DISH Cheers Ruling on AutoHop, PrimeTime Anytime

Why is that? It never made sense to me why it is limited.

Primarily a marketing decision, probably influenced by provider relationships and contracts. It's not a 100% automated procedure from reports, so resources and the most bang for their buck is probably a factor.

Of course, the fact Dish inserts their own ads in most non-broadcast content may have something to do with it too.

Primarily a marketing decision, probably influenced by provider relationships and contracts. It's not a 100% automated procedure from reports, so resources and the most bang for their buck is probably a factor.

Of course, the fact Dish inserts their own ads in most non-broadcast content may have something to do with it too.

Yep what he said ptvc.One more reason that I can think of,the fact that the big 4 don't typically rerun their prime time shows several times per week like most cable channels do.

Certain individuals posting in this thread really ought to become pub members. ;)

Yep what he said ptvc.One more reason that I can think of,the fact that the big 4 don't typically rerun their prime time shows several times per week like most cable channels do.

Guess that makes some sense. I did spend some time an hour ago looking around for autohop info and read something where one reason was Dish felt that the "big 4" had all the popular shows.

In what way does it do this in that it doesn't for the DVR in general?

IMO, this is because Dish using copies of Fox programs in its "quality assurance" program is being interpreted as Dish using copyrighted material for it's own gain, thus violating their contract agreement with Fox. It's not like broadcasting Fox's programs per the contract.

As for others who brought up have the VIP722k with autohop, I would think Dish would view that as a backward move, taking away from the Hopper. The Hopper is the DVR "of the future," at least where Dish is concerned. Why offer an alternative that could hinder the advancement of the Hopper. IMO, the Hopper is a very good DVR with a lot of potential. Dish needs to continue to improve the Hopper, with the first thing being to get rid of the "bugs" it has at the
presence time. I like my Hopper, but I still feel it has a number of issues that need to be worked on and fixed ASAP.

Ghpr13:)

I think only Pub Members should be allowed to question the leader on this site. ;)

When my garage roof was being repaired, 61.5 and 72.7 disabled, I manually recorded SD network shows from 119, not PTAT in my area, and found Autohop working on the recordings.
Okay, didn't know that. So instead of 'markers' being added manually in the hours after a broadcast, there are likely already markers embedded in the broadcasts that are intended for local stations to use for inserting their own commercials.

As for others who brought up have the VIP722k with autohop, I would think Dish would view that as a backward move, taking away from the Hopper. The Hopper is the DVR "of the future," at least where Dish is concerned. Why offer an alternative that could hinder the advancement of the Hopper.
Well, I'm sure it has happened before, but how often has Dish back-ported a feature from newer receivers to older receivers ? That said, if they chose to in this case, it likely would have ZERO impact on the Hopper. If a new customer signs up today, Dish will give them a Hopper, not a 722k. This would only benefit existing customers (so don't hold one's breathe!!).

Why is that? It never made sense to me why it is limited.
I don't know for sure, but it's my guess that Dish is using the out of band signaling system that lets them know when commercials are set to occur. This system allows them to insert their own commercials at certain periods. I don't this system isn't available on all channels. Hence the limitation.

If you want commercial deletion on every channel, you would have to move to something like MythTV controlling a simple Dish receiver. It scans the actual program and deletes commercials on any channel that has them.

Hall said:
Well, I'm sure it has happened before, but how often has Dish back-ported a feature from newer receivers to older receivers ? That said, if they chose to in this case, it likely would have ZERO impact on the Hopper. If a new customer signs up today, Dish will give them a Hopper, not a 722k. This would only benefit existing customers (so don't hold one's breathe!!).

Yet installers have posted here that most installs are non Hopper.

Opinions from an leaser of 2 722s:

PTAT requires the stations on the same transponder to grab a chunk of frequencies. The channels would have to be adjacent on the transponder--whatever that means. Certainly a limit of 8 or so for HD. and Dish has arranged the common transponder and adjacency for its locals. It could be extended to say some of the HBO and other groups on single transponders. The limit of 4 HD (what for SD?) is likely due to bandwidth and the BW would likely overwhelm the 722 line, although I could hope.

The autohop likely (that word again) requires adding info on the breakpoints (the ads) to the single-channel streams. The nightly delay is possibly an early legal defense or they really are post-facto adding the markers and not using the stream itself.

Then again, I have or had a DVD recorder that would mark the stream at the commercials and could skip them on replay so it can be done with some information already in its single stream, like a change of blanking. It was not totally reliable but could be done for any channel, NTSC composite back then--it might be different for ATSC or whatever Dish uses.

-Ken

Yet installers have posted here that most installs are non Hopper.
If that's the case, most installs are single-room setups or non-dvr? Presume that's true, again, no impact on Hopper then as it's clearly not enticing customers to take a 722k over a Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)