Dish camouflage

Melnic

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I"m installing a Dish Network Dish now (prepaid) system at a vacation home next month. Based on Google maps of my place It looks like I will likely have to put the dish in the front of the house near some trees or possibly on the side of the house facing a street but surrounded by trees. I'm looking for ideas on how to Hide or camouflage the dish.

The best you might be able to do is mount it below your roof-line, but the satellite has to have a clear line of sight to the satellite. That includes; no trees in the way. So you cant put it behind a tree next to the house. Otherwise its rather difficult to camouflage a dish. However, there are companies that make dish covers. You can get a cover for your favorite sports team and the like. There are also ways to paint your dish, but I don't recommend that.

I'm pretty certain that I will not have LOS if I mount it anywhere near the house. If so, I don't think I'll have to camo it. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to mount it near some trees in the front yard on a pole. My house is nearly totally surrounded by trees except for the driveway and a small patch of area direclty in front of the house. If you imagine a house that has it's driveway on the left and is facing due south, I'd be putting the pole on the right side of the driveway near the trees facing the left corner of the driveway on the street side of the driveway. If your driving from left to right, you won't even see the dish. If your comming around the corner, you may see it if you are looking. I'm thinking if it is all green then it will be pretty well hidden. I think I"ve seen bag like covers that cover the entire dish. Do those block the signal much and are there any issues with them? I"m pretty sure where I mount it will be well shielded from the wind. I just need to make the pole tall enough so that I don't block the signal w/ the Suburban or when walking in the yard.

I did a self install on a post in the backyard years ago. A couple of weeks later I planted shrubs between the dish and the house. The shrubs were nice because they were relatively low to the ground so as not attract birds. Bird crap on the dish is bad. If you do install amongst trees, keep birds in mind.

Dish offers free installation. Let the installer help you find the best placement so it isn't visible from the front of the house. My installer mounted mine below the roof line on the back side of my home. It can,t be seen in the front or back yard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)