Dish dispute with Media General looming.....has it been 3 years already?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Yup...March 31st Media General stations could leave DIsh. Looking through the archives here it was 3 years ago when they had the SAME dispute.

Media General stations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_General#Current_Media_General_stations

http://klfy.com/2016/03/25/attention-dish-subscribers/
http://wbay.com/2016/03/25/attention-dish-subscribers/

basically the same verbage across the MG stations except for the station

On March 31, 2016, at 5:59 PM (CT), DISH’s contract to carry ABC 2 will expire. After granting DISH six weeks of contract extensions, we have yet to reach an agreement. We continue to work hard to reach a new agreement, however, as a trusted source for news and information, it is important to keep our viewers informed when a contract deadline approaches and a new agreement has not yet been reached. By law, if we do not reach an agreement, DISH can no longer carry ABC 2.

by the way, Media General is in the process of being purchased by Nexstar but there are some issues that need ot be taken care of first...mainly in markets where there is both MG & Nexstar what station Nexstar wants to keep and what station is going to get sold off.

Reactions: jcanavera
MG went through this with Directv 6 months ago and settled without losing station. Will Dish follow??

Or will MG? Obviously we will never know that story.
huh? I said that MG and Directv settled without the stations being lost on Directv. I didnt say who blinked or what the terms were. I just said they reached an agreement (settled) without the stations being lost.

Reactions: jcanavera
I saw someone post something aboiut it. Was shocked to see them post the truth, and facts. I have gained respect. No negotiating in bad faith and playing the consumer. Allowing the customer to know the situation with how carriage contracts work, compared to doing what most everyone, Comcast most recently, has done and tells consumers that "Dish is going to take the channels away".

huh? I said that MG and Directv settled without the stations being lost on Directv. I didnt say who blinked or what the terms were. I just said they reached an agreement (settled) without the stations being lost.
And my point WAS we don't know how it got settled or who blinked.

I saw someone post something aboiut it. Was shocked to see them post the truth, and facts. I have gained respect. No negotiating in bad faith and playing the consumer. Allowing the customer to know the situation with how carriage contracts work, compared to doing what most everyone, Comcast most recently, has done and tells consumers that "Dish is going to take the channels away".
Do you have a link? I'd be interested in what was said and by who (whom?).

It was on Facebook, If you go to the Dish page and visitors posts, scroll down until you see them mention it. I about fell out of my chair.... which would have been bad because I was on my FB porcelain throne.

This is what I found.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 424
But mines a picture and doesn't require linking... Jk. I was at work. I didn't click your links.
Its OK. I did copy the text in the 1st post from one of the sites (WBAY). Its the same across the board except for the station involved :)

This whole issue is just getting old. There is only so much money to go around. Every channel wants more, but customers do not to pay more. They want stations and channels to start falling

Just saw it on my CBS local (Portland, OR), Media General owns too many channels - 71 television stations in 48 markets! So tired of being held hostage without any options (no OTA locals available).

Also saw this which complicates things even more:
http://www.americancable.org/node/5664
It's just going to get worse, Nexstar is acquiring Media General, which will make them control a total of about 171 stations. That is if the FCC allows the merger to occur.

It's just going to get worse, Nexstar is acquiring Media General, which will make them control a total of about 171 stations. That is if the FCC allows the merger to occur.
I'm sure the FCC will allow the merger. Nexstar just has to figure out what to do with the stations they cant have. There are 8 or 9 makrets where there is both a MG and a Nexstar station. So Nexstar can't own both. Meredith has hinted they want 1st crack at the stations Nexstar can't keep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)