Dish closing more Blockbuster stores

All the BBs have closed up around here. In fact almost all the video rental places are closed. There is one small shop that I know of and the rest are redbox.

BB is the only video store in our area, I have one about five minutes away and one about 20 minutes away. The other video store family video is about 40 minutes or so away of course no more mom and pop video stores, remember all those, at one time the mom and pop stores were on every corner it seemed like

Many of these stores started out renting Beta & VHS tapes. First Beta died off then VHS and now DVDs. Netflix now has 23 million streaming customers and 8 million DVD by mail customers.

When will DVD rentals be a thing of the past?

Last edited:
Many of these stores started out renting Beta & VHS tapes. First Beta died off then VHS on now DVDs. Netflix now has 23 million streaming customers and 8 million DVD by mail customers.

When will DVD rentals be a thing of the past?

By the end of this decade, if not sooner, I predict.

That's why Blu-Ray hasn't taken off as fast as DVD did. Believe it or not a lot of people still don't have HDTVs. Streaming movies have cut into Blu-Ray a lot too, I bet. Even most people with HDTVs don't seem to care too much about PQ. As long as it "fills the screen" they don't care. People will stretch and mutilate the picture in every which fashion to get it to "fill the screen." So that is why products such as U-verse can still be successful.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I went to my local store here today in McAlester, Oklahoma. It's just a couple if blocks down the road. The Manager said that our store will stay in business, but Oklahoma City will loose every single one of them and Tulsa, Oklahoma will only keep two. I was amazed as our town is only a fraction of the size as the two biggest cities in our state.
Almost seems now that there is only a handful remaining in Oklahoma.

I went to my local store here today in McAlester, Oklahoma. It's just a couple if blocks down the road. The Manager said that our store will stay in business, but Oklahoma City will loose every single one of them and Tulsa, Oklahoma will only keep two. I was amazed as our town is only a fraction of the size as the two biggest cities in our state.
Almost seems now that there is only a handful remaining in Oklahoma.

Sounds like your store is managing to stay profitable. I've been to Mcallister before and that's crazy you guys are keeping one but Tulsa only 2 and OKC none considering how much larger Tulsa and OKC are.

Yeah, I talked to the Manager there and he is really a good guy. Every business should have one like that. I asked him and said I was surprised about the closings in the major cities and ours here to stay open. He mentioned something about a lot of thefts in those stores and not enough traffic.
See it kinda makes sense. Those big cities also have major Internet technology like LTE and more than 50MBPS Internet at home connections. People there stream movies more than to go to the stores to rent a disc.
Around here there is just 3G since recently and I just got 18MBPS U-Verse not long ago. But I am one of a few so far.
So around here it is still very common to go to the store for a movie.

Yeah, I talked to the Manager there and he is really a good guy. Every business should have one like that. I asked him and said I was surprised about the closings in the major cities and ours here to stay open. He mentioned something about a lot of thefts in those stores and not enough traffic.
See it kinda makes sense. Those big cities also have major Internet technology like LTE and more than 50MBPS Internet at home connections. People there stream movies more than to go to the stores to rent a disc.
Around here there is just 3G since recently and I just got 18MBPS U-Verse not long ago. But I am one of a few so far.
So around here it is still very common to go to the store for a movie.

It makes a lot of sense that big cities would be poor rental markets with high speed internet prevalent. Perhaps BB will just be a small town fixture now.

We have a Dish "sales" area in our BB, it's not much of a area, table and some materials near the Hopper display they have. Not sure if the BB staff are to work in that area, because there has been a posting for some time for a sales person

Our local Walmarts all have a Redbox video inside their entrances. A lot of the Tom Thumb convienance stores also have Redbox on the sidewalk outside their entrances. I am sure Redbox is putting a dent in BB store rentals. Why stop at a BB store when you can rent a movie when you pickup a loaf of bread.

That's why Blu-Ray hasn't taken off as fast as DVD did. Believe it or not a lot of people still don't have HDTVs. Streaming movies have cut into Blu-Ray a lot too, I bet. Even most people with HDTVs don't seem to care too much about PQ. As long as it "fills the screen" they don't care. People will stretch and mutilate the picture in every which fashion to get it to "fill the screen." So that is why products such as U-verse can still be successful.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I must be a mutilator then:D I simply loathe when the picture doesn't fill the tv screen!That was one of the reasons that pushed me to hdtv.Little did I know that letterbox movies would still be in letterbox format on a 16x9 screen.:eek:
At least most of the sat content natively fills the screen.It was terrible on 4x3 screens.

I must be a mutilator then:D I simply loathe when the picture doesn't fill the tv screen!That was one of the reasons that pushed me to hdtv.Little did I know that letterbox movies would still be in letterbox format on a 16x9 screen.:eek:
At least most of the sat content natively fills the screen.It was terrible on 4x3 screens.
That's understandable. I think what Halo was referring to regarding "mutilation" is stretching 4x3 content onto a 16x9 screen, making everthing "fat".

I am sure red box is putting a hurt on not only Bob but Netflix as well along with ppv purchases. Dish missed the boat with this one. They should have had something like what red box is doing. They could have even had a service to where you could receive in mail and drop off at a location like redbox which would instantly give you access to another rental. They could have also setup a red box type of thing at all the stores they closed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I am sure red box is putting a hurt on not only Bob but Netflix as well along with ppv purchases. Dish missed the boat with this one. They should have had something like what red box is doing. They could have even had a service to where you could receive in mail and drop off at a location like redbox which would instantly give you access to another rental. They could have also setup a red box type of thing at all the stores they closed.

Yea,thats a good point.I also feel they missed the boat with streaming.

Our local Walmarts all have a Redbox video inside their entrances. A lot of the Tom Thumb convienance stores also have Redbox on the sidewalk outside their entrances. I am sure Redbox is putting a dent in BB store rentals. Why stop at a BB store when you can rent a movie when you pickup a loaf of bread.
And, more importantly, it's only $1 vs the $4 or so BB was getting when I had a membership.

Unfortunately, there are already Blockbuster-branded vending machines. But, they are owned by another vending company that licensed the BB name from BB before Dish purchased them. So, Dish wouldn't be able to leverage the brand.

When I was at our local Bloclbuster yesterday I didn't see any closing signs so I am thinking the store is ok. Our store has a Hopper display and about three flat screens working throughout the store. I don't know if that helps that there has been some promtion of dish. I enjoy having a video store open, but I do also understand that maybe the concept won't be around to much longer. Maybe Dish does add more "Dish" stuff to the store to keep them around?

As many other blockbuster were, it's a big part of a plaza that has already had a few stores leave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)