Dish closing more Blockbuster stores

Blockbuster had so much potential when dish bought the company, and they just pissed it away.

The first thing they should have done is copied Netflix and built a good streaming platform and then focused on the DVD by mail business.

We have several family video stores and they do very well in my area. With the millions and billions of dollars behind dish you would think they could do something good.

The sad part is that blockbuster was a good brand, and dish has only made the brand look bad to the point now that it has no value.

Yes, because Blockbuster and it's brand we're doing famously before Dish bought them out of BANKRUPTCY.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well one things for sure,if their not stocking plenty of new releases on blu ray,they won't be in business for long.We have a regional chain here,they are still doing very well.They also get quite a few copies of new releases on blu ray.That plus a great game selection helps them to do well.

I figured they bought Blockbuster to also show the displays in their store to sell Dish Network systems to replace retailers. I also figured if they get this wireless venture going that they would use those stores to sell that product. Perhaps they could reopen some of the locations if the sales go well with the remaining Blockbuster stores to try to get more sales in other areas? The brick and mortar stores could have been a great place for Dish Network customers to come in if they had issues with their systems, exchanged bad pieces out and perhaps see demonstrations for upgrades like some of the cable companies do along with the cell phone companies.

Yes, because Blockbuster and it's brand we're doing famously before Dish bought them out of BANKRUPTCY.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Why yes the Blockbuster name did have plenty of value. Otherwise Charlie wouldn't have bought it and renamed Dish Platinum to BB@Home.

There are still some regional chains that make money, so the b&m rental model is far from dead. Especially while true high speed internet is spotty in this country and many isps have caps.

Hind-site is 20/20, but it looks like Dish never really wanted to make BBV a successful dvd rental company. Otherwise, they would have done things completely different.

Just got back from my blockbuster store in Hilo Hawaii and found out while i was there that the store was closing. Sad because on the big island of Hawaii, that was the only blockbuster we had on the entire island. There goes instore exchanges unless i jump on a plane and fly to Maui where the next closest bb is located!

Sent from my ZTE WARP using satelliteguys.

They have closed 2 by me and the one that is 4 mins away as soon as they were liquidating it they posted a coming soon sign for family video. I used to go to blockbuster when I was a kid and they were always swamped. Then when they tried to say pay no late fees when returning they failed to state the disclaimer for that so when people would return movies days later they had all these late charges. Family video is busy on weekends here but if a video isn't returned by midnight the next day then they'll charge the full day rental price. I've used them several times and sometimes I get a bluray so scratched that I have to return it to exchange.

I said it last year, that DISH will close down the remaining Blockbuster stores by this year's end. The future of video is streaming ,not physical dvds or blu-rays. DISH made a mistake not expanding the company to more outlets for streaming. Instead I see more and more of the streaming apps being shut down . On my tv , my blu ray player all used to have working blockbuster apps and now they are no longer supported. At this rate, Blockbuster will be a closed to the public and only DISH customers will have access to the movies through their in house service or over their streaming vod section of the receiver itself.

I do agree that streaming is the future however I find it annoying that much content is not available for streaming and movies expire so quickly when they do stream. That ticks me off sometimes that I end up buying the BluRay when a movie Netflix use to stream is no longer available.

dishfan82 said:
They have closed 2 by me and the one that is 4 mins away as soon as they were liquidating it they posted a coming soon sign for family video. I used to go to blockbuster when I was a kid and they were always swamped. Then when they tried to say pay no late fees when returning they failed to state the disclaimer for that so when people would return movies days later they had all these late charges. Family video is busy on weekends here but if a video isn't returned by midnight the next day then they'll charge the full day rental price. I've used them several times and sometimes I get a bluray so scratched that I have to return it to exchange.

Family video has been going behind some of the closings and have been opening stores in its place.

The thing that irritates me the most about family video is that they got this automated phone system that bugs the crap out of you if your a day late.

I have no issues paying the late fee if I'm not done watching my videos. But please leave me alone, especially after I told them to charge me for another rental

Last time they called me, I returned the videos, paid the late fee and told them I was never coming back. Haven't been back Since.

Family video has been going behind some of the closings and have been opening stores in its place.

The thing that irritates me the most about family video is that they got this automated phone system that bugs the crap out of you if your a day late.

I have no issues paying the late fee if I'm not done watching my videos. But please leave me alone, especially after I told them to charge me for another rental

Last time they called me, I returned the videos, paid the late fee and told them I was never coming back. Haven't been back Since.
No such thing as a perfect company, right Claude?

Last edited:

And the other side of that coin is that Family Video probably thinks they are doing you a favor by telling you, right up front, that you are overdue. How many people forget they had the movie at all and then get charged for the entire cost of the DVD....

The only video rental within 50 miles of us is Redbox. BBV & Hollywood long gone. We get the BB@H disc through the mail and the family loves it. So far we are getting pretty good service turn around but we don't rent New Releases so it works for us. We are rural with DSL only so streaming isn't a good option for us. Hope they at least keep the disc by mail going.

Thanks for the update KAB. But I think they started moving on the financial side in March after it was postponed. In talking with personnel at Dish they did not intend
to keep open all the stores. anyway here we are.

Looks like the only BB to remain open within 30 miles of my location is the one at which you are more likely to get beaten, robbed, and shot in the parking lot rather than get the movie you wanted.

Drove by our local blockbuster, no out of business signs, hope it stays that way. And there was the usual busy Friday night crowd there as well :)

The manager of my local BB store says she was told that her store was not closing, since they are making a profit. I do not know when there lease is up. Hmmmm!:popcorn

The manager of my local BB store says she was told that her store was not closing, since they are making a profit. I do not know when there lease is up. Hmmmm!:popcorn

Yea the whole expiring lease thing does add another element just because the store is doing well I guess is not that is all involved :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)