Dish can't count HD - Barrons

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't think Charlie should do anything at the request of a competitor. I think he should do it to be more transparent to his customers (and or potential customers). But I don't think a company should do something because a competitor requests it.
I do 100%.
Back up your statement or go home.
To the competition and your customers.

Funny how there are more HD channels I can tune to in my FiOS TV lineup (128) than in Dish Network's 200 HD channel lineup. It's no wonder Cable is padding their HD claims with VOD and PPV. I really wish the FTC would chime-in on this issue - it's false advertising...and D*, E* and Cable are all guilty.

Really Dish? After raising our rental fees you turn around and try to smear this bogus information... The ONLY reason I am with dish is they have better DVR's.

Just another black eye for Dish.

LOL. Yeah, it's really a dark day when everybody's talking about your service. Nobody but geekdom cares anyway, and it's nothing any other provider hasn't done. It's been nice to see Dish on offense for the last six months to a year, instead of getting run over for the previous two years to that. They obviously pushed Direct into announcing channels that aren't even up yet.

I all comes down to credibility, and not one of the people or groups mentioned here rate even moderately high to me, be it dish, directtv, any cable co. or even barrons. as i see it everyone of them has an agenda and everyone one of them is corrupt as hell.

Funny how there are more HD channels I can tune to in my FiOS TV lineup (128) than in Dish Network's 200 HD channel lineup. It's no wonder Cable is padding their HD claims with VOD and PPV. I really wish the FTC would chime-in on this issue - it's false advertising...and D*, E* and Cable are all guilty.

I do agree, 100%. Have the FTC, the FCC or even the NAB set down specific ground work for counting channels.

I'd have them make the claim that they have:

"Up to __ HD Channels channels available..."

• National Basic and Premium HD Channels
  • Average number of Full Time HD RSN's (based on quantity of available RSN's in each market divided by the number of markets = likely to add 2-3 for directv, one for dish - big ten network).
  • Average number of Local HD network stations (since it varies by market split the middle and call it 3-5 on a DBS)
  • HD Public Interest channels.

"... with up to __ additional sports options in HD..."

• sports alt
  • PT & sports mega pack style RSN's
  • extra feeds set aside of sports packs
  • dedicated sports PPV or VOD

"and __ additional PPV and VOD choices."

Truth in advertising, and actual factual numbers you could trust...

//and leave the leniency of advertising EXACT numbers if the ad campaign is focused on a specific market... the number of HD channels varies whether you live in Phoenix, Arizona or Philadelphia, Pennyslvania...

I do agree, 100%. Have the FTC, the FCC or even the NAB set down specific ground work for counting channels.

I'd have them make the claim that they have:

"Up to __ HD Channels channels available..."

• National Basic and Premium HD Channels
  • Average number of Full Time HD RSN's (based on quantity of available RSN's in each market divided by the number of markets = likely to add 2-3 for directv, one for dish - big ten network).
  • Average number of Local HD network stations (since it varies by market split the middle and call it 3-5 on a DBS)
  • HD Public Interest channels.
"... with up to __ additional sports options in HD..."

• sports alt
  • PT & sports mega pack style RSN's
  • extra feeds set aside of sports packs
  • dedicated sports PPV or VOD
"and __ additional PPV and VOD choices."

Truth in advertising, and actual factual numbers you could trust...

//and leave the leniency of advertising EXACT numbers if the ad campaign is focused on a specific market... the number of HD channels varies whether you live in Phoenix, Arizona or Philadelphia, Pennyslvania...
:up:up:up
Yep. Protect the customer

You know what everyone is missing here? Of CORUSE the E* #s are inflated BUT aren't they still just playing the game D* started awhile back? After all - it was D* that first started including DOZENS of PPV Channels in their count - and while these VOD channels on E* are d elivered in a different way - for all intents and purposes this is the same thing.

D* may soon have 160 channels but to say they do in a way that is significantly different from how E* gets to 200 is dishonest as well!

Is any TV provider making accurate claims as to what they have for HD channels? I don't think so. They all lie and each company keeps trying to add more to out do the other. I think this topic has been covered enough over the last 2 years and especially last 2 days. there are like 4 topics on here about the same thing.
It is only a matter of how much further they try to stretch the count. Does PPV count? Does part-time count? Do RSNs count? Do DNS count? Do VOD channels count? Do VOD programs count?

Once it got to the last question, then most people began to say something like: It is one thing including a PPV channel in a count, but it is another counting an actual program that is not even affiliated with a channel as part of a channel count.

Once one goes that far, then they can count every single HD program on every single HD channel as a separate channel

Do you think Charlie will produce a list at the request of Directv?
I feel he should. Even if he is counting VOD.
Its better to be heard, then bring nothing but silence to the table.
That just shows he knows his claim is bogus
It would only benefit him if he does. Dish has several actual HD channels that Direct does not have.

You know what everyone is missing here? Of CORUSE the E* #s are inflated BUT aren't they still just playing the game D* started awhile back? After all - it was D* that first started including DOZENS of PPV Channels in their count - and while these VOD channels on E* are d elivered in a different way - for all intents and purposes this is the same thing.

D* may soon have 160 channels but to say they do in a way that is significantly different from how E* gets to 200 is dishonest as well!
Not really. PPV is an actual channel that one can pay to watch 24/7 (of course it would cost them a lot of money). VOD in this case of count are not actual channel, but actual programs. That would be like counting the same PPV channel more than once for each program shown.

It would only benefit him if he does. Dish has several actual HD channels that Direct does not have.
Yes they do.
And I feel if Charlie wasn't so greedy, he could have just been honest, and showed a list of National that they do carry. Many will most likly be impressed with Charlies Real list then D* 50% RSN's and PPV.

Dishnetwork has a Great HD line up, So why the hell does Charlie have to try and over sell it?

Do you think Charlie will produce a list at the request of Directv?
I feel he should. Even if he is counting VOD...

How about Direct giving a list of theirs? They both stretch the truth about their channel amounts, along with everyone else.

So does the 922 have like 25 more "channels" than the 722k? I was able to count like 174 using the HD only guide and all the center ice, NBA, VOD, PPV combined on the the 722k. This also included the LIL HD's as well. I know I'm using fuzzy math but I'm trying to recreate the E* fuzzy math. Dahenney found a list of 176 so I wasn't far off in the quick count. How many threads are there going to be on 200 channel count?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)