Dish CEO Response to 8 yr customer

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I am an 8 year customer of Dish. I suspect I have paid them somewhere in the neighborhood of $9,000 over that period. I've been on Autopay for years, so all bills have been paid on time. I previously recounted a series of events that took place over this past Nov-Jan wherein I wrote the CEO office for permission to upgrade from an 811 lease to a 942 lease and received an almost immediate phone call approving my request. My problems began immediately thereafter.

In a nutshell, the Dish CEO representative offered me a 942 for $250 minus a $99 credit for the 811 that I had only recently leased. She confirmed three times during the conversation that the total cost of my upgrade would be a net of $151. However after paying the $250 & returning the 811, I never received the promised $99 credit.

I wrote back three times, all politely, suggesting that since this was during the Christmas period and was a non-standard procedure, that I could understand it being overlooked and was simply reminding them about the offer that had been made so that they could take care of the credit adjustment.

Instead I was told that the CEO rep was now denying that any such offer had been made. And during the review of my account, they decided that not only was I not going to get the $99, but that since I had terminated my 811 lease early, I was now going to be hit with an extra $5 per month charge.

Thus the total net cost of upgrading to a 942 was not the agreed upon $151, but would now be somewhere around $280-$300. And the total cost including the $99 for the lightly used 811 approaches $400.

After waiting a few weeks, I felt I needed to take one more crack at this, to express my dissatisfaction. The tone is more aggressive, but still not inflammatory. I wanted it to be apparent that I was not a happy camper. I thought someone up there might actually care about a long-time customer who had been quite satisfied with Dish and now wasn't because one of their staff shafted me. I had hoped that someone else might look over the situation and recognize that this was a salvagable matter.

So I wrote the letter posted in the next message. I sent it 15 days ago. To date I have had absolutely no response whatsoever from Dish. After waiting for 13 days, I did call in and reduce my programming by $24/month in order to recoup my losses on the 942.

I pass this along not in some false hope that Dish will actually do something for me, but just to illustrate the evergrowing lack of concern by Dish for their customer base. I cannot imagine having been treated like this a few years ago.

Last edited:
Dear Echostar,

I have been a subscriber for nearly 8 years. I have been an upper tier
subscriber for most of that period, carrying the All Everything Pack,
SuperStations, HD Pack, and VOOM. I was a very happy subscriber for about
7.5 of them, right up until I got a call from Erica of the CEO's office last
November.

Before that call, I was using an 811 and a 7100 receiver. I had attempted to
get a 942 last June but was denied, and so I went with the 811.

Unfortunately I learned from an on-line forum that if one contacted the CEO's
office, that they had been granting $250 lease deals on the 942 to loyal subs.
So I sent an email and asked for one. This prompted Erica to call me and
offer me the upgrade.

During that conversation, I mentioned that I had a nearly new 811 for which I
had paid $99 on a lease. Without hesitation, she offered me full credit of
that $99 toward my programming, if I elected to pay $250 for a 942 lease. I
repeated this offer back to her, to make sure I had it straight and she
confirmed it. Before the phone call ended, I again repeated that what I was
agreeing to was to pay $250 for a 942 lease and that I would receive $99 in
programming credits from returning my 811, for net total cost to me of $151.
She again confirmed that this was correct.

A few weeks later I noticed that I had never received the $99 credit and so
exchanged a couple of emails, inquiring as to when this might happen. At that
time I received a response from Erica which seemingly denied that she had
extended this offer. Given that she had confirmed it three times in our
conversation, there was no doubt that she had extended it, but as I had no
written proof (I had never expected to need it), there was no where I could go
with it.

So I had to accept that I had been duped into making the exchange. I didn't
understand why Echostar would feel like it was a good thing to lie to a
long-time customer, who was paying you over $1200 a year in programming fees,
in order to save $99, but nevertheless it happened.

Now today, I took a look at my latest bill. A $5 fee was now attached as a
lease upgrade. I called your 1-800 number and a CSR informed me that this was
a fee that was charged whenever anyone upgraded a lease package before the
original terms had been fulfilled. I.e. it was due to my upgrading from an
811 to a 942 in mid-lease. However Erica never mentioned this when I did the
upgrade!

What's more, she didn't even attach this fee to my account until AFTER I wrote
and inquired about the missing $99. I upgraded in November and now this extra
fee was attached to my account after I wrote an email in January. So this is
my punishment fee. No $99 and while we're at it, we are going to attach
another $5/month fee that we neglected to tell you about.

If I had been told at the time of the offer that I would receive no credit for
the 811 and that there would be a $5/month upcharge for the lease change, I
would have never accepted the 942 upgrade.

In the midst of all of this, Echostar changes your encoding on the new HD
channels, and now my 942 can't even receive all of your HD programming.

So now I have a 942 for which I have paid a total of $349, for which I am now
paying an extra $5 a month, for who knows how long, which will push my final
total cost for the 942 up to around $400, and I can't even get 7 of your HD
channels.

Does anyone there actually think you've done right by me? What did I do to
deserve this?

So now in order to hold my cost down, I am starting to reduce my programming
costs. I called in today to cut out some channels to reduce my bill by $6 a
month. This will negate the new punishment fee of $5/month. I will now begin
to study other options to reduce my fees, such as dropping from the AEP to
AT120 and reducing my premium movie channels in order to recoup my losses.

I must admit that I am hesitant to send this email, for every time I contact
the CEO's office, I get routed to Erica and then end up having to pay extra
fees.

