Dish Cutting off DishPix Sept. 29

I never heard of DishPix. The cheapest package on the website was Dish Family. Then, I heard of Welcome Package. DishPix seems even better when you can choose the channels you want. ESPN will be on my list.

Better find a time machine first :)

Just posting this as Iceberg's list had a few channels missing.

What is DishPix?

Dishpix is a seldom advertised programming alternative on E*. Rather than signing up for a fixed package like the Top40 or Top100CD, you get 10 channels of your choice for $15/month. There are some restrictions on your choices, however. The Disney networks, for instance, are not available as a choice. (Nor are any of the channels sold in premium packages).

The full list of available channels is: A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CBS Eye On People, Classic Sports Network, CNBC, CNN, CNN financial, CNN international, Comedy Central, Country Music Television, Court TV, C-Span, C-Span 2, Discovery Channel, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, EWTN, Family Channel, Game Show Channel, Headline News, History Channel, Home & Garden, Home Shopping Network, KTLA, Learning Channel, Lifetime, MSNBC, Nashville Network, NET, QVC, Sci-Fi Channel, TBN, TBS, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Travel Channel, TV Food Network, USA Network, Weather Channel, WGN, WPIX, WSBK, and WWOR.

I use a "disposable" credit card number. AMEX and VISA offer them. They work ONCE, then they don't work again.

As far as I know, AMEX dropped thier "Private Payments" (disposable/virtual card) option back in 2004.

I wish they would bring this back.
confused.gif

giant eagle our local dominant grocery store sells pre pay credit cards. with all the bad credit today they must be pretty popular

What happen if Dish already charge customers for DishPix from Sept-Oct time period and it will be cut off on Sept 29th, does this mean Dish will refund customers or let it on until the next stop billing date???

Probably wouldn't change Dish Network's mind since not many sub to the package. Probably so few and the deals that they have with the programmers prevent them or make it hard for them to continue a grandfathered package. Or maybe they wanted to clear it from their computer system.

Dish sent me an e-mail on Thursday which told me they were pulling the plug on DishPix. I find it odd they didn't say anything about it on my Sept. 5 bill, which provides service through Oct. 19. I'm set up for autopay. I'm considering waiting to see if the charge will post on the 25th and if they will continue my subscription beyond the cutoff date mentioned in the e-mail.

I selected DishPix when I bought my Dish system in 1998. I liked the ability to pick the channels in my satellite system. Several years ago I decided to freshen my channel lineup and learned that Dish no longer allowed me to make changes. In recent years I have only watched HGTV, Trinity Broadcasting Network and "Hoarders" on A&E. I generally watch a few hours of satellite programming a week.

With the exception of a price bump several months ago for WPIX, which I haven't watched in several years, the price had remained $15 throughout the years.

I'm not happy about the short notice. At least SkyAngel gave a few months notice before they pulled the plug on their satellite system. I'm also not happy about the likelihood that my only Dish options will be more expensive.

Hopefully Dish will make me an offer I can't refuse. But, the world has changed since 1998. TBN is available on my iPod. With a little effort I may find I can make it without Dish.

It is better that extend the station until the next cut off billing date then refunding customers on the day the channel got cut off.

No contract now. Never had one. Never will.

Been a Dish customer since almost day 1. Had to purchase equipment at that time and then pay with credit card - in advance, with NO auto-billing. Still don't have auto-billing either. When I pay with a credit card, either on the phone or on the INTERNET, I use a "disposable" credit card number. AMEX and VISA offer them. They work ONCE, then they don't work again.

Everything gets paid via CHECK.

I do not have a contract with my cell phone provider, either.

Simply do not believe in them.

That oughta keep the black helicopters away.

I called Dish at the number contained in the e-mail. The first time I called the CSR offered me America's Top 120 at $19.99. When I balked he offered me the Welcome Package at $9.99. After looking at what was included with each I called back today. Today's CSR quoted me $24.99 for the Top 120 package and $14.99 for the Welcome Pack. The $14.99 price included the Welcome Pack and my local channels.

I wound up going with the Welcome Pack & local channels for $15 a month. I have trouble getting DTV reliably over the air so this should take care of that problem. I had grown tired of most of my DishPix choices years ago, so I will actually wind up with more viewable channels once they make the switch.

Since I am still using my Dish 4000 receiver I'm going to have to wait for an installer to come and setup a new dish. My receiver does not show the 77W satellite. The CSR thinks upgrading the dish will cause the receiver to recognize the 77W bird. I hope she's right.

According to the CSR Dishpix will continue for me until the new dish is installed.

Looks like they are still using The Welcome Package as a retention tool then and still have the package available if you press them hard enough.

To keep a customer, $180+ tax a year is still a profit then losing a customer to Direct or cable. Cable (in selected states and cities) cheapest package is $30 a month which include locals, digital locals and selected cable network like Food Network, CNN, USA. This is good for 6 tvs.

I finally called Dish today to make the change and they must have been in a generous mood. They offered me Top 120 at $14.99 for 12 months. The only thing not working so far is my locals. I checked to make sure I was getting signal on the correct transponder and it looked ok at about 65. The channel numbers aren't showing up yet, however. Does anyone know if spotbeams take a while to propagate through the system? Or, is there something else I should look at? My locals are Traverse City, MI if it matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)