Dish Distant Networks satellites

chicobiker

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Was just looking at the Dish for my RV page and reading about Dish's Distant networks. They want you to buy a tailgater antenna and a vip211k receiver which will get 110, 119 and 129 sats yet they put the East Coast HD and the West Coast SD distant networks on a 72 degree sat? That doesn't make much sense to me unless I'm missing something. Aren't RV types the only ones who would even qualify to receive distant networks. I would think they would want all their Distant Network channels on the conus beams.

I would think they would want all their Distant Network channels on the conus beams.
They all are on CONUS beams. The issue of HD and SD is determined by the FCC. The WA is HD for Los Angeles and SD for New York because you can't receive HD (NY) before the local broadcast channels. The EA has New York is HD and Los Angeles is SD since it is not easy to get the EA in California. While there is no reason for Los Angeles to be in SD on the EA, I think it is a matter of balancing the WA and EA offerings.

They all are on CONUS beams. The issue of HD and SD is determined by the FCC. The WA is HD for Los Angeles and SD for New York because you can't receive HD (NY) before the local broadcast channels. The EA has New York is HD and Los Angeles is SD since it is not easy to get the EA in California. While there is no reason for Los Angeles to be in SD on the EA, I think it is a matter of balancing the WA and EA offerings.

Thanks much for the explanation. Oh, and I meant CONUS beams that the tailgater could receive 110, 119 and 129. I should have been more specific. Was not aware that they also worked with the Eastern arc sats too. Thanks again.

When did this change take place?

Darn good question; I didn't see any mention of a Tailgater on Eastern Arc. I believe it's Western Arc only due to the proximity of 72.7 and 77, and the small size of the Tailgater dish.

I've never seen anything that says it works with the EA as it does with the WA. The Dish website even goes so far as to say in the East you may not be able to see the 129 satellite, but can still see 110/119. Note they do not suggest to go to the EA in that case.....

I am confused about the Distant Network offering from DISH for RV accounts. A friend just retired and signed up for the RV Pay as you GO account and ordered Distant networks at the same time. He was transferred to MyDistantNetworks that offered New York and/or San Francisco.

All the marketing on DISH's website indicates NY and LA are the channels offered.

I thought DISH was going to offer Distants themselves instead of AllAmericanDirect.

He is being charged $9.99 per month for the Locals and East Coast Distants (NY).

Don't know who transferred them to AAD but Dish definitely offers DNS and when you get done, the price is the same as Locals and you get NY in SD and LA in HD.

AAD has no HD and costs $10 more.

I find out from him if he has HD or not when it gets activated (he just sent his RV Registration). The $9.99/month includes his Local channels (from his home ZIP Code) and the NY Distants. The locals don't show up on his DISH Network online account and monthly fees.

I guess he could call DISH directly and find out. He thought he was calling DISH directly to activate when he called the number on the sleeve of the receiver when he bought it at Camping World. The 800 number on the sleeve was different than the number on the posters in the Camping World store that appeared to send him to Winegard to activate DISH Pay-as-you-go service. The receiver sleeve had two 800 numbers, one for new customers and one for existing DISH customers.

That explains more. He kept his Locals and because of that, Dish could not supply the DNS channels.

Locals do not show in the Dish subscription because they are included in the package.

But for sure, AAD has no HD Channels, as I can attest when I lost them when AAD lost the HD transceivers.

That explains more. He kept his Locals and because of that, Dish could not supply the DNS channels.

Locals do not show in the Dish subscription because they are included in the package.

But for sure, AAD has no HD Channels, as I can attest when I lost them when AAD lost the HD transceivers.

Interesting, since AAD's website shows NY HD on the 72 deg satellite... SD on the 119 satellite.

Interesting, since AAD's website shows NY HD on the 72 deg satellite... SD on the 119 satellite.
Please include the URL to that data.

The FAQs for AAD says:
[h=3]Where will I receive my channels?[/h] Standard definition Distant Network channels will be on channels 241 to 248 on your DISH Network system. Technical Programming Note: SD Channels are available on the 119 Degree Satellite

One has nothing to do with the other. AAD is a separate company, anyone with a dish receiver pointed at 119 can get distants from them. (If you qualify for distants - RV'rs always do, homes where you can't get a signal with an antenna do etc..) What you get from Dish network is a separate thing. And Dish can not give you distants for your home.... (with the most extreme little exceptions...)

You could have the distants from AAD and the ones from Dish if you want for your RV. (AAD has San Francisco for the West, Dish has LA - both have NY for the East) or you could have locals from Dish and the Distants from AAD.

AAD is nothing more than a Dish workaround for the FCC's change in retransmission laws.Their proceeds go into an offshore account that is frequented by Joe. AAD's callcenter is ran out of a studio apartment and consists of one mentally challenged woman named Barb.