Dish Booth Setup

Is it me or the picture quality on the Directv side looks sharper and better? LOL! :)

they had hd theater sidebyside and i thought the text in the channel bug was sharpr on the dtv side. :) although comparing the full picture, i couldnt really see a difference.

Yeah, I caught that. But I didn't see what makes dfergie say "Hmmm." All I saw that got that reaction was the PocketDish sign. Are they bringing back a new model?

Ha! I just about spit beer on my screen.

c893656c4bc54cfbe88e59d5f956dbd27f1.gif
lol

What's the huge server for? I thought everything came from the satellites? ;)

I can see it now. The DirecTV guy going over to the side by side...looking at the channel and telling the engineers to crank up the bit rate on that video stream. That's if, it is live TV.

That rack of dish receivers and servers was their head end distribution system. Mostly for hotels and apartment complexes. The receivers demod/decrypt the satellite signal, reencrypt and send the video over ethernet to a server that takes the IP data and spits out out a qam modulator. The signal is then fed to the rooms via coax. Most hotel tvs have a qam demod built in, or can use a small qam demod with hdmi out to the tv. Customer only has to change channels on the tv.

They also had a solution that integrates with existing analog infrastructure. I spent 30 minutes or so with one of the PMs working the project. Pretty cool technology. The ViP222 already has all the capability to do this in its firmware, however the ethernet output is not active until the box is subscribed as a commercial receiver.

The receivers demod/decrypt the satellite signal, reencrypt and send the video over ethernet to a server that takes the IP data and spits out out a qam modulator. The signal is then fed to the rooms via coax. Most hotel tvs have a qam demod built in, or can use a small qam demod with hdmi out to the tv... The ViP222 already has all the capability to do this in its firmware, however the ethernet output is not active until the box is subscribed as a commercial receiver.
Interesting. Did that setup provide two HD outputs over Ethernet?

It looked like a dish branded box. Not sure what was inside, but it was connected via ethernet. The remote looked really barebones.

If it is a separate box, it has to be Sling 300.

Regarding the DirecTV picture looking sharper than the DISH one, it has to do with the camera angle. Those LCDs look the sharpest at zero viewing angle.

BTW, when I had both DirecTV and DISH two years ago, DISH was more HD Lite than DirecTV, but one should not be able to see the difference at this camera distance/LCD screen size at all.

Regarding the DirecTV picture looking sharper than the DISH one, it has to do with the camera angle. Those LCDs look the sharpest at zero viewing angle.

BTW, when I had both DirecTV and DISH two years ago, DISH was more HD Lite than DirecTV, but one should not be able to see the difference at this camera distance/LCD screen size at all.

Does DirecTV have satellites with larger capacity making their HD
channels have a better brighter picture?

I had my face about a foot from the screen when I was looking :). I just noticed less dithering on the channel logo on the directv setup. From a normal viewing distance there was really no difference. They didn't bother leaving the same channel up for long. During CES they were showing the "dish is better" commericial on loop.

.... the PocketDish sign. Are they bringing back a new model?

That would bring joy to my heart, and lighten my wallet, to see a Dish HD compatible Archos (under any brand). But I'll bet if that was a possibility it would have been a big announcement. :(

Here's the video of the Dish vs DirecTV

I also saw the increased compression on the Dish monitor that was not present on the DirecTV. It seemed to just be visible on the graphics borders, but I could see it from behind my camera at 10 feet away. As this was a recording that looped, maybe the rendering of the recording was the fault. I shot this at 1080i x 1440 and then compressed it to 320 at 500kbps wmv so let me know if you can still see a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)