DISH Blockbuster@Home vs Netflix

I'm gasping my last breath here, agreeing with you. The OP (and others) are blind to the fact that BB@H was NEVER intended to meet or compete with Netflix. It was to augment the programming and mail service to customers who ALREADY had PLATINUM, and then those who chose to opt for BB@H. Making a thread to compare the two is a waste of time..., among other things.

Gonna have to disagree with you my friend on this. I've learned a lot from this thread. I'm very glad that I have a Usenet service now for downloading shows I don't get thru E*. Haven't really tried streaming yet as not real trusting of my ISP which I hope to switch in Sept or Oct.

BB streaming is terrible. Poor selection of content and no way to build a que online like Netflix. A pain to browse movies via the receiver. Disk at home a joke. 22 movies in my que, all have short wait or very long wait next to it in the que. Lucky if I get 2 disks per month do to lack of disks available. Netflix is clearly superior in streaming and disk at home service.

KAB said:
I'm gasping my last breath here, agreeing with you. The OP (and others) are blind to the fact that BB@H was NEVER intended to meet or compete with Netflix. It was to augment the programming and mail service to customers who ALREADY had PLATINUM, and then those who chose to opt for BB@H. Making a thread to compare the two is a waste of time..., among other things.

Yes hard to compare the two when they are two different things

Though on the streaming front I see some have issues with the streaming. While it's not like Netflix, there is quite a bit of free stuff and the Hopper interface makes it very easy to find and I think the "streaming" of video is very good as far as downloading.

My take is Block Buster for Dish is an added bonus. Kind of like having the apps like Pandora.
It's nice to have but to me it's average at best.
To compare it to Netflix is almost not a fair comparison. Netflix is a heavyweight. Blockbuster is just a giveaway by dish. Nice to have but Not worth much.

I agree with the added bonus, for me it has value as I still have a blockbuster about five minutes from me that gives it some added value as with some of the DVD's that have a wait I can walk into the store and exchange for it

Had Blockbuster before Dish bought them and never had any issues. Always got my movies on time plus Blockbuster always had the new releases that come out every Tuesday of the month where Netflix delays everything. Overall Blockbuster has always been better than Netflix and Netflix just gave into the movie studios so much they have become just a old movie hub.. With Netflix it seemed like it would take them forever to get any new release now that they agreed to delay them any where from 30-60 days after release.. Plus with Blockbuster I also can stream but get one movie sent to the house in Blu-Ray that's a new release and don't get charge extra for getting it in Blu-Ray as well..

I like Netflix better!

I don't care if Blockbuster has more content, their interface sucks! I have had it, and I can never find anything to watch. The interface on the 722 is clunky and I could never figure out Dishonline.

With Netflix, its setup in a way where its easy to use and find what you want to watch.

Blockbuster had a nice advantage with the instore exchanges, but now since they closed all our local stores that is no longer an advantage

They are different animals on the streaming end. Your Dish receiver downloads the BB movies. Depending on your IC , it will either seem like streaming or you
will have a 15-30 second buffer like we did. Our movies pretty much started within seconds of Watch now. I thought the quality was on par with Netflix if not slightly better because of the delivery method. Selection is where Dish needs to improve on if they are going to compete with Netflix.
I think BBMP should only be an option if you have a BB nearby. If you don't, the cost does not justify what you will be missing with Netflix.

stvlg1 said:
They are different animals on the streaming end. Your Dish receiver downloads the BB movies. Depending on your IC , it will either seem like streaming or you
will have a 15-30 second buffer like we did. Our movies pretty much started within seconds of Watch now. I thought the quality was on par with Netflix if not slightly better because of the delivery method. Selection is where Dish needs to improve on if they are going to compete with Netflix.
I think BBMP should only be an option if you have a BB nearby. If you don't, the cost does not justify what you will be missing with Netflix.

Correct, in that they are two different products. For us having a BB very close to us it does have added value. Nice to get a video game every now and then at the BB as well. Our BB video store has gone through some changes as They are now have added the Dish selling piece as well. With the tv displays and all

Correct, in that they are two different products. For us having a BB very close to us it does have added value. Nice to get a video game every now and then at the BB as well. Our BB video store has gone through some changes as They are now have added the Dish selling piece as well. With the tv displays and all

I agree. I liked having the entire BB store at my disposal with my first exchange. Games or Movies it didn't matter. I think BB is actually making out
quite well with this agreement because most times I was in there getting my exchange, I picked up several other new movies at $1.99 a pop which is
$5 less than On Demand.

Can BB@Home replace Neflix disc plan? Possibly, if you have a store nearby for exchanges. That's just about the only way to get new releases right away. They don't have a lot of older, more obscure titles found on Netflix. Can it replace Netflix streaming? Not even close. NF is vastly superior in that department both in terms of the selection, quality and interface.

