Dish changes for 921 recievers?

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
Hello Guy's:

I'm looking to treat myself to a 50" samsung HL-P5085W tv for christmas. Also two 921 to go with the new tv and the HDTV in the bedroom.

Right now, I have a Dishpro 500 with a quad LNB. I have a 721 in the bedroom and a 510 in the living room. When I buy the two 921, do I need to do any changes to my dish to get the high definition programming or can I use what I have?

Another question is, what is OTA on the 921?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

The first 921 will make an easy switch with the 721.
To switch the 510 to a 921, you'll either need to run a second line to that location or get a DPP44 switch and separator (this option will cost $200, so it probably will make more sense to go with running another line)

Are you asking about OTA in general? Well OTA is short for "Over the Air" this is how you'll receive your local HD channels with an antenna, like the good ole days ;) Visit this site to see what you should be able to receive and with what kind of antenna.

Thanks BFG

For the quick reply. I have a quad dishpro LNB with two connection for the 721 and one for the 510. One connection not being used. So I can run four connection off the quad lnb and thats two connections for each 921, correct?

Nothing else to add, to get high def. programing, right?

Ok, OTA is (Over the Air). I couldn't figure out what that abbreviation was, to save my life.

Thanks Again

Yup, just run another line for that second 921 and you'll be all set.

I don't think you'll be required to sub to the HD Pak, but you'd probably want it, since that's why you're getting HD. Also the 921 carries the VOD Fee like the 510 you have, unless you have AEP

America's Everything Pak. Basically every channel they carry minus the internationals and HD pak, plus all the movie channels.

If you want to set up an OTA antenna outside and pump it into both 921s at the same time you will need to get a multiswitch that has an OTA port.

Again, welcome to Satelliteguys!!

Thanks For the warm welcome, Guys. I have another question. I'm trying to do my homework on the 921. I was reading that the 921 has Up to 180 hours* SD recording, up to 25 hours* HD recording, or a combination of the two.

Does the 25 hours of Hd recording max the 250 gig hard drive or can I get 25 hours of Hd recording and 180 hours of SD recording, as if the 250 gig hard drive has two separate partition for HD and SD?

If the HD and SD share the same partition, does the 921 show you how much free space for HD and SD?

Has anyone tried to record the HD recorded content from there 921 to a dvd with a stand alone dvd recorder? I have a 80 gig panasonic DMR-E80S dvd recorder?

Thanks

I pretty sure 180 SD fills the hard drive just like 25 hours of HD will do. they two tradeoff.

Heavie said:
Thanks For the warm welcome, Guys. I have another question. I'm trying to do my homework on the 921. I was reading that the 921 has Up to 180 hours* SD recording, up to 25 hours* HD recording, or a combination of the two.
Thanks
It is a cumulative combination of the two. If you record 25 hours of HD, you get No room for SD. Figure it as a 10 to 1 ratio. Every 10 hours of SD is equal to 1 hour of HD.

Mark_AR said:
My definition of AEP is 'ALMOST EVERYTHING PACKAGE' :D

Plus what Neutron said.... :)

I have the America Everything Package with the triple x- 10 Xtasy channel for $110 a month. I wonder if there charging me $5 extra for the 510 reciever.

Has anyone tried to record the HD recorded content from there 921 to a dvd with a stand alone dvd recorder? I have a 80 gig panasonic DMR-E80S dvd recorder?

To answer my own question. I don't think there's anything out for consumer to record HD video. I saw on techtv the screensaver around a year ago, there was a VHS vcr recorder, that could record Hd video on a super vhs tape. But, I never heard anything since then. If 25 hours of hd video maxs a 250 gig harddrive, than you probably won't even get minute on a 4.7 gig dvd.

The recorders that are out now, are like you said, the D-VHS machines. dish had plans to include this capability with the 921, but taped it away...
You can use your DVD recorder using the analog outputs, but of course the HD content will be down converted for your DVD recorder.

Mark_AR said:
It is a cumulative combination of the two. If you record 25 hours of HD, you get No room for SD. Figure it as a 10 to 1 ratio. Every 10 hours of SD is equal to 1 hour of HD.
The ratio used for free space calculations is exactly 7 to 1.

Also note that not all of the 250GB drive is available for recording. E* keeps space for several things. Software, the "live TV buffer", and apparenty, the upcoming VOD movie space discussed elsewhere.

dfergie said:
I record downrezzed Hd to my DMR30 to dvd-ram with good results...(also to my Replay 's)(lot better than sd)

I have a replay 5040, that I was useing with a directv receiver, when I was with directv. I also got the ultimate TV receiver by microsoft. Having the replay 5040, the 721 and the 510. The ultimate tv receiver was the best dvr, I ever owned. The hard drive and software made the receiver run like fluid and it had 3 hour buffer memory. So many recording option.

With the replay 5040 I miss the automatic commercial skipping, when it work.
The replay picture quality was a little grainy. Even with the highest recording settings. Compare to a lot of people horror stories that own one, I had a good unit. But, I had my share of lockups, before sonicblue released the latest update.

But as far as picture quality the 510 and 721. The 721 hard drive has problem with certain channels, like HBO. It's locks up for 30 seconds, when you hit the 10 second skipback button or the rewind button. What's the deal with it, when you try to go frame for frame in slow motion? I sometimes think the hard drive is going to die in it.

Question anyone: I brought my 510 and 721 from sears and it has the JVC logo on it. Will dishnet honor repairing or replaceing if I paid the extra $5 a month options for repairs? Even I didn't buy from them directly.

Thanks

Yes the warranty will cover those products. You wont need to keep it on your account on a month by month basis though. When something goes wrong, you can call up to add it, then when everything is fixed you can call back to remove it ;)

Heavie said:
I have a replay 5040, that I was useing with a directv receiver, when I was with directv.

With the replay 5040 I miss the automatic commercial skipping, when it work.
The replay picture quality was a little grainy. Even with the highest recording settings. Compare to a lot of people horror stories that own one, I had a good unit. But, I had my share of lockups, before sonicblue released the latest update.

Thanks
Welcome Heavie...
I have 2 5040's(actually one is a 5280-has 280 mb's worth of drives and one is a 5240-has 240 mb's worth) and I ordered a 5504 the day before the 921's dropped price(ordered one of them also) I record downrezzed Hd on one, on medium setting...and get dvd like results(recording at high doubles the bitrate but the pq is not the much better)I record sd from Direct off the other one...both are connected by S-video in and both output via componet in 480p(I know the sd is not technically)one goes into an Hd set , one goes into a X1 PQ is dvd quality coming from downrezzed sources.. don't know why you had grainy results...and btw the Replay arrives Tuesday, the same day the 921 arrives, I will keep the Replay for sd and hook one of the upgraded ones to the 921....I think the PQ is better than from my Panasonic as that model had problems with Black. I will probably hook the 921 up first to allow software downloads, but the Replay will not be far behind... And will be patiently waiting, and hoping that someday the 921 will be upgradeable to more hours or archiving...(legally of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)