Ex-happy customer,

TB

I have always had the PM option turned off. I'm not good at responding to PM and so I turned it off, with expectations that the forum's software would inform would-be senders that their PM didn't go through.

I just went back and turned it on, but there was no message waiting. So it must have bounced.

Tom Bombadil said:
I have always had the PM option turned off. I'm not good at responding to PM and so I turned it off, with expectations that the forum's software would inform would-be senders that their PM didn't go through.

I just went back and turned it on, but there was no message waiting. So it must have bounced.
Yep, I noticed that...it should be there now.

CEO address seems pretty selective on what issues they care to discuss. I sent them a short note regarding my intentions to quit Dish for the following reasons:

1) Removal of features from Dish Home on my 721
2) Couldn't get an HD DVR for less than $599
3) Ongoing problems and resets with my 811

I had been an AEP sub since '99. Sent the letter in the first part of January, got no response. Ordered DirecTV. Called and cancelled Dish the day before the install. I listed my reasons for leaving as above and spoke with retention. They had nothing to offer and said they'd waive the reconnect fee if I wanted to come back.

Three days after I had DirecTV installed, retention called again and said they could get me a 942 at a discounted price. I told her too late..I've signed with DirecTV for 2 years....

Had they responded to my first e-mail, and worked with me on an HD PVR, I'd still be with them today.

Tom Bombadil said:
I am an 8 year customer of Dish. I suspect I have paid them somewhere in the neighborhood of $9,000 over that period. I've been on Autopay for years, so all bills have been paid on time. I previously recounted a series of events that took place over this past Nov-Jan wherein I wrote the CEO office for permission to upgrade from an 811 lease to a 942 lease and received an almost immediate phone call approving my request. My problems began immediately thereafter.

In a nutshell, the Dish CEO representative offered me a 942 for $250 minus a $99 credit for the 811 that I had only recently leased. She confirmed three times during the conversation that the total cost of my upgrade would be a net of $151. However after paying the $250 & returning the 811, I never received the promised $99 credit.

I wrote back three times, all politely, suggesting that since this was during the Christmas period and was a non-standard procedure, that I could understand it being overlooked and was simply reminding them about the offer that had been made so that they could take care of the credit adjustment.

Instead I was told that the CEO rep was now denying that any such offer had been made. And during the review of my account, they decided that not only was I not going to get the $99, but that since I had terminated my 811 lease early, I was now going to be hit with an extra $5 per month charge.

Thus the total net cost of upgrading to a 942 was not the agreed upon $151, but would now be somewhere around $280-$300. And the total cost including the $99 for the lightly used 811 approaches $400.

After waiting a few weeks, I felt I needed to take one more crack at this, to express my dissatisfaction. The tone is more aggressive, but still not inflammatory. I wanted it to be apparent that I was not a happy camper. I thought someone up there might actually care about a long-time customer who had been quite satisfied with Dish and now wasn't because one of their staff shafted me. I had hoped that someone else might look over the situation and recognize that this was a salvagable matter.

So I wrote the letter posted in the next message. I sent it 15 days ago. To date I have had absolutely no response whatsoever from Dish. After waiting for 13 days, I did call in and reduce my programming by $24/month in order to recoup my losses on the 942.

I pass this along not in some false hope that Dish will actually do something for me, but just to illustrate the evergrowing lack of concern by Dish for their customer base. I cannot imagine having been treated like this a few years ago.

write to david.laslo at echostar.com. he's there to solve problems. has helped me numerous times.

rom

I had to pay $5 for the programming downgrade.

And since I dropped AEP, I now have a $6/month DVR charge.

So I'm paying for AT120, HBO/Showtime, HD Pak and VOOM, plus $6 for DVR plus $5 for the lease upgrade. I have only the one receiver on my account. So I'm getting shafted on the deal for sure.

But I used to have AEP, HD Pak, VOOM, Superstations, PBS, and, beginning in Jan, the $5 lease upgrade. So the downgrade is saving me around $24 a month. I expect that come July, the $5 lease upgrade charge will expire, so I'll be $29/month less then.

If I stay at this level for a year, then I will have saved about $328 over what I would have paid. Now if I subtract off the $124 overcharge for the 942, it will work out that Dish will take in $204 less by not giving me the deal they promised than if they had honored the $99 credit commitment and I had stayed at previous programming.

So Dish doesn't come out ahead in the long run. They shaft an 8 year customer and then lose money. It makes no sense for them to behave in this manner.

What I really couldn't believe was the January adjustment to add the $5/month fee to my account. It says right in my account record that this fee was due to reviewing my account after having received email from me in January. They didn't even have the decency to write back and tell me they were going to add the fee. I didn't know about it until I browsed my on-line statement and noticed the extra charge. This struck me as extraordinarily petty.

I'm not going to be contacting anyone at Dish again. Been there, done that several times.

Promise one thing deliver something else. Had this happen to me as well. I have been thinking about lowering my aep+movie packages down to just the 180 and ppv what movies I want to see. I now am not on any yearly contract with them and never will again. I have TWC in one house and Dish in another. Cable is a little more expensive but not the problems associated with dbs. One thing for sure I will never again have to take off of work,wait on and pay someone to install a box I could install with my eyes closed.

I expect that if I upgrade my 942 lease to a 622 in April, that is if I am allowed to, then someone there will find that I upgraded an 811 lease before it was over to a 942 and then before that was over to a 622. Then they will stick me with a double lease upgrade fee of $100/month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts