Dish Customer Service is Ridiculous

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
I just got a call from Dish Network. They asked me if i have a business at my property, I do. I explained that the service is for my home and that all receivers are in my HOUSE, and you are welcome to come inspect. Sorry sir, because your property is zoned commercial and your residence is on your commercial property you will have to have your account converted to a Commercial account.

This is the last straw. I endured the Extra receiver fees of $17 for each of my 3 extra receivers. I endured the Loss of the NY RSN's and now I'm being targeted to have my programing halved and my bill is going up again.

Dish service will be terminated as soon as I get DirecTV straightened out.

Dish wonders why they are losing customers.

I also get the benefit of continuing to pay the ridiculous extra receiver fees even though I own all of my extra receivers.

John

Last edited:
Saying anything bad about dish in a dish forum is going to bring out damage control & regardless of your situation it will be your fault..........just saying.

Generally residences are not allowed in a Commercial zone,it has to be a mixed zone if commercial businesses are present. But it certainly is possible to be grandfathered if it happened before zoning. That said, it seems to me someone had to call Dish, you can't tell me they look up what zone your house is in on their own.

What is the difference (money and package) between a residential account and commercial account?

I looked at Dish Bussines page today, because I wondered the same, and as I found they have a lot of A La Carte packages...
Like Entertainment package, different packs with different ESPNs, Action Package, Lifestyle package, etc.
Why we residential users can't have those? There were like 2 that I might add :p

yeah because that $20 to start (gives you locals and all the shopping channels) and $12 a package looks real enticing :rolleyes:

You must have pissed some one off but it could be just the luck if the drawl that they hit your account.
I have flipped many accounts to DTV due to dish's crazy pricing and audit fools why should a customer pay up the @** or have 2-3 accounts paying $500+ a month when they can get the same thing with direct under $200.

Dear Audit team try this to save some face.

# 1 prior to shutting down an account run the address in google maps and see how large the house is. Ok its massive with 3 pools , lake and a race track mabe they need 6 boxes or more . O look its an apartment with 6 boxes and addres shows 1-2 bedrooms 6 duals (12 tv's) is to many .

#2 put 2 or 3 boxes on a fake searching for signal. If some "magic" tech calls in and replaces the boxes replace them and then have the new 2 search for signal in 48hr then set up a DNS QC tech to go to the house and see if every thing looks real. Even if the customer takes 2-3 weeks for tech the tech could see that its all rong with 11 new cables and 1 old cable when all boxes have been installed 5 years ago. if they are doing bad things activate all boxes then ship out recovery kit and shut down the account the same day it comes.

I have to say that this seems odd. I don't see why it matters what zone you residence is in as long as it is not technically a business. As for the a la carte programming they offer, it could get real expensive. It will get real expensive if you want sports mainly. I've priced it out for some businesses before and it sucks. For example, if a bank wanted Dish and they wanted primarily news/business station they would first have to get the starter package at $20. After that there are about 3 packages that has news channels in them and each are $12. They seem to have the popular ones separated.

I liked Dish's old package that about everything for $149 and included locals and HD. To get that same thing now it would cost over $200.

I guess my question would be; does DirecTV not care about zoning, meaning you can get Residential service in a residence that is Zoned as Commercial? Have you checked with them, specifically asking this question? I can see why Dish, or any TV provider, would do this; if everyone in a Commercial Zone said, "I live in the back", or "I have a room there", then the provider would have to roll a truck ($), and do some kind of individual evaluation ($) for each account in a Commercial Zone. Then someone would say; "Well so-and-so has a Residential Account because he lives in the back, why can't I have one at my business", and then the CSR's are having to take calls ($), research to make decisions ($), or have someone else make decisions ($), and now your trying to manage something you should not be. I think they are just keeping it simple; you either live in a place that is Zoned Residential, or you are in a place that is Zoned Commercial. I know it stinks in your case, and if I were in your shoes, I would be upset, but I do see their side also (unless someone tells me I have it wrong).

JohnL said:
I also get the benefit of continuing to pay the ridiculous extra receiver fees even though I own all of my extra receivers.

John

sorry to hear you are getting screwed, but, the 'extra reciever fees' is not 'extra reciever fees'. Lets all get this clear, it is called Programming Access Fee. And whether you own the reciever or lease the reciever the fees are all the same.

Good luck with Direct, as i am sure you will 'never have an issue'.

What type of building or business is this? Is it all one building that your business and your residence are in? If so, do you have any TVs in the business that run off of your Dish equipment? If you only have Dish in your residence then I see no problem with it but if you have, lets say, side 2 of a dual tuner split out to some TVs in your business then I can see why Dish wouldn't like that. Seems like a crappy deal but I can understand both sides of the story being a customer and a business person myself.

This gentleman seems to be a prime candidate to "move".

Change your service address to a place nearby or not-so-nearby that is zoned commercial and does not have Dish service, maybe even an apartment building in a made-up apt #.

I have to say that this seems odd. I don't see why it matters what zone you residence is in as long as it is not technically a business. As for the a la carte programming they offer, it could get real expensive. It will get real expensive if you want sports mainly. I've priced it out for some businesses before and it sucks. For example, if a bank wanted Dish and they wanted primarily news/business station they would first have to get the starter package at $20. After that there are about 3 packages that has news channels in them and each are $12. They seem to have the popular ones separated.

I liked Dish's old package that about everything for $149 and included locals and HD. To get that same thing now it would cost over $200.

Well, if they are making you get the 20 dollar starter package. It's not true ala carte. It's BS!

Being in the hotel business. I know a lot owners who live on property. They have all faces this on time or another. It it is a commercial address they will catch you sooner or later.

Also, cables companies do the same both for programming and Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)