Dish can't withstand Miami weather- Help!

rriglesias

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Puerto Rico
5 minutes prior to the start of USA- Portugal, boom signal went out and came 20 minutes later and a goal missed

Signal is Ok most of the time, but now on summer it have become an almost every day issue. On South florida summers we have rain and thunderstorms almost every day. Dish should install bigger dishes to withstand South Florida weather.

For the much I love Dish Hopper system, I hate having an unreliable signal, even most these days of the World Cup.

Here's some info:

System: Hopper
Dish: small oval dish in Charcoal color with the words Dish HD. Not sure the exact size
Satellites: 110,119,129
Signal examples on a clear day/night:
110-TP 13-57
110-TP 22-61
119-TP 2- 67
119-TP 18-
129-TP 18-60
129 TP 22- 57

Previous experience with dish hopper is that signal over 80 can withstand most bad weather.

Do you have one of the original nodes? They had temperature stability problems and have been replaced.

IOW it might not be the storms. Neighbors with Dish have the same outages?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Looks like Miami is only on WA too. :( By the way, rriglasias... Are you really in Miami at the monent?
Previous experience with dish hopper is that signal over 80 can withstand most bad weather.

I think you must have been watching a SD channel on WA to get numbers that high. Usually they are much lower due to all HD channels being modulated 8PSK. The signal strength meter really isn't. It's more of an inverse digital error rate. These (the errors) are naturally higher on HD channels than the old SD channels using QPSK modulation.

I moved to Miami on Nov 2013. Always had these readings, even complained to the installer for the lower signal, he said these were normal. Since it barely rain in winter and spring that wasn't much of a problem, now it is

If you want a larger dish antenna then go ahead and purchase one. I don't think Dish is going to put up a larger dish antenna for you, at least not for free.

There can't be just one sub in Miami. Why haven't the other subs had a similar complaint? Something is wrong this house and I think the dish needs a re-aim...

Reactions: navychop
I'm in SWFL north of Ft. Myers. Loss of signal is normal and sometimes lasts a while in the summer as the storms often don't move. I'm in IL right now and we lost signal for over 20 minutes last night due to a heavy slow-moving rainstorm in the area. I have both OTA and Fios backup in FL so I don't worry about it. Not much anyone can do about it except use larger antennas.

Reactions: boba
I don't lose the signal as much as you seem to. I do not know how the signal meter is on the Hopper compared to the VIP, but I have significantly higher numbers on the WA.

129 TP 22 67 - 70
110 TP 13 78 - 82

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts