Dish Customer thinking about moving to D* questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rapidturtle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
North Eastern PA
I'm a Dish customer in NY, and thinking about trying out D* due to loosing my RSN's. I have a few questions about the HR34 setup.

1. Will D* help out with my ETF. I have about 9 months left on my Dish 2 year agreement due to an equip upgrade.

2. I remember seeing on here a comparison chart for HD channels from the 2 providers. Can anyone provide a link for that?

3. Will a slingbox work with D*, and the HR34 setup, and would it be any type of solution for my next question?

4. I have 5 T.V.'s in my house. All HD. We really have 3 main ones that we use right now. My setup from E* is one 722 feeding main T.V. and the second signal is split to office/exercise room and my son's room who is in college most of the year (SD FEED) I also have 2 211's, 1 in my bedroom and another in my son's room. My other son is also going to college in the fall. I really have just the two T.V.'s that I use most of the time, and a third in my office/exercise room used on occasion. I just need a way to get T.V. in the 2 boys rooms when they come home on breaks, but I don't want to the the extra monthly reciever fee's for the whole year, when they are only here for 3 to 4 months.
If I get the HR34 setup, with two extra HD boxes, ( I guess the H25's), can I somehow split the signal and get it on the other two T.V.'s? I wouldn't mind if they were in SD like they are now. Also, does D* have a remote like a Dish 722 or 222, that works on a radio signal? If not, is there an app for a smart phone that could work like a remote control? If I can do this, will the installers hook it up this way?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and if I need to explain my setup more, I can give it a shot.

I'm a Dish customer in NY, and thinking about trying out D* due to loosing my RSN's. I have a few questions about the HR34 setup.

1. Will D* help out with my ETF. I have about 9 months left on my Dish 2 year agreement due to an equip upgrade.

2. I remember seeing on here a comparison chart for HD channels from the 2 providers. Can anyone provide a link for that?

3. Will a slingbox work with D*, and the HR34 setup, and would it be any type of solution for my next question?

4. I have 5 T.V.'s in my house. All HD. We really have 3 main ones that we use right now. My setup from E* is one 722 feeding main T.V. and the second signal is split to office/exercise room and my son's room who is in college most of the year (SD FEED) I also have 2 211's, 1 in my bedroom and another in my son's room. My other son is also going to college in the fall. I really have just the two T.V.'s that I use most of the time, and a third in my office/exercise room used on occasion. I just need a way to get T.V. in the 2 boys rooms when they come home on breaks, but I don't want to the the extra monthly reciever fee's for the whole year, when they are only here for 3 to 4 months.
If I get the HR34 setup, with two extra HD boxes, ( I guess the H25's), can I somehow split the signal and get it on the other two T.V.'s? I wouldn't mind if they were in SD like they are now. Also, does D* have a remote like a Dish 722 or 222, that works on a radio signal? If not, is there an app for a smart phone that could work like a remote control? If I can do this, will the installers hook it up this way?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and if I need to explain my setup more, I can give it a shot.

1. Us, as a retailer, will pay some customers cancel fees to sign up with us.
2. Agree with above post.
3. Agree with above post.
4. Agree with above post, but I would recommend an HR34 and 2 H24/25's or an HR24 and 2 H24/25's.

As far as the two extra TV sets go, you could get an HDMI splitter and an HDMI extender over ethernet and it would work. You could get the RF remote kit for the H25's and control them from the remote room. I use a ViewHD 1x2 splitter from Amazon it is about $40, and the TrippLite HDMI Over CAT5/CAT6 Wallplate Extender it is about $60 at Amazon. I would recommend using CAT6 cable for this, I have this setup to get HD to a Kitchen television from a HR24 and it works well. As far as DirecTV helping you out with the early termination fee, you might could call and see if they could do anything. They are not advertising that they are, and I kind of doubt it.

So I cant just split the coax cable outside of the house? I could run the component at my kids rooms as they are side by side, but I will have a tough time getting anything except the coax that is already there to my office.

I have 7 tv's in the house, and when we had a house full of kids I had Dish so everybody could watch different programs, from 3 boxes/six tuners. Now that it's just the two of us, I switched to DirecTV. We have four boxes, for the four tv's that get most of the use. The 3 tv's in the basement, workout room/office/game room are all on one coax feed from an H25. I'm using the component output into an adapter that has a coax output. For controllers we use our phones or my iPad. There are apps for either Apple or Android. As long as you have the Whole House or MRV setup so its on your home network anyway that works great, with no problems of distance or interference.

I have 7 tv's in the house, and when we had a house full of kids I had Dish so everybody could watch different programs, from 3 boxes/six tuners. Now that it's just the two of us, I switched to DirecTV. We have four boxes, for the four tv's that get most of the use. The 3 tv's in the basement, workout room/office/game room are all on one coax feed from an H25. I'm using the component output into an adapter that has a coax output. For controllers we use our phones or my iPad. There are apps for either Apple or Android. As long as you have the Whole House or MRV setup so its on your home network anyway that works great, with no problems of distance or interference.

Does your setup with the component adapter then carry HD over the coax?

Bogy said:

Which phone app are you using for a remote control?

We are using the DirecTV Remote Lite on our Android phones. Free, and works well.

As far as the two extra TV sets go, you could get an HDMI splitter and an HDMI extender over ethernet and it would work. You could get the RF remote kit for the H25's and control them from the remote room. I use a ViewHD 1x2 splitter from Amazon it is about $40, and the TrippLite HDMI Over CAT5/CAT6 Wallplate Extender it is about $60 at Amazon. I would recommend using CAT6 cable for this, I have this setup to get HD to a Kitchen television from a HR24 and it works well. As far as DirecTV helping you out with the early termination fee, you might could call and see if they could do anything. They are not advertising that they are, and I kind of doubt it.

just switched from direct to dish......... direct is offering to pay UP TO $200.00 in cancellation fees, for me to come back.

Wow, $200 isn't to shabby. That would cover my ETF. I know you would be a returning so it might be different. I might have to wait on the Directv everywhere app to come though. My son uses the sling adapter at college sometimes to catch up on our local news and such. I actually forgot all about that until he mentioned it. From my understanding this feature is supposed to be coming soon for D*?

E* and D* have crazy business models for handling new and existing customers. After being away from D* for 2 months I'm also getting offers, including the $200 ETF assist, from D*. Maybe it has something to do with accounting policies.

I worked for AT&T after the breakup. They owned a brand new building near Allentown, PA which was virtually unoccupied. The group I worked for paid to lease office space in a complex near their owned building because it was cheaper from an accounting standpoint at the department level to do this, even though from an overall corporate level it was more expensive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)