Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Because one site broke embargo, I have received permission from DISH Network to post all of today's forthcoming announcements.

The 4K Joey looks SWEET!

Enjoy!

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys Members and THANK YOU to our PUB MEMBERS for making our CES coverage possible! For details on how you can become a PUB MEMBER please CLICK HERE.

Attachments

• DISH 4K Joey Jan 5 FINAL.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • DISH Hopper Voice Remote Jan 5 FINAL.pdf
    94 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DISH Summary News Release for 2015 CES FINAL.pdf
    559 KB · Views: 1,437
  • Embargo - DISH OTT News Release.pdf
    211.8 KB · Views: 2,022
Thanks Scoot! I like to keep my local re seller updated with info this will help.. :)

Here are the spec sheets.

Attachments

• Sydney_Remote_Feature_Sheet.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 860
  • 4K_Joey_Feature_Sheet.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,576
Hmm now I wonder what they will be doing with the Hopper if they do 4K with the Joey I figured we will see something with the Hopper as well.

Reactions: TheKrell and DWS44
Surprising that Dish is replacing the Hopper/Joey UI already:
To enrich the overall customer experience, DISH is rolling out a new user interface (UI) and remote control designed to make interacting with the Hopper and Joey easier and more intuitive. The new UI, named “Carbon,” features a flat design, increased accessibility (including higher contrast for easier reading and customizable text size) and an innovative “home screen” that displays relevant programs that a customer may enjoy using data analysis based on pastviewing experience, time of day, personal preferences and other factors.

Reactions: TheKrell
The remote is nice. But, without serious multi-device and macro (activity) capability, it will sit unused in many people's cabinets.

And, why a 4K Joey without a 4K Hopper? Is the Hopper already 4K, and we didn't know about it?

"SlingTV" is a better name than "Nut V". But, it will definitely lead to confusion with Sling products. A better name would have incorporated the Dish brand, or something new altogether, like "DishStream" or "EchoStream" or "XTV" or something.

So I have a 4K TV and just paid Dish to move my hopper from basement to a different floor which in the process they accidentally put five holes in various walls to do so as my Joey was sluggish over wifi and I wanted to cancel my Joey and now the only way to get 4K for time being is to use a (new) Joey?

:( I literally had this done two weeks ago.

I was waiting on getting a new hopper (since I have version 1) until CES. But it looks like I will be upgrading since a version 3 doesn't look to be on the horizon. But I might just wait until the new remote comes out.

And, why a 4K Joey without a 4K Hopper? Is the Hopper already 4K, and we didn't know about it?

Wouldn't the Hopper have to be 4K compatible in order to serve 4K to the Joey?!? Maybe I'm not quite understanding how the Hopper and Joey interact. Seems odd to put 4K only into a Joey as I would think a large majority of folks have their Hopper at/near their primary television, which would seem like the most likely place most folks would have a 4K TV and want 4K content. Now they will have to presumably relocate their Hopper and have a Joey in their primary viewing location to make this happen.

Wouldn't the Hopper have to be 4K compatible in order to serve 4K to the Joey?!? Maybe I'm not quite understanding how the Hopper and Joey interact. Seems odd to put 4K only into a Joey as I would think a large majority of folks have their Hopper at/near their primary television, which would seem like the most likely place most folks would have a 4K TV and want 4K content. Now they will have to presumably relocate their Hopper and have a Joey in their primary viewing location to make this happen.
It's a mess and yes I just paid dish to relocate my hopper so I could cancel my Joey...

You make an excellent point. It would seem the Hopper would need to be 4K in order for the Joey to be so.
Yet, if it is, they have been doing a good job keeping that fact quiet.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
No.

The Hopper is essentially just a file server for the Joeys. It can serve the raw data to the Joey for processing without needing to be 4K capable itself.

No doubt the next Hopper will be 4K, but the Joey is the simpler/faster to market option.

This is better than the previously announced DirecTV 4K support, which required a Samsung RVU TV - but I'm sure a 4K genie mini is coming as well in the next weeks, if not announced today.

Thanks Scott for the information.

None of this really excites me though. The only thing I remotely care about is 4K, but I likely won't be buying a 4K TV for a couple years.

The Hopper is essentially just a file server for the Joeys. It can serve the raw data to the Joey for processing without needing to be 4K capable itself.

No doubt the next Hopper will be 4K, but the Joey is the simpler/faster to market option.
The trouble is that people will assume the Hopper will be 4K as well. Dish never said it, but customers would assume that the home base (Hopper) would be as good as the satellite (Joey) to it.

This is one Dish flaw I don't like. They announce things, but never offer enough of the details to keep people from getting mistakenly excited. How many 4K televisions do people have? It'd seem odd to put the 4K with the Joey instead of the Hopper. I guess I could be wrong.

Reactions: TheKrell
No.

This is better than the previously announced DirecTV 4K support, which required a Samsung RVU TV - but I'm sure a 4K genie mini is coming as well in the next weeks, if not announced today.

4K will pretty much only be available through IPTV or streaming systems, so I think this is more future-proofing the Joey for the inevitable IPTV move and to get 4K content now from partners like Netflix.

Reactions: Yespage
4K will pretty much only be available through IPTV or streaming systems, so I think this is more future-proofing the Joey for the inevitable IPTV move and to get 4K content now from partners like Netflix.
To have a big base they are going to have to get some FAST uncapped broadband out to the masses (not just Dish, but everybody). If they had a partner or the resources a high cap or uncapped LTE type service using Dish's spectrum would help get faster broadband to more areas. But I think they are just sitting on that as an investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts