old bolts,nuts and screws and replaced all with stainless

Painting it white (as per pic) so they match my other dishes,,,+ I have not seen too many white BUDS around,,,,,will look cool

Now I am getting ready for the headache,,,, to install the poll,,,,,few questions for you..

Here in Northern Canada,,,We have to consider going abt 5 ' below the frost line

Ground level to the roof of my house is 10',,,,I have to clear 8' from top of roof to end of pole,,,,taking into account that the dish needs 5',,and I also have to take into account about 3' of snow up on the roof in winter

Therefore,,,,taking into account from 5' frost line,I would need in total 23' of pipe,,,,,,,

In winter here,few times we may have abt 70 to 75 mph winds,,,not all the time,,,but few times

The second pic I have included,,,,I would like to know if this other method of installing the pole would be feseable,,,What I would do is

1. use a 12" sonotube place at the end a rubber boot (like an inversed huge flower pot) have this going below frost line

2.The sonotube would be coming out abt 3' high from ground level,,,and would install as per 2nd pic

All of the posts I have read mention actually running the pole underground

Yr input wld be appreciated

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 120
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 114
installing the pole

Here is a pic of my newly acquired baby,,,,Changed all the old bolts,nuts and screws and replaced all with stainless

Painting it white (as per pic) so they match my other dishes,,,+ I have not seen too many white BUDS around,,,,,will look cool

Now I am getting ready for the headache,,,, to install the poll,,,,,few questions for you..

Here in Northern Canada,,,We have to consider going abt 5 ' below the frost line

Ground level to the roof of my house is 10',,,,I have to clear 8' from top of roof to end of pole,,,,taking into account that the dish needs 5',,and I also have to take into account about 3' of snow up on the roof in winter

Therefore,,,,taking into account from 5' frost line,I would need in total 23' of pipe,,,,,,,

In winter here,few times we may have abt 70 to 75 mph winds,,,not all the time,,,but few times

The second pic I have included,,,,I would like to know if this other method of installing the pole would be feseable,,,What I would do is

1. use a 12" sonotube place at the end a rubber boot (like an inversed huge flower pot) have this going below frost line

2.The sonotube would be coming out abt 3' high from ground level,,,and would install as per 2nd pic

Hello Sasquatch,
A couple of questions for you. Are you going to putting your Support pole by itself? Or are you going to have it connected to your home and next to your roof line? If you are thinking of having it connected to the side of your home and having the dish clear your roof line this site might be able to help you. It shows a lot of pictures from start to finish. The 12' Orbitron Dish Install
Now if you going to be installing it by itself thats another story and we can help there.

TOM

:D

The first question, will you be attaching the pole to the house, it sounds like you plan to other wise I won't even thing about installing to that height, to much movement from wind even with a large diameter pole.
What size pipe do you plan on using... I think it should be 4 ½ inch schedule 40 and it will be heavy. Both my mounts need the 4 ½ ,and remember the mount is also really heavy, Are you going to have a adapter plate made for your mount so you can drop it over the pole. Have a machine shop weld a plate which will have holes drilled to match your mount to a larger diameter pipe which will then slip over the dish pole and also have them drill and weld 4-6 nuts to the pipe.
I’d rule out the sonic tube, you really need a base for support that’s between 3 to 5 feet and 4 feet deep or deeper with rebar or angle iron welded to the pole to prevent turning from wind loads.
Just retired show dogs and two young ones that just need new homes.

Mount Install

Mornin' Tom,,

Will be beside the house,,as in the pics,,,

Tks very much for the pics,,

Cheers,,,

Sas,,,

Hello Sasquatch,
I thought you were going with a hookup with the pole besides the house. That’s why I sent that link.

Now may I ask you are you limited in your yard to be able to put your Mounting Pole and Dish there? Reason being is I don't know where you are besides what you say The Great White North. Maybe you live in Winsor Ontario, Canada or further up North? How much snow do you get up there? If it's connected to the side of the house are you going to be able to service it during real harsh months and storms? I'm thinking of when your roof is loaded with snow and it’s slippery and you got to service your dish.

I'm thinking that you might be better off having your Pole and Dish by itself. So that you can work on your dish too. I'm also thinking of the worst case scenario if it was besides the house and a strong gush of wind came and tore your dish down including parts of your home. Too much movement from wind moving the dish would be scary for me! :eek: Besides I’m thinking you would hear it moving from the inside of the house. :down How is your line of site? Are there any trees that would be in the way? What height were you thinking for your pole and dish? I would use the heaviest type of pipe you can get. Like Sergei said: “I think it should be 4 ½ inch schedule 40 and it will be heavy”. However you also need to take a measurement of your mount where it connects to your Mounting Pole (Pipe) and see what that measurement is. Sometimes it will be only 3 ½ inches. I made that mistake, I got a 4 ½ pole and found out that the mount called for a 3 ½ pole. It turned out ok for me because I was given another dish that called for a 4 ½ pole. That link that I sent to you with having your pole next to your house still should be helpful to you with digging your hole and planting your pole into the ground with rebar wire to stop it from turning in the cement. Photos on the site also show rebar and how that person made his area for his mounting pole.

