Dish can seriously go pound sand!

cognitive77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Ugh! Where do I start!

622 DVR goes out on Wednesday so we call in a replacement. Replacement unit comes last night, hook it up and don't get locals in HD. Call back last night, was told that it takes longer for them to show up. Wake up this morning, no locals in HD. Call in again and am now told that I have to pay $15 for a service tech to come out and configure things. Rep wasn't very good at explaining and I ask to be transferred to a manager/supervisor. Puts me on hold, last check before I hung up....38 freaking minutes and still on hold.

Wife decides to call in, maybe we'll get lucky this time. She recaps the saga, gets transferred, etc, etc. Am now told that the locals we were receiving had been transferred to another satellites, 77, and that in order to get those (which we were getting before), we have to pay a tech to come out and make some changes.

I feel drained and frustrated. Seriously, several hours of my time. And what does Dish offer? We'll credit your bill the 4 days of service you'll be w/o locals in HD.

:rant:

where are you located? we can check the truth about the locals at least.
you might just have to do a check switch on the new receiver to fix things

I have often wonder where "go pound sand" came from...

Source

"The origin of the expression "go pound sand" is from a longer expression, not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States. wordorigins.org."

Sorry, I didn't mean to dismiss the OPs posting... :eek:

When the techs are clueless, our forums are a library of information.
Just ask and I bet a few hear have the answers.
We have quit a few Yoda's on here.

where are you located? we can check the truth about the locals at least.
you might just have to do a check switch on the new receiver to fix things

I agree with pabeader, you may just have to run check switch. If you had locals before the replacement, then you have the correct dish. Tell us your location too.

Menu, 6, 1, 1, check switch. Report what satellites you get, for example: 119, 110, etc.

Nothing like the disturbance from my wife when the cableco screwups went one too far, and I was INFORMED that we were moving to satellite. NOW! :D

The replacement units come with detailed instructions including running check switch. Did you?

We've ran a Check Switch several times now. I"m located an hour south of St. Louis, MO (zip code 63775). The Check Switch now shows satellites 129, 110, 119, and 118.

if the check switch doesn't work, i suggest logging on to dish tech chat and asking for a rehit to your receiver. it may not have it authorized. worth a try.

Had a similar problem with a 722 receiver until I stumbled across a solution. In the menu go to System Setup (6) and then to Factory Defaults (6) and say yes. This restored the local channels to the screen.

. . . . I"m located an hour south of St. Louis, MO (zip code 63775). The Check Switch now shows satellites 129, 110, 119, and 118.

I assume your locals are out of St. Louis? If so, you do have the correct orbitals. If they were out of Paducah, KY, or Springfield, MO, they you would need 77 for the HD locals.

Try this . . . Press Menu - 6 (System Setup) - 9 (Local Channels) - then Chan Display. Make sure that HD Priority is selected and DishHD Channels is Enabled. These setting are sometimes incorrect with a re-manufactured receiver, and that 622 most likely is a reman.

Last edited:
If you require 77 now to receive locals and they want to charge you to come out then tell them you will cancel and go with Directv as they will charge you nothing plus give you a promotion and ask them if they have anything that they can offer to match what Directv can do for you (no charge to have your locals and a promotion since you had to go through all this hassle).

I think that zip is in the Paducah market that was just put up on the eastern arc on 77W so you will need either a wing dish for 77W or a reinstall with a D1000.4 antenna. I'm not sure if you're using any of the programming off of 118 or not? Where were your HD stations coming from before? STL? Did you "move" to STL at one time?

If you require 77 now to receive locals and they want to charge you to come out then tell them you will cancel and go with Directv as they will charge you nothing plus give you a promotion and ask them if they have anything that they can offer to match what Directv can do for you (no charge to have your locals and a promotion since you had to go through all this hassle).
Question is , Is he under a Contract?

If so your Threat will do nothing ,except for Dish Letting you know on the spot if you switch you owe us X amount of $$$;).

Locals and having 7 orbital locations, is not ever an issue at D* .

Dishnetwork uses so many different Satellite setups, They don't even know what to use anymore.

I appreciate all of the suggestions here. A tech just came out to our house. He said that the FCC mandated that any installs South of Ste Gen. county, which is North of us but still South of St Louis, will not be able to receive St Louis channels. He said that we'd have to get our local HD channels from the county south of us, which is Cape County.

Now we no longer get CW (which was a channel my wife liked). The tech did say that we could buy/install our own larger dish to try and pick up St Louis locals in HD, and all that would require.

We now get locals in HD (although not the market we'd prefer). Still seems to be a big headache. We now get more local channels for Kentucky, which is a whole hell of a lot longer drive than St. Louis.

Sounds like they've got you on the Paducah, KY DMA then. Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Mt Vernon.

The CW for us is a low power station in Paducah that Dish doesn't pick up (channel 9 I believe). Strangely when I had D* they had that channel in HD as well as the rest.

I think some of the CW programming is on 49, but am not sure of that as I don't watch the CW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)