Dish commercial stating "multi room viewing"

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Has anyone else seen the Dish commercial comparing Dish with DirecTV? It shows two TV's sitting side by side. One has DirecTV logo on it and the other has Dish logo. It says one of the major differences in the two services is that on Dish you can record a program on one TV and watch that same program on a different TV in the house. Is this something new from Dish? I didn't think this was possible with Dish receivers.

Nope, they don't. Realize, however, that they do NOT mention that the TV2 is SD analog only though. All HD will be reduced to SD for TV2.
Actually they do under some CE testing. It will be national shortly. The difference being is that with the Direct MRV you can watch any recorded program on any TV from any DVR. It is a networked system.

Actually they do under some CE testing. It will be national shortly. The difference being is that with the Direct MRV you can watch any recorded program on any TV from any DVR. It is a networked system.

That is almost worth switching - especially if it allows all the receivers to do HD. Any word yet on when Dish will be offering this? Scott has alluded to it a few times.

I would kill for true multiroom viewing, like Direct or the fiber providers. I want to watch my HD recording in HD on any receiver, and I want the boxes to talk to each other to resolve recording conflicts. No more identical timers on multiple boxes, and no more worrying about free tuners for recordings.

I would kill for true multiroom viewing, like Direct or the fiber providers. I want to watch my HD recording in HD on any receiver, and I want the boxes to talk to each other to resolve recording conflicts. No more identical timers on multiple boxes, and no more worrying about free tuners for recordings.

Direct does NOT have MRV available to the general public yet.

They will have it "real soon now" as they have been saying for the last year or more. :D Hold your breath only if you look really good in blue!

My neighborhood is finally being wired for U-verse and when I can get it, will dump Direct in a heartbeat. They make a lot of promises, but deliver on few. At least FIOS and U-verse actually have MRV and as long as I can get HD in any room when I want, that will work just fine for me, even with the maximum of 2 HD channels that can be watched live at any time.

. Realize, however, that they do NOT mention that the TV2 is SD analog only though. reduced to SD for TV2.
Why should they? They could have been talking about 522's and 625's for all we know. Most customers still subscribe to SD programming. 522 and 625 are SD in both TV1 and TV2.
HD or Not 622 and 722 still serve 2 rooms.

Direct does NOT have MRV available to the general public yet.

They will have it "real soon now" as they have been saying for the last year or more. :D Hold your breath only if you look really good in blue!

My neighborhood is finally being wired for U-verse and when I can get it, will dump Direct in a heartbeat. They make a lot of promises, but deliver on few. At least FIOS and U-verse actually have MRV and as long as I can get HD in any room when I want, that will work just fine for me, even with the maximum of 2 HD channels that can be watched live at any time.
I don't recall them saying anything until a few months ago. Testing has been going on for about a year, but they have not announced MRV during that time.

One benefit, though, is that if you are the only one using the two televisions, you can have the same HD mirrored on both, and switch rooms and still have HD.

Could you explain what you said? For some reason I'm not following...unless are you saying that you can watch an HD program on either TV, only on TV2 if would be in SD...Is that what you meant?
Ghpr13:confused:

Last edited:

Could you explain what you said? For some reason I'm not following...unless are you saying that you can watch an HD program on either TV, only on TV2 if would be in SD...Is that what you meant?
Ghpr13:confused:
You can watch HD programming on more than 1 TV at a time from one receiver as long as both are showing the same programming

You could get HD on set #2 if you used HDMI or component video to it.

On another note, MRV that D* is currently testing is all well and good, but it would be nice if they could first get the HR series to do the basic things well. I left D* strictly because of the HR20 and HR21s. Slow and non-responsive are the two nicest things I can say about them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)