Dish close to entering wireless market?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The problem is that the broadband companies can't make any money in the underserved areas, or they would have been wired years ago.
Yes, but this is wireless, the cost to serve an area is much cheaper wireless than wide. Perhaps they might be able to take advantage of some federal grants, like the old universal service fund. Rural dwellers are as entitled to fast reliable broadband as urban dwellers. The line of thinking that you have correctly stated (cost of service per mile) is exactly the reason FDR proposed the REA, we need a new REA, this time for broadband.

I think you took my wording wrong, I meant both should have equal access. Do you not think I should have access to electricity just like you do, even though I live in a sparsely populated area? Water, gas, telephone. If it were not for the Rural Electrification Act, it would not be here, because the corporate powers that be couldn't make enough money off of it. But I digress, perhaps getting into pit territory. You mistook my use of the word "entitled," I should have used "equal access."

I do agree with you to an extent Bob. Those that choose to live rural, do give up certain amenities. I do not beleive those in rural areas "deserve" equal access to gigabit Internet. I also do not expect me, in a huge metropolitan area, to be able to really see the stars or understand what it's like to see a deer in my front yard. Even electricity, you give up some quality in electricity the further out you go, and rightfully so as most are going out there to get away from the cities.

I think you took my wording wrong, I meant both should have equal access. Do you not think I should have access to electricity just like you do, even though I live in a sparsely populated area? Water, gas, telephone. If it were not for the Rural Electrification Act, it would not be here, because the corporate powers that be couldn't make enough money off of it. But I digress, perhaps getting into pit territory. You mistook my use of the word "entitled," I should have used "equal access."

Yea but electricity is a necessity.

Water, you can drill a well. Sewers you can get a septic tank, gas you can get a big propane tank.

I think telephone is required to be provided but internet is really not a necessity.

Eventually several things are going to happen...

1) with the cost of copper going up and the cost of fiber optics going down its not going to make any sense to replace copper telephone lines with copper.

As the telephone infrastructure gets upgraded, high speed internet comes along with it.

2) as cell phones become more and more popular, more cell towers get built and 4G LTE becomes available everywhere.

3) as 4g LTE Is rolled out, the cost of data goes down and eventually the data caps get raised

Water, you can drill a well. Sewers you can get a septic tank, gas you can get a big propane tank.

I think telephone is required to be provided but internet is really not a necessity.

1) with the cost of copper going up and the cost of fiber optics going down its not going to make any sense to replace copper telephone lines with copper.

As the telephone infrastructure gets upgraded, high speed internet comes along with it.

2) as cell phones become more and more popular, more cell towers get built and 4G LTE becomes available everywhere.

3) as 4g LTE Is rolled out, the cost of data goes down and eventually the data caps get raised
75 years ago electricity was not considered a necessity. Telephone wasn't either. The REA and FCC's universal service fund helped to change that. The same thing will eventually happen to broadband.

Reactions: mike123abc
Finally, DISH Network Is Ready to Embrace Its Wireless Destiny http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...sh-network-is-ready-to-embrace-its-wirel.aspx
This day has been a long time coming. Satellite TV operator DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH ) has been accumulating and hoarding wireless spectrum for years, which, in turn, naturally prompted speculation that the company was interested in becoming a mobile network operator. Most recently, DISH scooped up nearly half of the spectrum auctioned off by the FCC.Yahoo! Finance is now reporting that DISH's entry may be imminent after getting its hands on a confidential document suggesting that DISH is looking for a new chief marketing officer to spearhead its efforts. In no uncertain terms, the document states that DISH is preparing to enter the wireless business and become the "only" company to offer wireless voice, video, and data services.

Reactions: fhsucade07

With more and more people abandoning POTS, there is less and less incentive to upgrade or even maintain copper.

A drunk ran over the pedestal at the end of my driveway several years ago. it was literally in pieces on the ground for over a year before the monopoly POTS company showed up to fix it. The "fix" consisted of taking the two sections of cover and duct taping them back around the hardware. Two years later, it's still laying on the ground. Fiber may show up, but not in my lifetime.

