Dish called me about OLN today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Because I've complained multiple time to CEO@echostar.com, DISH will call me about every month to give me an update on the OLN situation. This time it was over a month, and I wrote them another email on Monday, complaining again about the Hockey programming I was missing on OLN.

Bottom line, not much change. Dish and Comcast are negotiating over OLN. Dish says they will not reimburse me for suddenly dropping OLN, although that is one of, if not the main reason for me subscribing at the America's 180 level.

It was nice of Dish to try and keep calling to keep me up to date on the OLN situation, but this has been going on for months. Meanwhile, I'm missing OLN's offerings, but paying Dish even more with the price increase.

Too bad Comcast and Dish can't settle this. Comcast has lost some OLN subscribers since Dish has pulled OLN (and presumably some corresponding money.) Dish is losing customer loyalty because of pulling OLN.

I still agree with Dish 100% for pulling OLN.

Dish was buying the OLN channel and everything on it. It was wrong of OLN to start blacking out the NHL games to Dish Network and try demanding more money for the channel. Dish was intitled to show the hockey games as they were purchasing the OLN as a whole channel not parts and pieces of shows aired on OLN.

It was also unfair of Comcast to start blacking out the games after showing the first couple at the beginning of the season, or was it preseason? Anyway, I was never happy with Comcast for not allowing Dish to have it's Phily sports channel either.

I think it's time for the legal people in Washington to step in to the Satellite and
cable wars... When it comes to controlling what millions of people watch and pay
for and the crap like the things comcast pulls something has to be done. Like a
bunch of 2nd graders!!!!!!!!!

Well, that is what happens when they allow MSOs own channels and studios. All of that should have been kept separate.

As far as I can tell there are two issues:

1. Comcast was demanding Dish suddenly pay more in mid-contract, just because OLN happened to start carrying hockey games.

2. Comcast seems to be demanding that Dish carry OLN on more of it's programming. (I think OLN was only on America's 180 and America's Everything packages.)

Scott Greczkowski said:

Dish was buying the OLN channel and everything on it. It was wrong of OLN to start blacking out the NHL games to Dish Network and try demanding more money for the channel. Dish was intitled to show the hockey games as they were purchasing the OLN as a whole channel not parts and pieces of shows aired on OLN.

I also agree. I wish the NHL would jump in and do something... hopefully this contract is only a stopgap and ESPN (or even Fox Sports channels) will get the national contract next year.

I am kind of peeved because I get almost all of the Avalanche games now except for OLN stuff and that isn't even available on Center Ice.

Dish and comcast have a long bad blood thing going, it all goes back to comcast not
granting dish to carry CSN in the Philadelphia market. comcast would take EWTN off
the Pope.

I fully supported Dish's decision to pull OLN because Comcast was VERY wrong with what they were doing. It was disappointing others aren't standing up to them like Dish is, a lot of cable companies still aren't showing the NHL games, but they have not pulled the channel. With that being said, this needs to be resolved( and I think it will) before the playoffs.

Hockey, Hockey...what about PBR

I hope some other PBR fans join in on this. While I appreciate the NHL fans being upset, it is us PBR fans that are losing our ability to view Bull Riding because of the Hockey dispute. I have written emails to ceo@echostar.com weekly, and called numerous times. The CSRs either have no info to give or do not bother to look for it when you request an update. The following is a clip form a PBR email I receive. Does E* realize that the Professional Bull Riding is one of the fastest growing sports!

About the PBR:
More than 104 million viewers tune in each year to the PBR on NBC, OLN (Outdoor Life Network) and on a host of foreign networks across the globe. With over 500 hours of prime time programming annually PBR ranks among the most prolific sports on air, in addition to attracting over one million live event attendees each year with its multi-tiered event structure which includes the marquee Built Ford Tough Series presented by Wrangler, the U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company Challenger Tour, the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Tour, and the Discovery Tour, designed specifically for entry level contestants.

Pabst Blue Ribbon has a network?

Oh, Professional Bull Riding... Sorry, my Mom taught me not to play with my food...:D

(Sorry, it's late! 'night, everybody!)

Pbr

Glad I was able to enlighten you to the PBR on OLN vs the PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) which my father was a life long supporter of and which used to be brewed in my area (Peoria IL). If you get a chance there are a few PBR Broadcasts on NBC, you might want to take a look. I find it enjoyable, I get to root for the Bulls and Riders and however the Ride turns out, I can cheer for the winner (unless the ridder gets stepped on badly!)

Scott or anyone else.

Since OLN is not available on/to Dishnet. Why does dish honor certain blackout conditions. Particulary when HDnet carries the same game and it gets blacked out.
Seems to me it should be made available at that point.

Phil

I don't think HDNet an OLN have any games in common. OLNs are on Mondays and Tuesdays(kind of stupid if you asked me). HDNet's are on Thursday's and Saturdays.

Any further word. I am mostly posting to keep this alive and let the dish people monitoring know that we are still waiting.

Yeah, PBR season is starting up. So is the American PRO RALLY series. I want my OLN!

just in case anyone from E* or OLN reads these boards, I too want OLN back. Between Pro Rally and NHL playoffs, it's a must-have for me. OLN-HD would be a good add too, but I'll take what I can get.

Lots of people in my area are bull riding fans and was very upset when we lost OLN. Some will probably switch to D* if we don't get soon.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Scott,

If Dish was truly LEGALLY entitled to show the hockey games, I would have supported Dish 100% IF Charlie would have pursued litigation. If however, this was not a performance issue under contract (as I suspect), then I cannot support Dish in merely dropping OLN and leaving its subs hanging. If Charlie had taken Comcast to court, I would have supported him, but he didn't and I don't.

If he didn't have the legal basis to take them to court, then all he did was make a decision for us, using the theory that there weren't many of us that cared anyway, so he could afford to make us the "collerateral damage". As a paying customer, I resent that kind of treatment. I fully support Dish in doing what is legally right, not what Charlie thinks is right. That's why contracts are drawn up.

Finally

I was afraid I was the only non-hockey OLN customer left to complain! While I still saw an occasional post from the disgruntled Hockey fans that lost OLN, I thought I was the only Bull Riding fan left on E*. I probably am one of a few left and I guess all the smart ones dumped E* and moved to D*. I would have too, but I still think E* has a slight edge on cost and programing, but it is getting slim. This may yet tip me over the edge. I did get a reply back from ceo@echostar.com, not much info, but did say they were still talking/negotiating with OLN. I only hope that was the truth and they were not just placating me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)