DISH/direcTV DVR differences?

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
Here's the situation ...

My parents are in their 70's and barely comprehend the capabilities of their DISH VIP 722k.

They are in NY Long Island area and I am considering switching them to DirecTV so my dad can get Rangers games on MSG. When I originally set them up on DISH several years ago, I specifically signed them up for MSG packages. Unfortunately, they lost MSG almost as soon as the contract was inked.

My concern is this - I've read on other threads that it took "some getting used to" DirecTV DVR menus, etc.

If I switch them and They have questions, they are going to expect me to answer their queries from here in Hawaii with no experience with DirecTV equipment.

So - if you have experience with both platforms, am I setting myself up for failure? Or is this easy enough to figure out?

How many TV's do they have? Is their 722k hooked up to 2 TV's,& if so,are they both HD? At their age,if they only have one TV & you want to set them up with DIRECTV,then get the THR-22 DIRECTiVo for them. Of course the DTV DVR's are different from the Dish Network ones. I have both services & each service has its pros & cons.

royrdsjr said:
How many TV's do they have? Is their 722k hooked up to 2 TV's,& if so,are they both HD? At their age,if they only have one TV & you want to set them up with DIRECTV,then get the THR-22 DIRECTiVo for them. Of course the DTV DVR's are different from the Dish Network ones. I have both services & each service has its pros & cons.

They have only one TV and it is HD.

They have only one TV and it is HD.

Go with the DIRECTiVo then,it's the old TiVo SD GUI,& your parents might find it easier to work with than the other DTV HR series DVR's. They are still working the bugs out of the HR34(although I understand that it's working a lot better now) & I doubt your parents would need 5 tuners for recording.

As far as normal DVR operation there is not much difference. 6 sec skip back instead of 10. 30 second slide forward instead of a jump, but I think there is a way to change that.

Honestly the biggest thing for me is the channels. Still learning new channel numbers and they just are not laid out as nice in the guide as dish is.

As far as normal DVR operation there is not much difference. 6 sec skip back instead of 10. 30 second slide forward instead of a jump, but I think there is a way to change that.

Honestly the biggest thing for me is the channels. Still learning new channel numbers and they just are not laid out as nice in the guide as dish is.

I have to agree with that. it is easier to watch TV on Dish because the channels are easier to find,but I also like MRV with DTV & being able to watch MLB Extra Innings & NFL Sunday Ticket. I use DTV for sports & DVR recording,& I use Dish for basic live TV watching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts