DISH Calls on FCC to Intervene as Media General Prolongs Blackout

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Calls on FCC to Intervene as Media General Prolongs Blackout

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, DISH Network L.L.C. (“DISH”) filed a complaint against Media General, requesting that the Federal Communications Commission immediately require Media General to negotiate in good faith to resolve a blackout that began Oct. 1.

In the Complaint, DISH explains how Media General has breached its statutory duty to negotiate in good faith: “Media General’s conduct violates the Commission’s rules requiring good faith negotiation for retransmission consent rights, because, among other things, Media General failed to respond for 11 days to DISH’s last pre-blackout offer.”

Media General blocked programming from DISH customers in 17 markets after a retransmission contract expired.

“DISH customers and Media General viewers were without their shows and events for 11 days before Media General would even contact us,” said Dave Shull, DISH executive vice president. “We reacted with a counter offer within hours and Media General has yet to respond. DISH is asking the FCC to act expeditiously to address Media General’s bad faith, push them back to the negotiating table and submit to mediation to get programming back to consumers.”

In negotiations prior to Media General’s takedown, the Richmond, Va.-based broadcaster rejected DISH’s offer to match the rates paid by primary pay-TV competitors, and additionally declined to receive the same rates DISH pays to other area broadcasters.

Media General has also tried to force DISH to renegotiate its completely separate deal with Young Broadcasting. Media General is making this improper demand as it awaits its proposed acquisition by Young Broadcasting, currently under FCC regulatory review.

Media General’s blackout affects DISH customers in the following markets:

Augusta, Ga. – WJBF (ABC, channel 6)
Birmingham, Ala. – WVTM (NBC, channel 13)
Charleston, S.C. – WCBD (NBC, channel 2) and WCBDD (CW, channel 50)
Columbus, Ga. – WRBL (CBS, channel 3)
Columbus, Ohio – WCMH (NBC, channel 4)
Greenville, N.C. – WNCT (CBS, channel 9) and WNCTD (CW, channel 10)
Greenville, S.C. – WSPA (CBS, channel 7) and WYCW (CW, channel 62)
Hattiesburg, Miss. – WHLT (CBS, channel 22)
Jackson, Miss. – WJTV (CBS, channel 12)
Mobile, Ala./Pensacola, Fla. – WKRG (CBS, channel 5)
Florence-Myrtle Beach, S.C. – WBTW (CBS, channel 13)
Providence, R.I. – WJAR (NBC, channel 10)
Raleigh-Durham, N.C. – WNCN (NBC, channel 17)
Roanoke-Lynchburg, Va. – WSLS (NBC, channel 10)
Savannah, Ga. – WSAV (NBC, channel 3)
Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla. – WFLA (NBC, channel 8)
Tri-Cities, Tenn. area – WJHL (CBS, channel 11)

To learn more about DISH’s negotiations with Media General, visit www.DISHValuePledge.com.

To read DISH’s Retransmission Complaint to the FCC, visit the following:
http://about.dish.com/document-library/verified-retransmission-complaint-against-media-general

I've been hearing from customers daily on this here. Wish someone would come to terms and end the saga. This is the 2nd time in 3 months everyone has been without a channel here (We were involved in the Raycom fiasco this summer). Anyway, it's making everything thing long and hard about switching providers. I for one have the station OTA but it's just not that easy for most people.

At least the Dish receivers have integrated OTA.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Eventually the fcc will have to intervene,it's only going to get worse.

I "moved" my parents so that they could get CBS programming back, so media loses a set of eyeballs even if they come back on.

Also, after having been with dish since 96 or 97 they are now thinking about swapping to Directv. On the flip side Dish would lose longtime customers.

No matter how this plays out, or who is at fault, it makes them both look bad, and could end up costing them both in the future.

I "moved" my parents so that they could get CBS programming back, so media loses a set of eyeballs even if they come back on.

Also, after having been with dish since 96 or 97 they are now thinking about swapping to Directv. On the flip side Dish would lose longtime customers.

No matter how this plays out, or who is at fault, it makes them both look bad, and could end up costing them both in the future.

it's not just Dish,these contract renewals,for ota channels,are affecting all providers anymore.

it's not just Dish,these contract renewals,for ota channels,are affecting all providers anymore.

I do understand, however, having had both within the last year, and off and on over the past 16 years, when they happen they seem to have more of an impact with our Dish service. At least in my experience, and for me, thats really all that matters ;)

Only 211/211K/612/622/722 have built in OTA all the SD and Hopper & 722K & 211Z receivers don't have ATSC tuners built in.

I mean integrated in the software. Sure the 722k/Hopper need modules but Dish has been giving them away recently. Those that still have SD receivers need to upgrade or switch providers anyway.

In negotiations prior to Media General’s takedown, the Richmond, Va.-based broadcaster rejected DISH’s offer to match the rates paid by primary pay-TV competitors, and additionally declined to receive the same rates DISH pays to other area broadcasters.
I have a question regarding the bolded. When Dish (or whoever) negotiates with someone who owns stations in multiple markets, do they negotiate the same price in ALL markets or do they go market by market? So does Dish pay MG (in this example) the same cost/viewer for WJHL as they do for WFLA? I would assume so, just because I can't imagine negotiating each individual station/market. BUT, if they do, how do they compare what they pay to "other area broadcasters"?

Anyone know?

So because Dish isnt getting their way they have to whine to the FCC?

How many times in the last 6 months has dish been in pissing matches with locals? Right now they have 3 ongoing (this one, United Communications and the Fox in SD which is locally owned)...

Yeah Dish should just give in and pay three times more, then jack up prices. I'm sure nobody will complain then...

I'm sure you heard that from Dish right?

Funny how Dish pisses and moans and yanks channels yet they raise rates every year just like "everyone else" does.

Do you even have Dish anymore? If not, why are you so concerned?

At first I too was thinking DISH shouldn't be going to the FCC, the less they are involved the better. But then I realized it's their rule that has us where we are. I can't stress enough, the ONLY reason this happening is because the affiliates are being allowed to charge what they want, yet be protected from any competition.

I say let Media General keep their channels and the FCC should allow Dish to give those markets another NBC from another market. Most people don't care about local news on this channel they just want those stupid reality tv shows that show on it or the random football game.

I'm sure you heard that from Dish right?

Funny how Dish pisses and moans and yanks channels yet they raise rates every year just like "everyone else" does.

Dish went 2 years without an increase in their package prices. From February 2011 to February 2013. That's not what "everyone else" did. At the same time, every provider is asking for a big increase when their contract comes up. Those that say "Dish should pay it and shut up" would likely be the same people screaming if Dish did that and had to have a significant rate increase due to it.

but raising it 5 bucks in 2011 and 5 bucks in 2013 (while others raised it 2 or 3 bucks a year) must make that "price lock" look good ;)

Being I have been a customer with dish for about 10 years and my brother has been with direct for about 11 due to line of sight. I can say he gets a LOT more price increases. He is getting less channels than myself with the same amount of rooms and he pays a good 45$+ more a month.

I never complain with the price increases with dish. I mean really I still have a better price then cable and everywhere else.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts