DISH CES Press Conference Announcements

Sling Tv might be of some interest to me. One of the $ 5 add on mentioned DIY I think. If they'd offer some of the Discovery Network's I would be more inclined. Don't care about History since they no longer show history stuff. H2 maybe...Curious how much space could be saved on the existing satellites, if Dish got rid of all the SD channels where there's already an HD equivalent? Maybe it's not that much but most of us have had HDTV's for a few years.

Yeah, I would have been more interested in Vivek commenting on the current crop of Joeys and how slow they universally seem to be than some new Joeys that we can't really utilize yet without 4k content. Heck, maybe that IS the solution to our slow Joeys - replace them all with these new whiz-bangs that are not of much use yet (besides hopefully being faster).

Of course, any equipment upgrade means a new 2-year agreement . . . new Joeys for all!

Not a word about the Smithsonian Channel? Maybe it isn't coming after all.
One more time, CES is a hardware show not a programming show. Next, the contract with CBS is not signed yet. When it gets signed, I'm sure, we'll see all the good stuff happen.... Finally, you are no longer a Dish customer, why do you care? ;)

Nothing interesting from Dish this year, IMO.

Nothing real interesting to us power users on Satguys but I think it's huge news for Dish as a business. Just think of all the customers Dish can pick up that have cut the cord now. One of the biggest reasons I would not cut the cord is because of sports but if I can get ESPN in a cheap package along with ESPN2 and TBS I'd be pretty happy. Pair that with Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix and you've got tons of stuff to watch for under $60 a month. This would be great for a single person or a couple with no kids. The more people in the house with more TVs would be more difficult.

The whole home radio thing is a nice touch, nothing having me go bonkers, but a nice add down the road

Nothing real interesting to us power users on Satguys but I think it's huge news for Dish as a business. Just think of all the customers Dish can pick up that have cut the cord now. One of the biggest reasons I would not cut the cord is because of sports but if I can get ESPN in a cheap package along with ESPN2 and TBS I'd be pretty happy. Pair that with Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix and you've got tons of stuff to watch for under $60 a month. This would be great for a single person or a couple with no kids. The more people in the house with more TVs would be more difficult.
I thought about cutting the cord, but with a wife and 2 kids, I don't think everything they watch is available via a streaming service.

I thought about cutting the cord, but with a wife and 2 kids, I don't think everything they watch is available via a streaming service.

I'm in the same boat, wife and two kids. I was telling my wife about this last night and how this could be the beginning of some major changes in TV. For us SlingTV could work but only if we absolutely needed to cut cost. Right now the Hopper is everything we need and more and I couldn't imagine going to something else.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not true! We get FAR better PQ from Netflix and Amazon than I ever got from Dish!

I would agree at least some of the time. But I have had times when web traffic is heavy and Netflix and Amazon look worse as well.

I'm really hoping that the Sling TV quality of ESPN is better than on Dish but I doubt it.

scott if you see vivek ask him when do you see tunein and i heart radio apps will be coming?i appreciate any help.

I have AT&T DSL Elite and my cap is 150GB a month,when I log into my AT&T account online there is a section where I can view my broadband usage.
I can click a link to that section too! And then it says, ~'This information is not available.'

That information has not been available for me since AT&T talked about usage caps.

When will we see the details of the new UI? I am interested in the new search UI. I hope they are going to allow multiple results sort options such as by time on( old SW version ) and A-Z ( current SW version ). Will the search options also be improved and include some of the older SW easier search capabilities?

I can click a link to that section too! And then it says, ~'This information is not available.'

That information has not been available for me since AT&T talked about usage caps.

I normally see that also especially right after my bill is paid,I would suggest to try accessing your broadband usage later in the month,but if you go all through the month and no broadband usage is posted ,then I would recommend contacting AT&T about the problem.Good Luck!

With offering 4K and Sling TV, you have to start somewhere, sometime. This is a start. Just like with HDTV it had a start, along with tv altogether.

With 4K Joey, it receives content from the Hopper's tuner. I assume the 4K Joey would be decoding the 4K signal which would be cheaper to do than making a new Hopper 4K. Most likely the living room has the Hopper and that would be the room that has would need 4K. It would have to be swapped with another room to have the 4K Joey placed there.

What would be nice is a solution to stream content to the digital channels on all the tv's in your house or at least be able to do something similar to what the dual tv out receivers were able to do (322,522,722). It could receive the content from the Hopper without a box required in the rest of the rooms transmitted to a certain digital channel on the other tv's in the house. My guess is that the cost is too high to do this at the current time.

Going the 4K Joey route initially probably lets them get to market months earlier than a 4K Hopper. Easier to design, easier to build, and probably easier to get through FCC testing.

It could also be as simple as chipset availability. Are the 4K Broadcom sat chips as readily available as the stand alone chips - I don't know.

4K Hopper and 4K Super Joey may be coming, but they won't make much financial sense unless Broadcom is keeping the 4K chip prices in line with the current HD chips. Dish will only want to keep one Hopper model in production at a time, and only a small minority will care about 4K for the next year or so.

The 4K Joey should be noticeably faster than an HWS based on the chip specs (the 4K Joey is about 2x faster than HWS). Even after taking 4K out of the equation, having a 4K Joey instead of the Hopper at the main viewing location may offer an improved experience. It will be interesting to here the reviews after folks have time to play with it.

That is my understanding as well. I wonder why the costs aren't coming down with the rest of the industry?
Right or wrong, the industry decided IP/Moca was the future, not modulated ATSC.

ATSC would require the signal be re-encoded/compressed in MPEG2 and then piped through an ATSC modulator. Dish would probably have enough volume to bring the ATSC component costs in line, but they would be going it alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts