Dish Dispute with KUSA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CrimsonKnightDX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 19, 2015
Mile High
Just saw this come across the Facebook feed for KUSA in Denver. A new disputed has arisen. I could not get that link to work but here are the screen shots from the post that was shared.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443294622.905567.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443294637.956939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, not much to say about it. If you can get it OTA do that if the channel actually refuses to let DISH carry it. You can also ask for discount off your bill for a few months if it goes dark.
The FCC is getting ready to address these kinds of situations but has not yet.

Reactions: CrimsonKnightDX
Pretty much. Well what can we say? These disputes suck, but aren't knew and seem to be coming more common with dish.

Well, KUSA is owned by TEGNA, formerly known as Gannett company before they split into two companies. Gannett's TV and digital media divisions became TENGA while the print arm of Gannett retained the Gannett name.

And TEGNA owns my local ABC station WFAA (former Belo station that was acquired by Gannett/TEGNA when they bought out Belo a while back.) and they too are affected, so looks like TEGNA is about to have a dispute with Dish.

Plus WFAA and all other former Below stations now owned by TEGNA would be having their contract expire soon if their last deal which was reached in 2010 (which ended the 2010 Belo/Dish dispute without a force removal of their channels, this happened around the time of the FOX dispute that same time in 2010.) was a 5 year deal.

Edit: got the name wrong, corrected it, plus here's their wiki link:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegna,_Inc.

If you see you local station on the list of that page, then TEGNA owns it.

So this could get interesting. While I'm not with dish any longer, I still hope an agreement is reached soon.

C/P: Can't post link..private.

DISH is nearing the end of its contract with Tegna, the owner of KHOU, channel 11, the CBS affiliate in the Houston DMA. It’s unfortunate that Tegna has decided to involve our customers in contract negotiations by messaging about these negotiations through various media channels. Only Tegna can force a blackout of its channels. DISH is actively working to reach a deal before the contract expires. DISH has successfully negotiated agreements representing hundreds of stations in recent months that benefit all parties, including our viewers. We are unsure why Tegna has decided to involve customers in the contract negotiation process at a point when there is still time for the two parties to reach a mutually beneficial deal.

Yeah just hooked my antenna into my TV once more, previously had it hooked into my 722k OTA module but now that I have a Hopper w/Sling I don't have that module. Hopefully the dispute doesn't last too long but if worse comes to worse I'll just purchase the USB OTA module for my Hopper (have some programs that I want to record that come in over NBC).

Yeah just hooked my antenna into my TV once more, previously had it hooked into my 722k OTA module but now that I have a Hopper w/Sling I don't have that module. Hopefully the dispute doesn't last too long but if worse comes to worse I'll just purchase the USB OTA module for my Hopper (have some programs that I want to record that come in over NBC).
I would get it anyways just for the added channels you'd pick up even when not in a dispute.

Our local CBS station is owned by Tegna in southeast Texas too. So we just lost it during the national CBS dispute with DISH and now we will lose it again for this one. Last time I just set up manual timers to cover the primetime schedule on the ota channel,so I could still catch my shows , so I will do that again on October 1st ,if it is still in dispute.

WWL in New Orleans is affected, too. It is very popular around here and is a Tegna (formerly Belo) affiliate. Its sister station, WUPL, in New Orleans will also be affected; it is a MyNetworkTV affiliate.

Last edited:
No, KFDM CBS Channel 6 in Beaumont,Pt.Arthur,Texas dma located about 90 miles east of Houston.
Actually, I was wrong. Tegna owns our local ABC /NBC stations on 12.1 KBMT and 12.2 KJAC respectively. We did lose channel 6 KFDM recently but it was over the CBS national channel thing. So if we lose these two stations, it will definitely screw up my primetime viewing. I can only record one ota channel at a time, so this will cause some problems with my PTAT schedule. We have one company that broadcasts ABC/NBC in our area and one other company that owns the CBS/CW/Fox stations. So we only get two different viewpoints in our area because the split stations share the news cast teams on their respective stations. I could "move" back to Houston for the week and then I would only lose KHOU and could record it on KFDM channel 6 on our ota channel. Hopefully this dispute will be short lived and resolved the first day.

What KUSA Is now posting. I'm sure it's on all the TEGNA sites now.

Starting at 5 p.m. September 30, KUSA may not be available on DISH. That means you could lose access to your favorite NBC programming, including NFL Sunday Night Football, entertainment programming such as The Voice, Law & Order: SVU, Chicago PD and the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, as well as your local news, weather and sports. Tell DISH to keep KUSA, by calling 1-855-318-0572.

Information about KUSA on DISH

In order for our station, KUSA, to be delivered to your home, we negotiate agreements for the rights to carry our station with video service providers like DISH. KUSA has agreements in place with all of the video providers in our area, including Charter, Comcast, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable. In fact, we have never had a service disruption with a major distributor before. Over the past several years, we have successfully reached multi-year agreements with some of the largest distributors in the country, including Charter, Comcast, Cox Cable and Cable One without any disruption for our viewers.

Unfortunately, so far DISH has refused to reach a fair, market-based agreement with us – even though the terms being offered are similar to those which allowed us to reach deals with these other providers. If a deal is not reached by 5 p.m. on September 30, DISH subscribers could lose access to KUSA.

Fierce is reporting:
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/di.../2015-09-28?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) said Tegna Media has rejected its offer to extend its current retrans deal beyond its Oct. 1 expiration and is threatening to black out its 51 stations in 39 markets.

"Only Tegna can choose to black out its channels," said Dish Senior VP of Programming Warren Schlichting in a statement. "Dish is actively working to reach a deal before the contract expires. We have offered a contract extension to Tegna, including a retroactive 'true up' when new rates are agreed upon, to keep the channels available to customers in the event that we are unable to reach a deal by the deadline."

On its station websites, Tegna -- formerly Gannett -- has begun warning Dish subscribers of the usual peril associated with such retrans disputes.

"Starting at 5 p.m. September 30, KUSA may not be available on Dish," reads a warning posted on Denver NBC affiliate KUSA-TV. "That means you could lose access to your favorite NBC programming, including NFL Sunday Night Football, entertainment programming such as The Voice, Law & Order: SVU, Chicago PD and the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, as well as your local news, weather and sports. Tell Dish to keep KUSA by calling 1-855-318-0572."

Dish's issue with Tegna is among several looming major blackouts for the satellite TV industry. Media General, which operates 71 stations in 48 markets, is including "Attention DirecTV Customer!" links on all of its station websites. The links take users to a page, informing them that Media General must, "by law," remove its signals from DirecTV's (NYSE: T) program guides by 11:59 p.m. EST on Sept. 30 if a new retrans deal isn't made with the satellite company.

Not only does DirecTV's new parent company, AT&T, have to deal with Media General, it's also facing the prospect of Tribune Media blacking out its channels on U-verse Thursday.

The heightened retrans drama comes as the FCC is considering major change to laws governing broadcast retransmission negotiations. Broadcasters are driving hard bargains, anxious to carve the best possible retrans terms before new rules are enacted and take effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)