Dish Booth Setup

Not sure this was mentioned before but sometime this summer they expect to release a special Sling box whose only connection to a VIP722K is a USB cable that will power and control it. Pretty neat! No idea on price but this will be the easiest way for you to connect a sling box to your DVR.

Attachments

• DSC00312.JPG
    DSC00312.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Wow, I have had three different HR-20s and have NEVER seen a lag in guide surfing like they showed there. In fact, with scrolling off, its not MUCH slower than the Dish side (still is, just not much).

If that is what people complain about in the guide navigation I can understand better now.

The slow remote response issue has improved a lot, but still there on some of my HRXXs, not so on the others. The older model HR20 does better, go figure.

But slow remote is no longer the biggest complaint, still a complaint from time to time, but not the biggest. As a result I am no longer under pressure to switch back to DISH:)

The MRV on the other hand cannot be beat at this time. Eight tuners working at the same time, can be viewed from any of the rooms.

I have, and with scrolling off its still slow.
R16 right now is slow.
I don't miss the slow response that for sure.
Wow, glad I got the 20s then. Even this last one I replaced last week is a 20.

OT: They even specified on the order in my account that it would be 20, many said it couldnt be done, but it was.

The HR 20's are the best.

Seems that way. I see some other false statements on that video though. Where it shows the skip/slip functions of the two. It says with D* that you have to watch the 30 seconds n fast forward. Thats not true, you can skip just like the E* boxes. Not suprising, but seems like E* stacked the competition. lol

It says with D* that you have to watch the 30 seconds n fast forward. Thats not true, you can skip just like the E* boxes. Not suprising, but seems like E* stacked the competition. lol
Not out of the box it does. It does the 30 second slip out of the box and only does the 30 second skip if you know the CE code to change it from Slip to Skip.

Seems that way.

Which is a shame, the newer models supposed to work better.

I see some other false statements on that video though. Where it shows the skip/slip functions of the two. It says with D* that you have to watch the 30 seconds n fast forward. Thats not true, you can skip just like the E* boxes. Not suprising, but seems like E* stacked the competition. lol

I found 30-second slip not as bad as I thought, nice to have the two options to choose from.

Not out of the box it does. It does the 30 second slip out of the box and only does the 30 second skip if you know the CE code to change it from Slip to Skip.
That is correct. I forgot the code when I was setting up the new one and had to google it. Just pointing out that it had the same capability, when the video made it seem like it didnt. Out of the box, you are correct though.

Seems that way. I see some other false statements on that video though. Where it shows the skip/slip functions of the two. It says with D* that you have to watch the 30 seconds n fast forward. Thats not true, you can skip just like the E* boxes.
No you can't . E* is telling the Truth.
D* 30 sec. skip, is just a fast forward option with its own button. Not even close to the same.
E* 30 Skip is instant.
D*30 sec skip takes about 5-10 seconds.
That video was exactly 100% correct.
Its too bad they didn't do the Channel surfing test.
HR's would have failed that too.

Remember only about .25% of D* customers do the CE program, Maybe Less.

No you can't . E* is telling the Truth.
D* 30 sec. skip, is just a fast forward option with its own button. Not even close to the same.
E* 30 Skip is instant.
D*30 sec skip takes about 5-10 seconds.
That video was exactly 100% correct.
Its too bad they didn't do the Channel surfing test.
HR's would have failed that too.

Remember only about .25% of D* customers do the CE program, Maybe Less.
No, D* has a SLIP, that takes 5-10 seconds and looks like what they show on the video.

They also have a SKIP function that you can activate (been out for over a year, maybe two) that is just like the E* SKIP function.

The box come set to SLIP by default. Which is what they showed, and what Scott pointed out. But there are two seperate functions that you can chose from. SLIP or SKIP, and you do not have to participate in CE to have this capability. I have never done a CE and have changed mine to SKIP ever since it was available nationally.

Hemi is correct, out of the box it's a 30 second slip, not skip. But incorrect about needing to be in the CE program to use it, do a google search and there's a number of public sites that say how to enable it. Just like Tivo boxes or Comcast Morotola DVR's, the feature is there, you just need to enable it.

Hemi is correct, out of the box it's a 30 second slip, not skip. But incorrect about needing to be in the CE program to use it, do a google search and there's a number of public sites that say how to enable it. Just like Tivo boxes or Comcast Morotola DVR's, the feature is there, you just need to enable it.

If it was a feature you could change in the setup menu I could see them not being able to count that feature. But a hidden feature is not a feature that everyday consumers can use. I'm sure if you went to several people, everyday non-technical folks, with the receiver and asked them about 30 second skip feature, they would look at you funny.

If it was a feature you could change in the setup menu I could see them not being able to count that feature. But a hidden feature is not a feature that everyday consumers can use. I'm sure if you went to several people, everyday non-technical folks, with the receiver and asked them about 30 second skip feature, they would look at you funny.
You tell them. :rolleyes::eek:
So that is another strike against D* and the video is a good comparison.:eek:

If you call up DirecTV and ask a CSR how to enable 30 second skip they wont be able to tell you, thats why I (intended) to call it a CE like feature, as only really the hard core folks know about how to enable it.

If you call up DirecTV and ask a CSR how to enable 30 second skip they wont be able to tell you, thats why I (intended) to call it a CE like feature, as only really the hard core folks know about how to enable it.

So what do you call it when you need to enter a special code on Tivo and Motorola cable DVR's to enable 30 second skip since they don't have a CE program? Wouldn't calling it a 'back door' code more appropriate?

Yea, a CSR might not know about it, most don't know much of anything, but DirecTV does acknowledge it on their tech forum, http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?postID=10445289&ie=x#e10445289 and a number of non-CE web sites mention how to enable it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts