Dish dispute with Sinclair...reached deal in principle

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Here's my thoughts on the possible future feud between DISH/SBG since my local ABC and MyNetworkTV are owned by them. For DISH Network subscribers, since we used to be subscribers until 2009. Also, I care about the people not greed and the controversial retransmission consent curse.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow i just coincidentally found this on twitter a minute ago. The retransmission thing really needs to go. Why can cable get a neighboring affiliate but satellite cant? that makes no sense to me.

I wonder if the hopper in those affected markets will continue to record the other stations left , or if Prime time anytime depends on all 4 to work at all. I know presently if you don't have all 4 networks , PTAT won't work in your dma. But if you lose one or two ,due to this dispute, will this still be the rule ?

Mike, I believe PTAT is now customizable to include any of the 4 networks to be saved, thus if one of them is no longer there/transmitting, you should be able to just exclude it from PTAT and it might continue to work.

Here's my thoughts on the possible future feud between DISH/SBG since my local ABC and MyNetworkTV are owned by them. For DISH Network subscribers, since we used to be subscribers until 2009. Also, I care about the people not greed and the controversial retransmission consent curse.

10 days of hell huh? (Viacom and D*)..little overdramatic there huh?
for 98.5% of the people they really didnt care that Viacom was gone. But I'm sure you saw the episodes of degrassi that you "missed" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
cable back then was basically someone who put up an antenna (or antennas) as high up as they could legally (maybe ;)) to gather distant TV stations for an area. In some areas this was the first "cable tv"

from another site that deals with radio and TV here is a post from someone who mentions their "awesome" lineup in the mid 60's
Pikeville, KY in the mid 60's...

WSAZ 3 Huntington, WV
WCYB 5 Bristol, TN
WCHS 8 Charleston, WV
WJHL 11 Johnson City, TN
WHTN 13 Huntington, WV

IIRC...that was the full line-up
after sign-offs (remember them?)...all bets were off as to what would show up

I do remember sign offs for radio and tv... but prob after the age of 11 those seemed to disappear rapidly. They only "sign-off" now when they are doing an upgrade or maintenance.

I do remember sign offs for radio and tv... but prob after the age of 11 those seemed to disappear rapidly. They only "sign-off" now when they are doing an upgrade or maintenance.

The market down the road from where I live (Mankato, MN) still signs off nightly. Its a CBS main Fox subchannel (only station in market). CBS signs off at 1:07 from Tuesday-Saturday (morning...after Friends) and 12:35 Sunday-Monday. The Fox subchannel is 12:35 each night unless like Nascar ran long. Both do the national anthem, then color bars for 1/2 hour (Fox) or a minute (CBS) then they shut off the transmitter. Use to be on Directv (since I get CBS on there) it was color bars or just the TV slate until 5AM. Now its color bars, then black screen for 10 seconds when they shut off the transmitter then paid programs until 5AM when they sign back on (cable, Directv and Dish have a direct connection from the studio).

Cable became big in the 70s but someone posted (from the same site as the earlier list) that their area had "cable" in the 50's
The first I experience was Whitesburg, Kentucky. That system was created in the early 50's by a local radio/TV retailer. The line-up was the following

circa the 1970's:

2) ABC-WHTN (WOWK) Huntington, WV/WKPT Kingsport, TN/WLOS Asheville, NC
3) PBS-WSJK Sneedville, TN/WKHA (KET) Hazard, KY. When PBS was off the air or for Reds games it was WSAZ (NBC) Huntington, WV
4) CBS-WJHL Johnson City, TN/WBIR Knoxville, TN
5) NBC WKYH Hazard, KY (Became WYMT (CBS) in 1985)
6) NBC WHIS (WVVA) Bluefield, WV/WCYB Bristol/WATE Knoxville

As you can tell, it was a challenge to watch syndicated programming as the line up would change based on atmospheric conditions and the whim of the

cable company.

I know a town 45 miles north of me (ponca city) gets 3 NBC stations. OKC Tulsa and Wichita. Its totally unfair to us satellite customers that cable companies can do this!

dont get me started on that ;)
but it goes back to the rules satellite agreed to when locals were able to be broadcast on satellite.

In some markets they get 2 or even 3 of a network on cable yet satellite can't. Really gets folks steaming when they are between 2 markets (like 100 miles or so) and Nielsen says you are in X market when logical would be market Y. The ones that dont make sense is when a actual city that has stations is allowed a distant net just because. Rochester, MN has all the nets there (can be easily grabbed with an antenna) yet they still carry all the Big 4 but NBC there on cable.

sorry for the OT rants ;)

i remember in the early 90s when my local WBBJ would sign off at midnight with the national anthem.

in this day and age of showing replays of news or paid programs overnight very few stations sign off at night. Ironically in the market I use to live in (Duluth, MN ) both PBS and Fox sign off nightly (thats a 5 station market...Big 4 + PBS)

Iceberg said:
in this day and age of showing replays of news or paid programs overnight very few stations sign off at night. Ironically in the market I use to live in (Duluth, MN ) both PBS and Fox sign off nightly (thats a 5 station market...Big 4 + PBS)

I believe KTBS 3 in Shreveport still does.

I believe KTBS 3 in Shreveport still does.

looks like only weekends. The ones I posted above sign off nightly :)

per wiki they dont even "sign off" anymore

As of 2012, KTBS remains one of the few television stations in the United States that continues to sign-off during the overnight hours. The station signs off on Friday nights (or early Saturday mornings) from 1:05 to 4 a.m. and on Saturday nights (or early Sunday mornings) from 1:45 to 5 a.m. But instead of a usual sign-off, its weather radar is displayed instead.

I know a town 45 miles north of me (ponca city) gets 3 NBC stations. OKC Tulsa and Wichita. Its totally unfair to us satellite customers that cable companies can do this!

It may have changed since my college days, but Stillwater gets both Tulsa and OKC locals on cable. I know I had them both when I lived on campus and when I moved off campus.

I remember in the late 70's early 80's staying up till midnight or 1am in the summers watching old movies at my grandparents ranch in Seminole and KFOR and OETA would sign off and then an hour or so later KWTV. We lived on the highest point in Seminole County and I could hit the rotor and swing the antenna around to the south and southwest to pick up KTEN and KSWO from Ada and Lawton or around to the NE to get KTUL from Tulsa, as they stayed on the air a little later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)