Dish dropped my local CBS affiliate WOWK...help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

robillionaire

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
ky
I got an email today stating that Dish is no longer carrying my local channel 13 CBS WOWK based in Charleston, WV. (I live in east KY). The station has now been replaced by a loop of some woman from DISH talking about how it's all the station's fault for demanding a rate increase and yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, is there anything I can do to change my address to change my local stations to something else like maybe Lexington, KY or really just ANYTHING so I can watch CBS again? I don't even live in WV and I don't care about that local news, I just want CBS back. What can I do?

I was already considering canceling my service and going with a competitor, since DISH took AMC away so I can't watch TWD anymore. This is pretty much the last straw.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. It's facing south/southeast. It doesn't necessarily have to be Lexington, but really just any other market to where I can still watch CBS, if it's even possible. Thanks again.

you'd be fine with Lexington. You have what they call an "Eastern Arc" dish of which Lexington locals are on a satellite (77W) on Eastern Arc

You'd just have to "move" there...and it doesnt have to be Lexington proper. Any location in their market you can move to (click on link to see what counties are where)
http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/kentucky.gif

What about the Bristol Tri-Cities market? Would that be in the same Arc? I have family that live in Letcher Co. (SE area of the map you posted, in pink) and it might be easier to pull it off that way, since I actually have a real address there...

I just looked and no the Tri-Cities market is on Western Arc which you wouldnt be able to get those channels
Knoxville is on Eastern Arc

Okay then, thanks again for all the advice! :D I'll probably give them a week or so to see if they get their act together before I actually go through with it...

Do you think there's any chance they'll just switch everyone that lives in this area into another market? Are they legally obligated to stay with this blacked out station preventing us all from watching CBS? I would just call and ask nicely but I'm afraid if they say no then I'll have blown my opportunity to "move" without them catching on.

Legally Dish cannot import a station to a market unless it is missing that affiliate. Some markets don't have the full slate of networks. If there is a disagreement at renewal time and the channel gets pulled (as in this case) you are screwed.

Now if there normally is no station in the market then yes Dish could. As example in Parkersburg, WV the market is only NBC and Fox. CBS & ABC are imported from somewhere else. The ABC Dish gave Parkersburg was one that was dropped (WBOY-DT2) so Dish is allowed to give them a different ABC, which they did with Charleston's ABC.

But in your case you have to wait until they reach an agreement

how do i move there without actually moving? im confused

If you have a dish pointed at the proper satellites, you can "move" by changing your service address but keeping the same billing address. You must pick a valid address in the DMA that you wish to "move" to. If you wish to "move" to Lexington, KY, then pick the address of a movie theater, post office, car wash, etc. You can check to see what locals you would receive from the Dish website.

But keep in mind that you must be in the spot beam for those locals. For example, if you live in Omaha don't expect to get New Orleans stations. If you tell us what city you are in and what channels you'd like to see we might be able to assist you in finding out if that is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts