Dish Contract Policy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cyclist66

Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I'm 4 months into my Dish experience and it's not been a happy one. I have weird audio sync problems on my HD channels (Vip722), frequent signal loss on HD channels and a lack of local HD. I guess you could say my problems are mostly HD related. The final insult came over the weekend while watching football on the local Fox affiliate. During the 3rd quarter the picture disappeared and a message popped up saying my box wasn't authorized to receive this channel! I did the box reset to no avail and CS was little help other than guiding me through some menus until the local channels spontaneously came back on.

I called CS later to inquire about the remaining time on my contract and found I'm 4 months into the 18 month deal. I was also told if I cancel I'm on the hook for the entire cost of the remaining contract!! I find it hard to believe that I would owe Dish $1200 if I choose to leave.

Can anyone clue me in as to whether the CS rep was lying or at least exaggerating? This has been a frustrating experience.

Thanks!

First, see about getting the box replaced/swapped. Anytime something happens "spontaneously" indicates a problem and if it were a software problem, others would likely see it too.

Second, what do you think a contract means ? You agreed to keep the service for "x" period of time. It wouldn't be $1200 to walk away either. I presume that's based on your current monthly rate.... What they do, I believe, is get you for the lowest-cost, eligible package, which would be AT100 (or whatever it's currently called) + HD. That's $29.99 + $20 ... or $700 for (14) more months. I have seen people mention a $13.xx per month cost a number of times but don't know where that's from. Dish will be offering a $10/mo HD package so on top of AT100 that would instead be $560 to walk away.

Dunno it's in the discloures >> We get told it covers install costs / start-up costs for new customers >> If they decided not to keep it

it's based on you, as a customer, canceling a contract. If you didn't want to be charged a fee for leaving the contract you could have paid $50 up front. you agreed to maintain service for 18 months...dish took you at your word, you renegged, they charge you a penalty to release you from the contract. Lots of companies do this. Just try to cancel a contract cell phone and see what they tell you to pay.

it's based on you, as a customer, canceling a contract. If you didn't want to be charged a fee for leaving the contract you could have paid $50 up front. you agreed to maintain service for 18 months...dish took you at your word, you renegged, they charge you a penalty to release you from the contract. Lots of companies do this. Just try to cancel a contract cell phone and see what they tell you to pay.

The problem is reatailers or dish never tell you about the $50 option. I know if I knew of that, I would have paid it in heartbeat. Now i'm stuck with Dish until it becomes economically smart for me to cancel. I figure mid-spring.

I think they don't tell us for customer retention >> If the reps speaking to customer on a daily basis don't know then a lot of customer will not know either

You can lawfully break the contract without penalty if DISH fails to deliver on their end of the contract.

An occasional hiccup isn't going to be sufficient.

You need to clarify exactly what you expect them to provide and show that in the contract they are obligated to provide it. Then, send them a certified letter stating they have to meet their obligations by a certain day. The address you need to mail it to is in your contract. If, after that period of time they don't meet their obligation in the contract, you can disconnect citing that DISH failed to meet the terms of the contract and was in breach.

You will probably still be sent a bill for the chargeback. Just make sure you respond back that you don't owe them due to their breach of contract. If it goes to collections, the collector usually allows for you to dispute the charge. Providing documentation to support your assertion that DISH breached the contract should do. Worst case scenario is the collection ends up on your credit, but once again you can have TRW, Experian and Equifax remove the collection from your record by showing documentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts