Dish backing structures

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
When I upgraded to a VIP722K in my RV, I got a 1000.2 dish on a tripod. The backing structure is the same one I have been seeing on all other dishesm except a few. I am seeing a 'Dot4 backing structure that looks like it has a screw adjustment for the elevation instead of a locking nut. I am not all that good at aiming the dish. I haven't actually had it aimed since I left the area where the installer set it up.

Can I buy one of the new backing structures to replace the one I have? Can anyone give a total newbie some basic step by step instructions on how to aim the dish? The backing structure has angles stamped into the metal. I have no idea where the vernier line that I use the angle with goes. Do I line the angle up with the locking nut or is it somewhere else?

The .4 bracket has the fine adjust bolt to better tune the dish on the eastern arc which gets poor signal quality compared to a .2 on the western arc. A .2 dish should be easier to peak than a .4 in that you don't need to be as precise to get reliable signal. A way to aim the the dish would be to press menu, 6, 1, 1 which takes you to the point dish screen. The higher the signal quality the higher pitch tone you will hear so crank up the volume on your tv and open your windows. Depending on your zip code you will aim it a certain way. You can find the settings that you need for your zip code on that screen and if your tripod is level you should be able to roughly tune the dish by rotating it side to side slowly with the correct skew and elevation settings. The skew, or tilt, setting is a little notch or line on the left side of the circular plate. Once you hear the tone get as high pitched as you can get it, then play with the elevation settings to improve signal quality even more. Without using a meter, a signal level around or above 50 I would consider great. The three satellites listed on that Point Dish screen you want signal from are 110, 119, and 129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)