I have to disagree. Every company tells you they do that at the website. Even employers want resume submission ON-LINE ONLY, not snail mail (I don't think the want the paper clutter, as well). It's as if Snail Mail or the just yesterday way of doing things had never existed. Even getting applications, one is always directed to the website, and no, they do not know what to say or do if you respond that you don't have access to the internet. Oh, wait, they do say to go to the public library or use a friend or family's internet connection. Otherwise, you are SOL. I've had family come to me DESPERATE to use my internet access for all manner of things. Also, the ONLY way a potential landlord would accept my brother and his wife's credit reports was in ELECTRONIC FORM and it had to be E-MAILED to them. My poor bother had to come use my scanner/software for other paperwork that would only be accepted in ELECTRONIC form--over a hundred pages of data. That's the way it is here in the big city. I do understand things move far more slowly in rural America, as I do have loved ones in rural USA and visit them, and it's easier to be in the 20th century there, but NOT HERE. One had better have internet access or you are OUT and can't get a whole lot of things.

The attitude one gets if you offer that you have no internet access is like how can one NOT have a phone (yes, you are expected to have at least a cell phone) or mailing address. Even our government programs to employ people have to provide an email address, a telephone number and computers with access to internet for those on programs looking for work because that is about the ONLY way one is ever going to get a job. Today, it is assumed everybody has access to the internet and the companies we all deal with have set things up for JUST that. They prefer dealing with data in digital form, not paper.
Our gadgets no longer come with instruction books. We are, instead, told to go to the website and download it. Oh, and if you want that gadget to work properly, you had better have internet access to update the firmware to fix the bugs on it. It also reduces costs for them to go all internet/Web, as well. "Why should we print those costly owners manuals when EVERYONE has the internet to download it," they say at corporate meetings. No, they don't PRINT ANY manuals. You keep getting told to go to the website. "It's ALL there."

I'm glad the planet on which you live does things in far more simple times way, and you can get along without internet access, and, presumably, an automobile--such a frill cars are as they only increase your chance at employment and earning power as employers LOVE that you don't have to depend upon rural public transportation; surely a steed will do for you--but for the rest of us living in the 21st century. Internet access IS a necessity--to whatever degree, but still a necessity at many points--whether we have it our selves or beg others to please let us use their PC and internet connection--and scanner and printer and fax--so I can get a job or an apartment, please!

Last edited:
You know I will.

I will say this, I sell comcast and several of the major cable providers like Time Warner and Charter. and they do things super simple and easy.

You call to order TV and want internet it's as simple as checking another box on the ordering screen.

The problem with Dish is that they are going to want a 2 year contract, data caps, and right to your first born child.

We shall see, but if dish thinks they are going to compete with comcast they are not going to win.

Besides, dish had a ton on wireless spectrum 4 years ago when I used to work with them. Here we are 4 years later and still nothing.

Even Directv now becoming a part of ATT will not cut it. The whole uverse internet ordering process is too difficult.
On AT&T uverse....it's also confusing. Many areas where AT&T is the incumbent local telco, Uverse is unavailable. This applies to where my parents live in FL....
Anyway, if Dish uses their current model of 2 year contracts and ETF's along with data caps, the only areas where the service will sell are the same ones where most Dishnet systems are sold. Out in the sticks.

What about the millions of underserved rural areas (I live in one where 4.0/512 is the fastest available, and it doesn't work well, usually much slower) I would definitely change to a Dish broadband service with a reasonable data cap. There are hundreds of thousands of rural areas where broadband is not available. Perhaps they can offer services to these areas and not compete directly with Comcast. What most people fail to remember is that not everyone, and, certainly A LOT of Dish customers, live in urban and suburban areas.
Living in a rural vs suburban or urban area comes with certain trade offs. One of which is a lack of high speed internet.
I'm not sure even wireless high speed internet can be made available in far fulng areas for a couple reasons. One, towers have to be built. Two, the market has to be wrapped up to make it cost effective.
In other words, unless a certain percentage of residents in say a rural county agree they will take the service, it makes little sense for the provider to supply the infrastructure.

Yes, but this is wireless, the cost to serve an area is much cheaper wireless than wide. Perhaps they might be able to take advantage of some federal grants, like the old universal service fund. Rural dwellers are as entitled to fast reliable broadband as urban dwellers. The line of thinking that you have correctly stated (cost of service per mile) is exactly the reason FDR proposed the REA, we need a new REA, this time for broadband.
Tower construction is not cheap. There is land acquisition/leases. Permits. Objection to towers by local residents. Legal costs to fight the NIMBY's.....All add cost. Somebody has got to pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)