dish attached to concrete?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Carta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Northeast PA
I currently have a 18" dish anchored to concrete; on the ground. I'm getting a new install. Will D" be able to use the same attachment, (bent arm) when they install a new slimline. And, how big is the Slimline? ...Thanks

A little bigger!

The mast is 2" od pipe and the base is bigger and won't match the smaller pattern.

It is probably easiest to break the old concrete up.......pull the old pole.....and use the new 2" pole in the same hole. Don't damage the underground wire or you will need to run new stuff.

The bigger dish could be bolted to the old mast with 2" muffler clamps if for some reason you can't break the concrete.

All this work is an extra charge not paid by DTV.

Joe

The foot plate is anchored into 2 concrete cylinders; buried in the ground about 1.5 ft deep.....The mast is bolted onto the foot plate. My concern is: they might not be able to unscrew the mast from the foot plate to replace the existing mast... So, I'm hoping the Slimline will just slide onto the mast, without disturbing the foot plate. I hope this makes sense......

ps..There is No pole.......Thanks

The Slimline will not fit on the mast of the old dish. As posted above the new dish takes a larger diameter mast to support the weight of the dish.

===================
Thanks Randy,,,4 making me feel even dummer....lol

So you have a real low mount............No problem, Still, break up the old concrete enough to get the old mast out. Get some long.....12" x 1/2 galvanixed carriage bolts.
Get at least 12 nuts and at least four lock washers. Attach the carriage bolts to the mast base with a nut on each side. Bend the bolts at right angles and sink them into the new concrete you have dumped on the old & broken pieces.

When the concrete hardens tune the dish etc,...Make sure the mast can be made plumb.

There are other ways.

There is even a fiberglass rock cover for a low dish like this that looks like a big rock but the dish will fit under .

Joe

Last edited:
Sorry Carta, wasn't trying to jerk you around it just sounded like there was some confusion between the mast requirement and a pole. :) It really does sound like you're going to have to start over. Personally I'd dig up the present dish and get a length of 2" OD pipe from a muffler shop and start all over. I looked at that myself but line of sight problems and living on pretty much solid rock ruled that out pretty quickly.

Sorry Carta, wasn't trying to jerk you around it just sounded like there was some confusion between the mast requirement and a pole. :) It really does sound like you're going to have to start over. Personally I'd dig up the present dish and get a length of 2" OD pipe from a muffler shop and start all over. I looked at that myself but line of sight problems and living on pretty much solid rock ruled that out pretty quickly.
===================================

Since this will be a free install; my other option is to put the new dish on the roof...So, if it costs extra, by using my current on-ground placement; that's what I'll do.

===================================

Since this will be a free install; my other option is to put the new dish on the roof...So, if it costs extra, by using my current on-ground placement; that's what I'll do.

Why not just use a pole to mount the dish right next to your current one? This would make it so you could use the current wiring and not have to replace all of that as well. Heck if you get signal from a ground mounted dish you could install the pole so it was only a foot off the ground or lower. I personally would keep the dish off of the house but that is my own personal preference.

Why not just use a pole to mount the dish right next to your current one? This would make it so you could use the current wiring and not have to replace all of that as well. Heck if you get signal from a ground mounted dish you could install the pole so it was only a foot off the ground or lower. I personally would keep the dish off of the house but that is my own personal preference.
================================
Hopefully, they replace my wiring that's been buried for 8-10 years. (about 15') If they're willing to place a pole mount, without charging extra; I'm all 4 it....

================================
Hopefully, they replace my wiring that's been buried for 8-10 years. (about 15') If they're willing to place a pole mount, without charging extra; I'm all 4 it....

My pole mount was free but I did pay $60 during the install at the in-laws. Like I said it is a personal preference but $60 was well worth not having the dish on the roof.

My pole mount was free but I did pay $60 during the install at the in-laws. Like I said it is a personal preference but $60 was well worth not having the dish on the roof.
=========================
Jag, If it was FREE, why did you pay $60?

Pole mounts are not free unless you cannot get a signal on the roof/side of your house. If you just want them to install on a pole then there's a fee.

Pole mounts are not free unless you cannot get a signal on the roof/side of your house. If you just want them to install on a pole then there's a fee.

That is true in most cases, however I have had two pole mounts done with no fee. Perhaps it varies from place to place?

I will say again. Mine was free but I paid $60 for the installation at the IN-LAWS. I paid for the installation of one at my mother in laws house. That means I have a pole mount at my house and my in-laws have a pole mount at there house. :D

Mine was and I can get a signal from pretty much anywhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)