Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen Says Streaming Boom Benefits Pay-TV Distributors

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen Says Streaming Boom Benefits Pay-TV Distributors – Deadline

At another point during the call, Ergen said the company saved a considerable amount of money by not agreeing to higher contract terms with programmers like Sinclair and HBO. The decision, he said, resulted from internal analytics and also an instinct about where the TV bundle is heading. “As things go to streaming, we’re going to an à la carte world,” he said. As certain programming is shuffled from authenticated TV streaming apps to subscription services like Disney+, “that doesn’t increase their value to us,” Ergen said. “Obviously, that has to be taken into consideration in negotiations.”

As far as HBO, he said, “Our customers get HBO a different way today. They don’t have to get it from us. They can pirate it. They can use code sharing. They can get it through another distributor or from Amazon. Our customers will be able to get regional sports and local channels from Sinclair. They’re just going to get it a different way.”

Sports, long thought to be the linchpin of the traditional bundle, is also being rethought, Ergen said. “I would imagine even teams themselves will stream directly,” he predicted.

Why the shock? He's obviously got on his poker face, if you get my drift. Especially since he went on written record saying all this...

That my friends is how you respond to a Company threatening you. Sinclair said DISH will sink without them (in so many words) and Charlie came back with the all the pitfalls of not being on DISH, or other traditional providers. And Netflix agrees with Charlie in that they and some others are looking into cracking down on code sharing. Pirating for Netflilx has been a big problem. And I can guarantee online providers will not make the mistake of making you pay for RSN's. As I posted before I think it is setting in to Sinclair what they bought (RSN's) may not be what they were.

Further I am betting DISH if it comes to it at some point will go to Court if anyone tries to make them Bundle buy RSN's and locals.

Calling everyone who shares their Netflix passwords—Netflix may be onto you

New Software is Looking to Crack Down on Netflix and Hulu Password Sharing

Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen Says Streaming Boom Benefits Pay-TV Distributors – Deadline

“As things go to streaming, we’re going to an à la carte world,” he said.
Yep, something I've been saying for a couple of years, satellite services are going to head back to their beginnings, ala-carte programming, if they expect to survive and brother will you see the dead wood dropping by the wayside as that happens. 200+ channel counts will be a thing of the past as bundling dies the death it so richly deserves.

Reactions: TheKrell