Good Luck,
TOM

Tks yr tips Sergei and Tom,,,,

Actually up in the suburbs of Quebec city,,,,,At the base of a mountain actually and yes we do get an awful lots of snow out here ,,I don't think you would believe me if I were to tell you that if I would mount the dish on a 6' pole in the backyard,,the pole and dish would get buried in snow,,,,not kidding !!!

Here's a pic of my house in the winter,,,,,and it got worst than that,,,the snow completely covered the large living room window and the snow got to 1' from the roof,,,we could walk up on the roof with no ladders !!!

As far as my line of sights goes here only one place really behind the house where I would be able to get 30W to 129W,,,,,,All the rest I would have obstructions,,,,,,That is why basically all of my smaller dishes are to the front of the house,,,,,on the roof

I was thinking of using a 6" or 8" Pole and run it through the roof siding,,,,but as you were mentioning it kind of scares me to lose a piece of the house to strong winds,,this is why,,I may have to reconsider just setting up the dish stationary on 1 sat we're interested in for this year,,,save up some money and have professional installer set it up next spring,,,,,from ground level it will have to be 18 if not 20 ' high so to clear the snow on the roof in the winter,,,,,

If this would be a normal setup,,I would not hesitate to do it myself,,,but at these heights it does start getting a little scary,,,

Cheers,,,,,

Attachments

• Casa.JPG
    Casa.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 102
Tks yr tips Sergei and Tom,,,,

Actually up in the suburbs of Quebec city,,,,,At the base of a mountain actually and yes we do get an awful lots of snow out here ,,I don't think you would believe me if I were to tell you that if I would mount the dish on a 6' pole in the backyard,,the pole and dish would get buried in snow,,,,not kidding !!!

Here's a pic of my house in the winter,,,,,and it got worst than that,,,the snow completely covered the large living room window and the snow got to 1' from the roof,,,we could walk up on the roof with no ladders !!!

As far as my line of sights goes here only one place really behind the house where I would be able to get 30W to 129W,,,,,,All the rest I would have obstructions,,,,,,That is why basically all of my smaller dishes are to the front of the house,,,,,on the roof

I was thinking of using a 6" or 8" Pole and run it through the roof siding,,,,but as you were mentioning it kind of scares me to lose a piece of the house to strong winds,,this is why,,I may have to reconsider just setting up the dish stationary on 1 sat we're interested in for this year,,,save up some money and have professional installer set it up next spring,,,,,from ground level it will have to be 18 if not 20 ' high so to clear the snow on the roof in the winter,,,,,

If this would be a normal setup,,I would not hesitate to do it myself,,,but at these heights it does start getting a little scary,,,

Cheers,,,,,
Yep, Thats a lot of Snow and looks cold too.:tux: Can you take some photo's of the back and south side of your house? Would help so we could see more and help more.

TOM

Last edited:
Another option for you is to install a self supporting pole so you could put a pole up without attaching it to the house, but it would have to probably a base 6-8 inch pipe then have smaller sections welded to reduce it all the way to the top section, a good example is road signs which are on tapered poles, you could do the same. The main thing your base will need to be able to support it. I scanned some pages from a satellite installation book and attached them, check out figure 8-46, hopefully they’ll help you.

Attachments

• c-band.jpg
    c-band.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 98
  • c-band2.jpg
    c-band2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 95
  • c-band3.jpg
    c-band3.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 102
Many Tks Sergei for the scanned pages,,,yes I think you're right,,,an 8 " pole then reducing to 6" I think would be best with a solid base

Cheers,,,,

There is a manual for the 10 foot winegard in the manual section. I can not get it to download for me, but I know when I sent it in it was complete. Maybe someone else can get it but on my dial up it says corupt file. Maybe Iceberg can check it out.

For that height I would consider a ROHN tower with a deep base. Expensive but safe. I would also use good guy wires!

Now I may be wrong but from what I've seen on most ROHN towers they are not designed to handle the type load you would have on it, you would have a twisting effect on it besides the wind, snow and ice load. He may be talking about a different type of tower seen no numbers where mentioned.

Now I may be wrong but from what I've seen on most ROHN towers they are not designed to handle the type load you would have on it, you would have a twisting effect on it besides the wind, snow and ice load. He may be talking about a different type of tower seen no numbers where mentioned.

Roan used to make a top years ago with a 3 1/2" OD pipe just for that type of install, I know I did 1 back in the mid 80's. an they remonded a 6-way cross guying with their tourgh arms, earth anchors, an turn-buckels, an safteys. bet they don't make it any more with their restruction 2- years ago.

Roan used to make a top years ago with a 3 1/2" OD pipe just for that type of install, I know I did 1 back in the mid 80's. an they remonded a 6-way cross guying with their tourgh arms, earth anchors, an turn-buckels, an safteys. bet they don't make it any more with their restruction 2- years ago.
What your describing sounds like it might be similar to what I have for the top section on my OTA system.

Attachments

• P1000273.jpg
    P1000273.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 92
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts