Dish BronzeHD package question

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
I called Dish and was quoted $56.00 for the BronzeHD package with no locals and the 211 receiver. I am a former Voom subscriber and Dish customer prior to that. Is this the best deal I can get for this package? What about these adds I get in the mail offering lower prices? Dish also told me that the 18mo commitment is mandatory no matter what. Is this true? Thanks for any input.

If you lease the 211, HDbronze is the lowest package you can subscribe to, with a price of $49.99. With the MPEG4 recievers(which the 211 is) I believe there is a $6 lease fee which would make your bill $56 a month as they said. Also, I believe the 18 month commitment is mandatory now with leasing any of the MPEG4 recievers. With the SD recievers, you don't have to commit, but you have to pay a $49 installation fee if you don't.

THe offers you are getting in the mail probably aren't for the new MPEG4 HD recievers, which is why they are cheaper. They are either for SD, or if they are for HD, they have not been updated with the new info.

Last edited:
One of the last remaining reasons for purchasing the equipment vs. leasing it is that you won't have the 18-mo. commitment if you own it. I believe that to newly activate an HD receiver will require you to take one of the "metallic" packages, but if you are upgrading with an owned receiver you might still have an option for the legacy HD programming if you are already subbed to it...

Thanks bhelms for that information. I just can't do a 18mo commitment but I really do not want to purchase the equipment. I called Dish and they said because I am a former customer, the 18mo. deal is required. This is how they treat former customers and it really stinks.:mad: I may just stick with Comcast.

mdanderson said:
Thanks bhelms for that information. I just can't do a 18mo commitment but I really do not want to purchase the equipment. I called Dish and they said because I am a former customer, the 18mo. deal is required. This is how they treat former customers and it really stinks.:mad: I may just stick with Comcast.
I'm not quite sure from your post - are you currently an E* sub? In that case you always have the "retention" option. If you tell them you're leaving you might have some leverage. YMMV. Good luck...

bhelms said:
I'm not quite sure from your post - are you currently an E* sub? In that case you always have the "retention" option. If you tell them you're leaving you might have some leverage. YMMV. Good luck...

I am currently with Comcast cable and have been for almost a year now. I was with Voom and Dish Network before that. That makes me a former customer so the 18mo commitment is mandatory according to everyone I have talked to whether it be Dish or the reseller ads I have gotten. I have heard of ways to get around it like using a different person to set the account up but I don't want to do that.

Last edited:
teachsac said:
With the MPEG4 receivers all subs new or existing have to commit to 18 months when you lease.

Oh really? I'm a new sub (subbed when metallic hd packages first became available), leasing equipment, and not bound to the 18 month committment, did they change their sign up methods or something?

tribalmunky said:
Oh really? I'm a new sub (subbed when metallic hd packages first became available), leasing equipment, and not bound to the 18 month committment, did they change their sign up methods or something?
You sure you don't have a commitment? Check your contract and see.

He doesn't have to have a commitment. techsac was not correct. The commitment is still optional with new subs

BFG said:
He doesn't have to have a commitment. techsac was not correct. The commitment is still optional with new subs

Stand corrected on new subs. However, if you took the 49.95 activation fee waiver, you are committed for 18 months. Check your biil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)