Dish can’t even get the remote right..

Question for: sdschramm:

So does your page up and down button actually operate up and down menus on your DVD? What DVD make do you have? I believe I have tried that against my DVDs (SONY and PHILIPS) and it didn't work but I will try it again. I have also tried all the codes listed for both SONY and PHILIPS with similar results. BTW, I use universal learning remote most of the time for my needs but I was just curious if Dish's remote can do basics functions on my DVDs. And yes, Dish remote is basically free so I got what I paid for.

Question for: sdschramm:

So does your page up and down button actually operate up and down menus on your DVD? What DVD make do you have? I believe I have tried that against my DVDs (SONY and PHILIPS) and it didn't work but I will try it again. I have also tried all the codes listed for both SONY and PHILIPS with similar results. BTW, I use universal learning remote most of the time for my needs but I was just curious if Dish's remote can do basics functions on my DVDs. And yes, Dish remote is basically free so I got what I paid for.

I'm here! sorry for the delay.

Actually, none of my DVD players work with my dish remote. (I just use the remotes that came with each device) I have a KOSS surround sound system (with a junky DVD player buit in) and also a RCA HD up converting dvd player/recorder. Both are not supported with the dish remote.

BUT, for my TV, (a 42" LG LCD HDTV, LB5D model) it is the only device that DOES work. I use the vol up/down and power button with no problems. But, when I want to switch the input on the TV I put the remote in TV mode, push the input button, and then normally I would use the up and down arrows to highlight and select the input I want. But on the dish remote, the up ad down arrows are actually the channel up/down buttons. So that didn't work. I then pushed every button on the remote until I fund one that worked. It ended up the page up/down buttons are in place of the arrow buttons, so that is how I found that out. For just selecting the TV input, its fine, but then when I need to get into my TV menu, its really confusing pushing the left and right like normal, but then having to use the PAGE up and down instead the of the regular up and down. Urg. It does work (some what) so I guess its alright.

I wish dish would make a remote like the haroney ones that I can plug into the USB port on my mac, and send custom codes from the internet to the remote. Sure, dish would have give it a name like the "dish pro remote" and change an additional $100 if you want to buy it, but if it works, then it would be worth it to me.

Or you could just buy the remote from harmony. If you are willing to pay for it what difference does it make if it comes from E* or from a 3rd party? :confused:

perhaps if you didnt buy the cheapest dvd player k-mart had to offer... i have complete control of my sony dvd player with my dish remote.
Not necessarily the problem. My Oppo DVD player (not cheap) doesn't work with any other manufacturer's "universal" remote as none of them have codes for Oppo. However, my Harmony 880 works great for everything, including off brand HDMI switches.

It should be noted that the hostility engendered at the OP was a direct result of a thread title that itself contained needless criticism. Dish has an excellent remote that is in fact considered by many to be the "best" bundled remote. Your expectations of a remote from a dbs provider that is "learning" and can control all devices is inconsistent with the market and is why Logitech among others have products specifically designed to address this at significant costs.

Moral of the story is don't spout off if you don't want to be smacked down because of your own ignorance.

I'm able to controll the following from my Dish remote with my ViP 722.

TV - Vizio VO32L LCD HDTV.
VCR - Sony DVD/VCR combo (SLV-D300P)
AUX - Sony STR-DE475

They all work as expected.

It should be noted that the hostility engendered at the OP was a direct result of a thread title that itself contained needless criticism. Dish has an excellent remote that is in fact considered by many to be the "best" bundled remote. Your expectations of a remote from a dbs provider that is "learning" and can control all devices is inconsistent with the market and is why Logitech among others have products specifically designed to address this at significant costs.

Moral of the story is don't spout off if you don't want to be smacked down because of your own ignorance.

Thanks, well written....so far he only has 4 posts.

Maybe we should post a link for the Harmony for him?

DISH will be releasing two-way learning remotes later this year or early next year. They will have the ability to learn codes from your current remote. Also, with the next generation of receivers coming out, they will be able to store all your remote settings in the box so a replacement remote won't have to go through all the reprogramming. The remotes themselves will also store receiver settings so that a replacement receiver can be properly configured using the old remote.

Is that good enough?

If not, you could always write your own firmware for the remote.

If not, you could always write your own firmware for the remote.

Your kidding, right?

And when I meant I wish Dish would make a Harmony, I guess I should have said/meant I wish they made a Harmony remote with the Dish remote layout.

Some of those Harmony remotes drive me nuts, but I love the layout of Dish's remote. If they would take the 622/722 remote, make it backlit, more sturdy and pro looking, and make it programmable/learning PLUS add usb or an easy way to create macros (turn on the tv, flip input to x, turn on surround sound, flip input to x, etc.) that would be great. I would definitely pay for something like that - as long as there isn't a monthly fee for using it, and knowing dish....anything possible.

Your kidding, right?

And when I meant I wish Dish would make a Harmony, I guess I should have said/meant I wish they made a Harmony remote with the Dish remote layout.

Some of those Harmony remotes drive me nuts, but I love the layout of Dish's remote. If they would take the 622/722 remote, make it backlit, more sturdy and pro looking, and make it programmable/learning PLUS add usb or an easy way to create macros (turn on the tv, flip input to x, turn on surround sound, flip input to x, etc.) that would be great. I would definitely pay for something like that - as long as there isn't a monthly fee for using it, and knowing dish....anything possible.

Example of Customer's Bill with 722k:
!!!NOTE!!!! THIS IS A FICTIONAL GUESS BASED ON THE ABOVE COMMENT AND IS MEANT TO BE SATIRICAL!!!

$39.99 Turbo HD Gold
$5.00 Local Channels
$7.00 HD Receiver Lease Fee
$5.00 Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee
$1.99 Advance Remote Lease Fee (TV1)
$1.99 Advance Remote Lease Fee (TV2)
$3.99 Dual OTA Tuner Card Lease Fee
$0.99 Advanced Remote Settings Storage Fee (TV1)
$0.99 Advanced Remote Settings Storage Fee (TV2)
$1.99 Receiver Settings Back-up Storage Fee

And that how you can make $68.93 per moth from a service you advertise for $39.99. Welcome to Dish Network :D

Did I miss any opportunities for Charlie to make an extra buck?

Your kidding, right?

Look at remotes by URC, like the MX-850 or MX-900.

Example of Customer's Bill with 722k:
!!!NOTE!!!! THIS IS A FICTIONAL GUESS BASED ON THE ABOVE COMMENT AND IS MEANT TO BE SATIRICAL!!!

$39.99 Turbo HD Gold
$5.00 Local Channels
$7.00 HD Receiver Lease Fee
$5.00 Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee
$1.99 Advance Remote Lease Fee (TV1)
$1.99 Advance Remote Lease Fee (TV2)
$3.99 Dual OTA Tuner Card Lease Fee
$0.99 Advanced Remote Settings Storage Fee (TV1)
$0.99 Advanced Remote Settings Storage Fee (TV2)
$1.99 Receiver Settings Back-up Storage Fee

And that how you can make $68.93 per moth from a service you advertise for $39.99. Welcome to Dish Network :D

Did I miss any opportunities for Charlie to make an extra buck?

LOL - I love how you broke it down for TV1 and TV2.

Sounds like the joke last April fools when dish was going to charge a COLOR TV fee. Each color was like $3 extra, and if you bought enough colors at one time, you saved $1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)