Dish at Lake House

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I was wanting to set up a second dish at the lake house so I can take a hopper with me when I go on weekends. When I bought the lakehouse there was a Dish 1000 plus on the roof and a DPP44 switch in the back room. After looking on Lyngsat my locals in HD are on 61.5 and SD on 119. How can I add a second dish for 61.5 to the 44 switch since all 4 are already taken?

I took my 1000.2ea down there and was unable to get 72 so the eastern arc is out of the question. No problems at all with the 119, 118.7, 110, 129 birds and got a fair signal on 61.5.

If you don't need internationals on 118, you could disconnect that LNB...

I've not worked with the Plus Dish and DP44, but can't you just unplug the cable for 118.7 lnb and plug the cable for 61.5 into the 44 and run a check switch to see the new locations. I would use a Dish 500 or old Dish 300 with a DP Single LNB

118 is just for internationals, so that is all you lose on it. All the normal HD for the Western Arc is on 110, 119 and 129. Your HD locals would then come off the single dish for 61.5.

If you can do without HD locals are perhaps get the OTA adapter and use an antenna at the lake, then just connect the receiver and run a check switch.

Won't a Solo or Duo Node be needed to use a Hopper?

In your particular situation, you need 61.5 if you want locals in HD. There is no way to get 61.5 without a second dish if you are not able to use 72 and you want all the channels.

I would make a decision, leave it just as is, get all your channels but locals will be in SD,
OR replace the WA dish and get an EA two LNB dish, and live with 61.5 programming including locals in HD but most others in SD.
OR - are there different locals in a spotbeam you can get at the lakehouse from the WA? If so when you go to the lakehouse tell dish you are there, but with "there" being whatever city you picked. Tell them you are camping if they need an address. That gets all channels and locals in HD, just not your locals.

I was wanting to set up a second dish at the lake house so I can take a hopper with me when I go on weekends. When I bought the lakehouse there was a Dish 1000 plus on the roof and a DPP44 switch in the back room. After looking on Lyngsat my locals in HD are on 61.5 and SD on 119. How can I add a second dish for 61.5 to the 44 switch since all 4 are already taken?

I took my 1000.2ea down there and was unable to get 72 so the eastern arc is out of the question. No problems at all with the 119, 118.7, 110, 129 birds and got a fair signal on 61.5.
Do you watch your locals enough that SD instead of HD will be a major inconvience? As others have posted replace 118.7 with 61.5.

Yes; the solo node is required for a single Hopper, independent of any Joeys also on the account.

I have the same situation EA at the lake and WA at home and also think the HD on the EA looks better, the SD does for sure.
Could just be the different tv's:biggrin

I think because the Eastern arc totally uses mpeg 4 compression , both HD and SD channels. Western arc still uses mpeg 4 on HD and mpeg 2 on SD channels.

I have the same situation EA at the lake and WA at home and also think the HD on the EA looks better, the SD does for sure.
Could just be the different tv's:biggrin

I think because the Eastern arc totally uses mpeg 4 compression , both HD and SD channels. Western arc still uses mpeg 4 on HD and mpeg 2 on SD channels.

HD on both Eastern Arc and Western Arc use MPEG4, osu1991 may be a better guess at more bandwidth.

My comment was based on the mack's original statement about the SD channels...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)