If you already have Netflix, you're better off keeping it. If you think the extra channels you get with BB@Home are worth $10, then get it and consider the disc aspect gravy. If you think it can replace NF, you'll be very disappointed.

Can BB@Home replace Neflix disc plan? Possibly, if you have a store nearby for exchanges. That's just about the only way to get new releases right away. They don't have a lot of older, more obscure titles found on Netflix. Can it replace Netflix streaming? Not even close. NF is vastly superior in that department both in terms of the selection, quality and interface.

If you already have Netflix, you're better off keeping it. If you think the extra channels you get with BB@Home are worth $10, then get it and consider the disc aspect gravy. If you think it can replace NF, you'll be very disappointed.

So far the disk by mail got me my first choice in two days.

Setting up your que was frustrating trying to do it at the dish site with the remote. Resorted to on line with keyboard. Having just seen the new Total Recall I wanted to watch the original again and could not find it on BB. Netflix (of course) had it.

Dish offered me the BB@H free for three months. I am trying it out. So far it is a bit clunky as compared to Netflix.

I want to keep one of the two services and am trying to see if I should go streaming only with NF. I tried to review the availability of streaming on line but the rep sent me to a site that was less than friendly.

My wife had netflix when we met, I had Dish Platinum. When Dish offered up BB@home, combined with the "New Coke" approach to business we decided to drop Netflix and go with BB@home. Out here in Southern California, the turn around is just as quick. I mail a movie Monday, it makes it to Santa Ana (same as Netflix) in a day and the next movie ships that same day. I agree that streaming doesn't work well and the front end on the 722 is pretty much unusable. I'd love an arrangement b'tween Dish and Roku for a BB channel like Netflix.
I have a BB storefront on the way home, fairly close, but don't think I'll ever be that desperate to drop off a movie and pick up another.

Maybe I just didn't exploit Netflix enough, but I'll take BB@home, esp because of the channels on the Dish.

Miner

I am a Netflix customer for several years. I too was upset with the rate changes, so I changed my subscription to streaming only. We now get our DVDs from Redbox. They have a great price and probably have about 12 locations in 3 mile radius and about 30 on my way to work.

I tried the Blockbuster when I first came to Dish,
I didn't like the search engines, there inventory was lacking, and just overall not impressed.

So I dropped Blockbuster and keep Netflix for my streaming needs.

I like Netflix better!

I don't care if Blockbuster has more content, their interface sucks! I have had it, and I can never find anything to watch. The interface on the 722 is clunky and I could never figure out Dishonline.

With Netflix, its setup in a way where its easy to use and find what you want to watch.

Blockbuster had a nice advantage with the instore exchanges, but now since they closed all our local stores that is no longer an advantage

I agree with this.
If dish put more effort into it they might of had a shot.
Its just not done well. I guess if they copied Netflix or used a more successful model
then maybe?

All my local Blockbusters are closed. I love the streaming idea.
The catalogue is not good at all. You would think that the old
Blockbuster online app (pre dish) would have a slew of titles?
Not to mention the catalogue Blockbuster still holds.

Still, to me, an added bonus. Nothing to get to excited about though.

I get the feeling Dish has a ho hum attitude about
the Blockbuster feature. It could be so much more.

Netflix's has nothing to worry about...
No competition in this sector.

So far the disk by mail got me my first choice in two days.
That's about what I got. I could get 2 discs per week, counting in-store exchanges. However, unlike you, I never got my first choice, especially if it was a new blu-ray release.

As far as streaming goes, it's easy to see the quality and quantity of content. Last time I did a search for 4-star HD movies on BB streaming, I got zero results. A few times I got one or two. Most of their library is bottom of the barrel. NF has a lot of terrible content as well, but they also have a lot of quality titles and a lot of recent content. You can't say that for BB.

Anyway, I enjoyed my free 3 months and got a lot out of it (especially in-store discs), but it wasn't good enough to keep, and certainly not good enough to replace NF streaming. Honestly, I've got access to way more content than I have time to watch.

I have a local BB Store, so I was getting 12 to 13 movies per month. Then the mail exchange slowed and now I get four movies per month plus my in store exchange for a total of 8 per month. Good going Dish! You not only are the worst company to work for, but the worst in customer service. Close my store and I will be gone to Direct and Netflix.

Has anyone found a way to preview NF's streaming catalog before making the change from disk to streaming only? I'd love to see their availability of streaming movies before making a change.

I have a local BB Store, so I was getting 12 to 13 movies per month. Then the mail exchange slowed and now I get four movies per month plus my in store exchange for a total of 8 per month. Good going Dish! You not only are the worst company to work for, but the worst in customer service. Close my store and I will be gone to Direct and Netflix.

I had 4 stores closed already... all of them. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)